Who's our punt returner?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Anybody here remember the Giants allowing their Pro Bowl DB, Jason Sehorn
to return a punt in pre-season? It didn't end well, but it did end his career.

With that said, if we had an elite returner who also happened to be a starter, I'd
be all for it. The Patriots did it with Wes Welker and Julian Edelman.
It was a kick return. Didnt know we had so many cowards in the fanbase. Then again, looking back I see it

aikemirv

Reaction score
Why do fans think returning punts is anymore dangerous than catching a pass.
You are still going to take a big hit sometimes.

the gunners at blockers are more at risk than the returner.
Yeah, really not different than a crossing route honestly!

reddyuta

Reaction score
I wouldnt put Ceedee out there,Amari is a perennially injured WR and you cannot trust him to stay healthy,

RoboQB

Reaction score
It was a kick return. Didnt know we had so many cowards in the fanbase. Then again, looking back I see it

Not sure I understand the coward reference.
I named two guys that have done it regularly.

The same people demanding to put a starter on special teams are
usually the first to gripe when the player gets injured.

As I mentioned, if the guy is elite, I'd be all for it. I'd take that chance.

People remember Dez returning punts as a rookie. What they forget is that
he was awful at it in his second year. They pulled him off the return team
because of it.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I bet you didn't know this, but that was really Rodney "Lucky" Darnell Whitehead Jr. who returned that kickoff.
Not sure what you mean as it says Lucky Whitehead on the video image who was on the team back then.

It was in no way a suggestion as to who would be the returner Sunday, but rather showing a highlight of the opening play of the Cowboys at the Ram in a pre-season game a few years ago.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fassel has yet to say but we do know Lamb is an option who has been working on punt return during camp. Cedrick Wilson would likely be the other option

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Got bigger fish to fry than worrying about who is returning kicks,,,
Who is blocking Donald is my primary concern at this point.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Madness to expose CD's health and psyche to further chance of injury.
Madness.
His psyche? Do we have a concern that it is fragile? Wonder what good it would do for his psyche if he returned a punt for a TD?

In any case, he likely will play fewer snaps than Cooper or Gallup anyway, so why not give him a few extra snaps fielding punts? 60% will probably be fair catches anyway.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Got bigger fish to fry than worrying about who is returning kicks,,,
Who is blocking Donald is my primary concern at this point.
I don't think people in this thread are suggesting it is the overriding concern with the team.

conner01

Reaction score
If it's not Cedee I'm looking at McCarthy as going towards Garrett trajectory.
Lamb is not the best punt return guy we have
I’m not scared to have him return punts
I just prefer the better return guy

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of having a dedicated return guy. I think it's a special skill set and craft that doesn't really mesh with anything else. That person needs to do almost all their work field and returning kicks. Learning to read your blockers in the heat of the moment isn't possible returning kicks here and there in practice. It's one of the reasons, in my opinion, the Cowboys haven't had a good return team in years. I don't even care who it is, really, but I want returns to be that persons only job.

lkelly

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean as it says Lucky Whitehead on the video image who was on the team back then.

It was in no way a suggestion as to who would be the returner Sunday, but rather showing a highlight of the opening play of the Cowboys at the Ram in a pre-season game a few years ago.
After more investigation, it was really Deyvon Marquette Newman.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Maybe not week 1, but CeeDee is for sure getting a shot at PR.

Injuries are more common on kickoffs.
There aren't five o-lineman on the field. Everyone out there can run, and they get a running start to get up to full steam

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Will rookie wide receiver CeeDee Lamb return punts Sunday in the season opener against the Los Angeles Rams? “When I was in Oakland, Al Davis once got mad at me. He said ‘Never give information, only get it,’” special teams coordinator John Fassel said. “That one stuck with me, about 12 years ago. So, tune in.” Lamb, wide receiver Cedrick Wilson and cornerback Trevon Diggs were among the punt returners during training camp.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Biggest way to change the special teams direction of this team is by putting a playmaker back there on punt returns. That can flip field position quickly.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
His psyche? Do we have a concern that it is fragile? Wonder what good it would do for his psyche if he returned a punt for a TD?

In any case, he likely will play fewer snaps than Cooper or Gallup anyway, so why not give him a few extra snaps fielding punts? 60% will probably be fair catches anyway.

My apologies for any inconveniences to your psyche.

starfan1

Reaction score
thought I heard Pollard and Cedrick will split those duties