Video: Why Amari Cooper was so unproductive

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's not going to be any better for him in Dallas.

The hope is he can take the top off a defense.

Finding him in open in zones or anticipating him breaking out of a route is just laughable with Dak throwing the ball.

Run your 9 routes and maybe some deep crosses and clear space for Cole Beasley. That will be his job.

Sydla

Reaction score
I still hate the price paid but hopeful he can be a factor here.

I would like nothing more than for him to drop 100+ yards and a couple TDs on Monday night and give Jim Schwartz and Philly something to worry about given their secondary kinda sucks right now.

waving monkey

Reaction score

Finding him in open in zones or anticipating him breaking out of a route is just laughable with Dak throwing the ball.

Run your 9 routes and maybe some deep crosses and clear space for Cole Beasley. That will be his job.
it did sound like this board talking about Dak

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Amari's value will be in pulling a safety out of the box, leaving Beasley in 1-1 or giving Zeke more holes.

Cowboys fans will never think that far ahead, and just say "durrr he doesn't have 100 yards so he sucks," but like Dez, his value is, in large part, going to be determined by what he allows other guys to do.

conner01

Reaction score

I suspect he won’t draw extra attention till we show he needs it
Until you make teams pay, they aren’t going to worry about him
If we can light up the Titans with him that could change the season going forward
But if we struggle to get the ball to him then teams will just keep doing what they have

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I envision Cooper basically being 2017 Dez without the sideline and locker room drama.

Pull an extra defender his way the majority of the game to open things up for Zeke and Dak.

Catch 2-3 balls and maybe a TD and he'll serve his purpose.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Amari's value will be in pulling a safety out of the box, leaving Beasley in 1-1 or giving Zeke more holes.

Cowboys fans will never think that far ahead, and just say "durrr he doesn't have 100 yards so he sucks," but like Dez, his value is, in large part, going to be determined by what he allows other guys to do.

Sounds good, a first rounder for a decoy.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The major impact that Cooper should have for the Cowboys is the one Dez Bryant used to have earlier in his career and that's to stretch the defense and back the defense away from the line.

While I fully expect the Cowboys to target Cooper several times in his first game with them, given Garrett/Linehan's history I think that's to set the tone for future games where they won't do it as much. The current Cowboys offensive system uses the one-nose-punch strategy where they go deep early and then hope it keeps the defense either out of the box or leaning on their heels the rest of the game. It's a general failed strategy they have used for years, and because it works every so often usually against teams with injuries in the secondary, it makes them think its a viable strategy every game.

We should see a few more deep passes with Cooper and Gallup as a result, but overall, their game plan will likely remain the same which is short passes and hand the ball off to Elliott. They are just hoping Cooper makes it 7 in the box rather than 8 or 9.

Sydla

Reaction score

Absurd frankly.

If you paid a #1 pick for a WR he has to do way more than just pull the safety out of the box and open up opportunities for others.

If Cooper is a true #1 type WR worthy of trading a #1 pick, he has to be like other #1 type WRs............ help others AND produce. That's the expectation given the price you just paid.

You are simply trying to set lower expectations in the off chance this guy doesn't produce like he should.

Rayman70

Reaction score
if we can stomach the good with the bad (dropped balls) and spectacular plays...then I guess Cooper is the answer. My question is this. Will he "shrink" when we need him most or will he show up in crucial moments? Dez tended to Shrink at times and lose interest.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Absurd frankly.

If you paid a #1 pick for a WR he has to do way more than just pull the safety out of the box and open up opportunities for others.

If Cooper is a true #1 type WR worthy of trading a #1 pick, he has to be like other #1 type WRs............ help others AND produce. That's the expectation given the price you just paid.

You are simply trying to set lower expectations in the off chance this guy doesn't produce like he should.
When did I say he shouldn't produce?

But in this offense, I don't care if they have Jerry Rice out wide, a reciever isn't going to catch 100 balls for 1,500 yards. It just is not going to happen, and that's the point I'm making. Much of his value will be in the additional yards that Zeke can get, and the third down conversions that are easier for Beasley b/c a safety can't bracket him.

Just because we don't want to think that way, doesn't mean the Cowboys staff or their opponents aren't.

Sydla

Reaction score
When did I say he shouldn't produce?

But in this offense, I don't care if they have Jerry Rice out wide, a reciever isn't going to catch 100 balls for 1,500 yards. It just is not going to happen, and that's the point I'm making. Much of his value will be in the additional yards that Zeke can get, and the third down conversions that are easier for Beasley b/c a safety can't bracket him.

Just because we don't want to think that way, doesn't mean the Cowboys staff or their opponents aren't.

Then it doesn't justify the price paid. I am not suggesting 100 balls for 1500 yards here but this kid should absolutely be a 70 catch, 1000 yard, 8-10 TD type player. That's the expectation given what you just paid for him.

And as for other teams............. I suspect they aren't going to worry much about Cooper until Dak proves he can get him the ball. I think people have long mis-identified what teams think of our passing game - largely blaming the lack of respect for the WRs. I think it's more than that. I think some don't think Dak can beat them even with better WRs.

And until you see actual production out of Cooper, I am guessing the better defensive teams will continue to play the same way as we have seen teams play us more recently.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Then it doesn't justify the price paid. I am not suggesting 100 balls for 1500 yards here but this kid should absolutely be a 70 catch, 1000 yard, 8-10 TD type player. That's the expectation given what you just paid for him.

And as for other teams............. I suspect they aren't going to worry much about Cooper until Dak proves he can get him the ball. I think people have long mis-identified what teams think of our passing game - largely blaming the lack of respect for the WRs. I think it's more than that. I think some don't think Dak can beat them even with better WRs.

And until you see actual production out of Cooper, I am guessing the better defensive teams will continue to play the same way as we have seen teams play us more recently.
Ok, that's the same expectation I would have.

But that's still not where his greatest value is. He can change the complexion of the offense.