Who's in favor of burying the Wildcat?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Instead of pulling it from the playbook, practice more and learn how to make it successful. Don’t go immediately to give up.

Good play, and we never see it again. So it seems.
Bad play, and we never see it again.
Pretty soon we run out of plays.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
Instead of pulling it from the playbook, practice more and learn how to make it successful. Don’t go immediately to give up.

Good play, and we never see it again. So it seems.
Bad play, and we never see it again.
Pretty soon we run out of plays.
I don't think the Cowboys have the right personell for it

Mark

Reaction score
Not sure what they were trying to accomplish with it? Every defensive player knows the recipient of the snap is going to run. Unless said recipient is able to fool everyone by flipping the ball to the wide-out QB for a legit throw.

It might work in high school, or mid-major college...but not in the NFL.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
Not sure what they were trying to accomplish with it? Every defensive player knows the recipient of the snap is going to run. Unless said recipient is able to fool everyone by flipping the ball to the wide-out QB for a legit throw.

It might work in high school, or mid-major college...but not in the NFL.
This gimmick had limited sucess for one season and defenses caught up with it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My take on the Wildcat is it’s too early to know if it can work. It didn’t today. But on two particular plays I watched, I actually stopped it and rewound it to look at the blocking. Several guys whiffed blocks and that’s without being able to see every player in an ”All 22” view.

My bigger point is this: Sometimes the success or failure playcalling and formations is not about the “call” but about execution. I’m always amused in the Game Day thread when a play doesn’t work, many fans scream, “Stop calling that play”, or “What a bad call”. When a play works of course it‘s a “great call”.

Plays work almost totally based on the quality of the execution of all 11 players in the play. The Wildcat looked bad today. But I’m not convinced it’s a “bad formation”. Today, it looked like bad execution.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I simply don't get the philosophy behind snapping it to a guy who doesn't present a threat to throw the ball, and having a guy who's not a real threat to catch the ball (the QB) out as a WR. In what universe is that better than just snapping it to the QB?

It also bugs me that the wildcat, which means something very specific, is now used to refer to all plays involving a direct snap to someone other than the QB. But that ship has sailed.

Praxit

Reaction score
My take on the Wildcat is it’s too early to know if it can work. It didn’t today. But on two particular plays I watched, I actually stopped it and rewound it to look at the blocking. Several guys whiffed blocks and that’s without being able to see every player in an ”All 22” view.

My bigger point is this: Sometimes the success or failure playcalling and formations is not about the “call” but about execution. I’m always amused in the Game Day thread when a play doesn’t work, many fans scream, “Stop calling that play”, or “What a bad call”. When a play works of course it‘s a “great call”.

Plays work almost totally based on the quality of the execution of all 11 players in the play. The Wildcat looked bad today. But I’m not convinced it’s a “bad formation”. Today, it looked like bad execution.
..i actually think it could work. I mean the opportunity is there, because both backs are fast. But your right, if the execution prevails, it's probably 7-8 yd gain.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That was God awful. Pull that out of the playbook and burn it.
I don’t necessarily have a problem with it when the offense is struggling and nothing is working well.

But when the QB and receivers are balling out and the passing game is humming. It makes zero sense to use it.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Taking the ball out of Dak’s hands when he’s on a hot streak isn’t a good idea.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
People people people.. This was about putting something on film that upcoming opponents will have to prepare for .. nothing more nothing less. I didn't have a problem with it the first time because I think it was misread by the back. Maybe the second time they convinced Big Mac that they had it worked out and he believed them. LOL!

madcow74

Reaction score
Don't do it when you are driving down the field pretty well with standard up the gut plays. Then you kill that drive with a stupid triple reverse followed by a wr screen.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
That was God awful. Pull that out of the playbook and burn it.
As soon as the announcer said Wildcat. I said, “how stupid”!
You knew it would be a run AND so did the defense.

If you’re a D coordinator and not prepared for the Wildcat you should be fired on the spot. Everyone should load the box playing tight man to man, just in case the RB decides to throw the ball. LOL

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
People people people.. This was about putting something on film that upcoming opponents will have to prepare for .. nothing more nothing less. I didn't have a problem with it the first time because I think it was misread by the back. Maybe the second time they convinced Big Mac that they had it worked out and he believed them. LOL!
Everyone is already prepared for it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
As soon as the announcer said Wildcat. I said, “how stupid”!
You knew it would be a run AND so did the defense.

If you’re a D coordinator and not prepared for the Wildcat you should be fired on the spot. Everyone should load the box playing tight man to man, just in case the RB decides to throw the ball. LOL
Some RBs can throw the hell outta the ball. Some even played QB in high school or college. When I was in college I could sling it 50-60 yards. Used to let fly in practice on the halfback pass and never missed. But much to my chagrin the coach never called it in a game. It would have been glorious! I have a feeling one of our RBs can low key sling it too. And we're gonna see it at some point.