Why all the love for Gibbs?

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Nors said:
I respect Gibbs the coach.

There is little doubt he is turning that organization around.

NFC East on the rise. Slandering Gibbs is childish. Great coach.

thats ridiculous, he isn't slandering Gibbs he is merely asking how he got that reputation when all he is seeing is the opposite, and i for one would also like to know.Ii live in the dc area and i don't see him out feeding the homeless i don't have the slightest clue how he got such a reputation(other than that he is often a quiet man, but it seems when he says something about someone other than his team it is rarely nice).

jem88

Reaction score
Trip said:
Or early 80's either.
No not 'either'. He began coaching the Skins in the 80's. Gibbs is a legendary coach. Look at those 3 Super Bowl winners he had. Three different starting QBs, a number of different RBs. Last year wasn't very impressive, but I'd say he's done a good job this year.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Gibbs is a good man. He has a very moral & defined character. He gives tons of money to charities and doesn't want the publicity. He is a devoted Father and Husband. He is also devoted to his Faith and that takes a back seat to nothing. The man is a very good man and a very good coach.

That being said, I hope he loses the rest of his games this year.

I hate the Commanders!

I'll take that as a reason though........i havent heard any of those things other than he is very religous, but i'll just take your word for it.

playit12

Reaction score
Taylor_Can_Hit21 said:
...Okay bad coach is a bit much. By no means is he a bad coach. 3 superbowl rings says enough about this statement.

Hard to take the coach out of the system with Gibbs. It's all the rage to say how great of a coach BB is right now... but last year he had probably the best GM, OC, and DC out there. At least top three in those three spots. If his team drops further this year and all subsequent years are we still going to think he's a great coach? How much of his success was riding those contributors? I know he didn't do jack in his first HC job before he had them. If he continues to do well without them then he's proved his greatness in my mind. But if not...

As for Gibbs, what has he done lately? The team is stocked with very high draft picks at important skill positions (thanks to their lousy recent history). It's not like he inhereted the 49ers and their personal. This is a team that every year the scouts/stat gods have going to the playoffs, and every year they fail. Gibbs did a horrible job at coaching them last year (Bad challenges, bad time managment, horrible offense). The only strength of the team thus far has been GW defense, and it's exactly the same mold of defense he has created at two other franchises. So do we give Gibbs credit for that? Where is the Gibbs imprint? Is it in his high charecter draft class led by Sean Taylor?

Maybe he has some rust and it will take time to get back to form... so I'm with holding final judgement... but living in DC and watching all the games, I just haven't seen it yet.

JTnNC

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Gibbs is a good man. He has a very moral & defined character. He gives tons of money to charities and doesn't want the publicity. He is a devoted Father and Husband. He is also devoted to his Faith and that takes a back seat to nothing. The man is a very good man and a very good coach.

That being said, I hope he loses the rest of his games this year.

I hate the Commanders!

When I married my wife I promised to be devoted to her. when I joined my church I devoted my soul to Christ. when my daughter was born I promised her a better life than I had, I devoted myself to her. Those are all things that are a given when you make these promises. Am I a less classy man than Gibbs because I dont coach pro football?

Trip

Reaction score
jem88 said:
No not 'either'. He began coaching the Skins in the 80's. Gibbs is a legendary coach. Look at those 3 Super Bowl winners he had. Three different starting QBs, a number of different RBs. Last year wasn't very impressive, but I'd say he's done a good job this year.

He knows when to get out, too. His last season with the Skins saw the Cowboys on the verge of a dynasty. Should we expect to see him hang it up after this year?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Gibbs was and is a very fine coach and he deserves all the praise thrown his way. With that being said...childish or not, I still feel he's the biggest whinner in the NFL.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I'm not saying anything negative about Gibbs, but even when a call here or there in a game might be part of the reason we might lose a game, you would never ever know it by listening to BP. He just flat out does not complain about the officiating. There's something to be said for that.

Trip

Reaction score
Nors said:
Gibbs is a great Coach - move on

I'm just trying to shake up the Skins fans a little.....

But he's had some talented teams since he's come back, and he WAS a great coach. Like Playit12, I'll wait to see him win again before I call him GREAT again.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JTnNC said:
When I married my wife I promised to be devoted to her. when I joined my church I devoted my soul to Christ. when my daughter was born I promised her a better life than I had, I devoted myself to her. Those are all things that are a given when you make these promises. Am I a less classy man than Gibbs because I dont coach pro football?
The question become though, how many people know you to vote on that?

Gibbs is a good man in the public eye. Sometimes that isn't easy.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I hope this conversation continues.......very interesting topic. It's certainly more entertaining than the "Toot my own Horn" threads I have read the last couple of days.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
I hope this conversation continues.......very interesting topic. It's certainly more entertaining than the "Toot my own Horn" threads I have read the last couple of days.
:hammer:

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
JTnNC said:

Ummm, no. It has nothing to do with his coaching. It has to do with the content of his character. And because he coaches a football team does not deminish who you are. But you asked why does everyone say he is a good guy. I told you. If I knew you like I know Gibbs, I would say the same thing about you, if what you are saying is true.

playit12

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Ummm, no. It has nothing to do with his coaching. It has to do with the content of his character. And because he coaches a football team does not deminish who you are. But you asked why does everyone say he is a good guy. I told you. If I knew you like I know Gibbs, I would say the same thing about you, if what you are saying is true.

You know Gibbs?

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
JTnNC said:
I read frequently of what a great person Joe Gibbs is? You dont win 3 Super Bowls without being a great coach but what does he do to make everyone talk about what a good person he is. From what I see he is a sour sour man when he looses. He rufused to shake Parcells hand after we beat the Skins and the wat he acted after Tampa Bay beat the Skins today was possibly warrented after his defense let down like that but was no characteristic of good sportmanship. And that comment about Dallas fans being so ugly was one to remember, joke or not. Plus would any true class act work for Dan Snyder?

Im just looking for someone to enlighten me on what he has done to get this reputation for being such a good classy man.
You are exactly right.

He's a jackass and I can't stand him.

He is only called a "good guy" because he's more of a soft spoken type than a screamer.

To me, he comes across as a jerk often.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
"is childish"........That coming from you Sir is hilarious.....Thanks for the laugh

was about to post the same thing myself

he has so many pot calling the kettle black posts thats its to the point of ludicrous

David

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
Coach Gibbs got his reputation as a classy guy for his demeanor on the sideline. He emulated Coach Landry in that he did not lose his temper and always keeps his emotions in check.

All coaches complain about officiating in some manner or another. Whether or not Bill Parcells does in his press conferences is another subject matter all together. I think that many members on this board do not remember Parcells’ when he coached the Giants. He would rip everyone during his PC’s, including the officials. He ripped Bob Kraft during a PC when he coached the Patriots. (The infamous can’t cook if I don’t buy the groceries comment) Obviously, he has toned down quite a bit in his advancing years and his press conferences are now more humorous than intense.

I am an admitted newbie on this board so I do not know the history between all of you. Who offended who, who makes the asinine comments (there are always a few) so please do not take these comments as being offensive. Some times fans have a tendency to let their love for their team interfere with their common sense. I don’t understand how your love for the cowboys can translate to an immediate dislike for any other team, coach or fan in the NFC East. Not to single anyone out in this thread but a comment was made that “all Commanders are crybabies” (paraphrased), yet the comment was made that Gibbs comments about Cowboys fans being ugly still rankles. These kinds of reactions to an innocent comment solely designed to entertain the fans of the team he coaches are ludicrous. When I saw the clip of it on ESPN I laughed. I took that comment for what it was, Coach Gibbs building goodwill at our expense. The fact that he had to publicly apologize for that comment was ridiculous.

Look at what we have today in the NFC East, arguably one of the best if not the best conference in all of the NFL. Coaches: Parcells, Coughlin, Reid, and Gibbs are quite possibly the strongest collection of coaches to ever coach in one conference. The comments about Andy Reid’s weight or Gibbs being a crybaby are sophomoric. Let’s enjoy this conference for what we have. These next few years could be some of the most exciting this league has ever seen.

As I climb down off my soapbox, let me say one final thing. I am not attempting to restrict anyone’s right to speak their mind, or voice their opinion. I joined this board because it appeared to be the most comprehensive with the least amount of juvenile behavior. I wanted to find a place where I could have intelligent, enlightened discussions about this team that I have loved since the 70’s. I still believe that I can do that here; I simply believe that these discussions can take place without degenerating into name-calling or pointless arguments.

Having said my peace, flame away, but keep in mind the context in which this was written.

Jon

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
MTRS-Jon said:
Coach Gibbs got his reputation as a classy guy for his demeanor on the sideline. He emulated Coach Landry in that he did not lose his temper and always keeps his emotions in check.

All coaches complain about officiating in some manner or another. Whether or not Bill Parcells does in his press conferences is another subject matter all together. I think that many members on this board do not remember Parcells’ when he coached the Giants. He would rip everyone during his PC’s, including the officials. He ripped Bob Kraft during a PC when he coached the Patriots. (The infamous can’t cook if I don’t buy the groceries comment) Obviously, he has toned down quite a bit in his advancing years and his press conferences are now more humorous than intense.

I am an admitted newbie on this board so I do not know the history between all of you. Who offended who, who makes the asinine comments (there are always a few) so please do not take these comments as being offensive. Some times fans have a tendency to let their love for their team interfere with their common sense. I don’t understand how your love for the cowboys can translate to an immediate dislike for any other team, coach or fan in the NFC East. Not to single anyone out in this thread but a comment was made that “all Commanders are crybabies” (paraphrased), yet the comment was made that Gibbs comments about Cowboys fans being ugly still rankles. These kinds of reactions to an innocent comment solely designed to entertain the fans of the team he coaches are ludicrous. When I saw the clip of it on ESPN I laughed. I took that comment for what it was, Coach Gibbs building goodwill at our expense. The fact that he had to publicly apologize for that comment was ridiculous.

Look at what we have today in the NFC East, arguably one of the best if not the best conference in all of the NFL. Coaches: Parcells, Coughlin, Reid, and Gibbs are quite possibly the strongest collection of coaches to ever coach in one conference. The comments about Andy Reid’s weight or Gibbs being a crybaby are sophomoric. Let’s enjoy this conference for what we have. These next few years could be some of the most exciting this league has ever seen.

As I climb down off my soapbox, let me say one final thing. I am not attempting to restrict anyone’s right to speak their mind, or voice their opinion. I joined this board because it appeared to be the most comprehensive with the least amount of juvenile behavior. I wanted to find a place where I could have intelligent, enlightened discussions about this team that I have loved since the 70’s. I still believe that I can do that here; I simply believe that these discussions can take place without degenerating into name-calling or pointless arguments.

Having said my peace, flame away, but keep in mind the context in which this was written.

Jon

Excellent post....welcome to the board