Who's our punt returner?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Will rookie wide receiver CeeDee Lamb return punts Sunday in the season opener against the Los Angeles Rams? “When I was in Oakland, Al Davis once got mad at me. He said ‘Never give information, only get it,’” special teams coordinator John Fassel said. “That one stuck with me, about 12 years ago. So, tune in.” Lamb, wide receiver Cedrick Wilson and cornerback Trevon Diggs were among the punt returners during training camp.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Madness to expose CD's health and psyche to further chance of injury.
Madness.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Anybody here remember the Giants allowing their Pro Bowl DB, Jason Sehorn
to return a punt in pre-season? It didn't end well, but it did end his career.

With that said, if we had an elite returner who also happened to be a starter, I'd
be all for it. The Patriots did it with Wes Welker and Julian Edelman.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
For all you peeps thinking Wilson is the best option...he can do it...but he isn't great @ it. Said it a few weeks ago...letting Tavon Austin walk was a mistake...this is just begging Lamb to get hurt

yeah he’s hurt again

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I don’t want our rookies getting hurt. Diggs and CeeDee are the last ones that need to be out there.

Cedrick Wilson is perfect for this role. Jourdan Lewis as well (although I think he’s injured for the time being). Someone fast, but also “dispensable”. CeeDee and Diggs are not to be wasted away on something like punt returns. I understand wanting to upgrade our special teams, but we cannot our our offense and defense at risk along with that.

J-man

Reaction score
I think CD is the most dynamic returner we have and I'd use him, but not on every routine punt. He'd only be in there late in the game when the score was tight. Hopefully giving the offense better field position and also to give the team a boost of energy. When a returner breaks off a big return, regardless if he scores, it fires the team up. I think Lamb could do that better than Wilson or Diggs. 4th quarter close game, Lamb should get a shot to do something electric with the football.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Will rookie wide receiver CeeDee Lamb return punts Sunday in the season opener against the Los Angeles Rams? “When I was in Oakland, Al Davis once got mad at me. He said ‘Never give information, only get it,’” special teams coordinator John Fassel said. “That one stuck with me, about 12 years ago. So, tune in.” Lamb, wide receiver Cedrick Wilson and cornerback Trevon Diggs were among the punt returners during training camp.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer
the one that trots out on the first PR.. MM is not lettings us know so we wont.. I want to see CEEDEE do it..we want the best players starting all positions do we not..no protecting players especially a rookie that has the potential to be a dynamic returner..

CEDDEE go get us some highlights..

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
"Hidden yards" isn't a cliche'. Statistically your chances of scoring increase 10% for every 10 yards you start closer to the goal from your side of midfield. Once you cross midfield the percentage grows even faster. Field position and scoring

Having a guy making fair catches on your 9 yard line vs a guy who can bring it back 10-11 yards matters. Some teams have figured that out when you see who they've used back there - Pro Bowl receivers like Julian Edelman and Antonio Brown.

Other teams (cough*Cowboys*cough) are afraid of turnovers or injuries so they put a scrub back there, then complain when they can't drive 90 yards all day.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Bob Hayes, Deon Sanders, and Dez Bryant all returned punts.
If Lamb is the best returner, put him out there!

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think if 19 is a no go Sunday, then that will rule either WR returning punts. They would be risking running way short on WR if an injury were to happen. If 19 is a go, then Wilson or Diggs should be the first to return punts. Maybe a little CD on punts that could be fielded around mid field. His open field ability will be a good asset in those type of situations.

Plankton

Reaction score
I see why our special teams sucked last year. Too many people on this board want to play it safe in Garrett mode.

What would Jimmy Johnson do?

He had his #3 receiver return punts. First was Kelvin Martin, and then Kevin Williams in his last year. Didn't result in either of them getting injured, and both were very good returners.

DFWJC

Reaction score
For all you peeps thinking Wilson is the best option...he can do it...but he isn't great @ it. Said it a few weeks ago...letting Tavon Austin walk was a mistake...this is just begging Lamb to get hurt
Tavon is already on IR