Video: Why Amari Cooper was so unproductive

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
if we can stomach the good with the bad (dropped balls) and spectacular plays...then I guess Cooper is the answer. My question is this. Will he "shrink" when we need him most or will he show up in crucial moments? Dez tended to Shrink at times and lose interest.

Imo the issue won't be with cooper in those situations, it will be with playcalling and Dak getting him the ball.

Imo Dak hesitates to pull the more effective trigger when the game is on the line just like against Washington when guys were open, he'd see it, but just dump it off or cause a turnover.

Dak has no confidence what's so ever when the game is on the line. And even if he does have a game winning drive it's when playing it careful goes his way on rare occasions.

I definitely wouldnt put this on cooper. It wasnt on cooper when carr didnt see him.

Praxit

Reaction score
Amari's value will be in pulling a safety out of the box, leaving Beasley in 1-1 or giving Zeke more holes.

Cowboys fans will never think that far ahead, and just say "durrr he doesn't have 100 yards so he sucks," but like Dez, his value is, in large part, going to be determined by what he allows other guys to do.
.>Bingo..! right there mate, you said it. He will open the game for Zeke & Bease.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok, that's the same expectation I would have.

But that's still not where his greatest value is. He can change the complexion of the offense.

Not really if he's not producing himself.

In other words, let's say he's the same WR that he was in 2017, when he had down production, etc. If that's the kind of WR he's going to be, teams won't worry about him nearly as much as if he were a real threat.

I think people are misguided in thinking that as soon as he puts on a Cowboys uniform and stands wide, he transforms the offense immediately. I think defenses, especially the better ones, will make him prove it first.

Or more specifically, if he catches 3 balls for 40 yards on Monday night, I doubt the Eagles will be worrying about him all that much. But if he drops a couple of TDs or makes a couple of big plays in the passing game, that's now something the Eagles will have to address.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

In other words, let's say he's the same WR that he was in 2017, when he had down production, etc. If that's the kind of WR he's going to be, teams won't worry about him nearly as much as if he were a real threat.

I think people are misguided in thinking that as soon as he puts on a Cowboys uniform and stands wide, he transforms the offense immediately. I think defenses, especially the better ones, will make him prove it first.
If he's not producing, it can be the product of a safety over the top, and the Cowboys running the ball more against better matchups. That's the point I'm making. On the flip side, there will be games where Zeke isn't productive, but that might be because defenses are committing extra defenders to the run and opening up things for Cooper. That doesn't make Zeke less valuable.

Cooper will have to prove it, for sure, but he can do that, effectively, in one half. Two balls over the top backs up safeties over the course of a game. The fact that we haven't been able to do that speaks to just how pitiful this passing game has been.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

Or more specifically, if he catches 3 balls for 40 yards on Monday night, I doubt the Eagles will be worrying about him all that much. But if he drops a couple of TDs or makes a couple of big plays in the passing game, that's now something the Eagles will have to address.

I find it hard to believe he won't receive the same double and triple coverage he did in Oakland just 2 weeks ago!. And that's with a bad QB in carr.

Imo amari doesnt have to prove anything to the defense. Teams will play him no different than they did two weeks ago.

You guys are talking like two weeks ago was 10 years ago and that we just signed this washed up hasbeen that defenses dont respect anymore!

Nah, doesnt work like that champ.

Sydla

Reaction score
If he's not producing, it can be the product of a safety over the top, and the Cowboys running the ball more against better matchups. That's the point I'm making. On the flip side, there will be games where Zeke isn't productive, but that might be because defenses are committing extra defenders to the run and opening up things for Cooper. That doesn't make Zeke less valuable.

Cooper will have to prove it, for sure, but he can do that, effectively, in one half. Two balls over the top backs up safeties over the course of a game. The fact that we haven't been able to do that speaks to just how pitiful this passing game has been.

If you just want someone to run deep a few times, then you didn't need to use a #1 pick on a trade for a WR. Plus, this gets back to the point of whether Dak would even throw that ball. Again I think teams play us the way they do because of Dak as much as who we have at WR.

He has to be productive for this to work. No, running a few deep routes isn't going to change much in this offense if Cooper himself isn't making big plays in the passing game and being that #1ish type WR. Again better defenses will just continue to play us as they have until Cooper and Dak actually makes plays in the passing game.

You are putting way too much unfounded value in this concept that just because he lines up he changes the way teams play this offense. He's not that guy............ yet.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Sure would be nice if fans would see how this plays out before they start with all the negative Nancy stuff.
Be a fan, as you call yourself one, you may be surprised.
Sooo, what your saying is we should all really, really learn to clap, even IF we lose? Got it...

Sydla

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe he won't receive the same double and triple coverage he did in Oakland just 2 weeks ago!. And that's with a bad QB in carr.

Imo amari doesnt have to prove anything to the defense. Teams will play him no different than they did two weeks ago.

You guys are talking like two weeks ago was 10 years ago and that we just signed this washed up hasbeen that defenses dont respect anymore!

Nah, doesnt work like that champ.

And no running game in Oakland either. I think it's foolish to make a comparison to what's been happening in Oakland and what we do here.

Until Cooper and Dak prove to be a realistic tandem, I suspect the better defenses are going to continue to focus on Elliott until we start exploiting coverages with Cooper and Dak.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Our entire identity is based on a run first power based offense fueled by the offensive line that gets man handled at the point of attack and is unwilling to go for a 4th and 1 with the game on the line. That should tell you everything you need to know about where this team is headed.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If you just want someone to run deep a few times, then you didn't need to use a #1 pick on a trade for a WR. Plus, this gets back to the point of whether Dak would even throw that ball. Again I think teams play us the way they do because of Dak as much as who we have at WR.

He has to be productive for this to work. No, running a few deep routes isn't going to change much in this offense if Cooper himself isn't making big plays in the passing game and being that #1ish type WR. Again better defenses will just continue to play us as they have until Cooper and Dak actually makes plays in the passing game.

You are putting way too much unfounded value in this concept that just because he lines up he changes the way teams play this offense. He's not that guy............ yet.
I didn't say running deep, I meant completing passes deep. Two balls in a game absolutely changes the way defenses play.

And deep threats absolutely get traded for first rounders. Brandin Cooks just got traded for that, Watkins was traded for a 2nd and a starting CB. Cooper is a more complete receiver than either of those guys.

I'm not saying he has value just because he lines up yet. I'm aware of the risk in assuming Dak is going to get him the ball...all I'm talking about is his potential. But my original point is that his value is determined by more than just his numbers, I'm not saying he's there right away.

morasp

Reaction score
I think that's why Cooper is better than a first round pick he's proven he can do it. I doubt defenses are rolling coverage to Calvin Ridley or DJ Moore, that honor belongs to Julio Jones and Funchess. It's not rocket science, you can't double cover Beasley and Cooper and crash down on Zeke. Every pass should be play action. Throw in the read option and the game becomes more of a chess game between our offense and the defense.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The major impact that Cooper should have for the Cowboys is the one Dez Bryant used to have earlier in his career and that's to stretch the defense and back the defense away from the line.

While I fully expect the Cowboys to target Cooper several times in his first game with them, given Garrett/Linehan's history I think that's to set the tone for future games where they won't do it as much. The current Cowboys offensive system uses the one-nose-punch strategy where they go deep early and then hope it keeps the defense either out of the box or leaning on their heels the rest of the game. It's a general failed strategy they have used for years, and because it works every so often usually against teams with injuries in the secondary, it makes them think its a viable strategy every game.

We should see a few more deep passes with Cooper and Gallup as a result, but overall, their game plan will likely remain the same which is short passes and hand the ball off to Elliott. They are just hoping Cooper makes it 7 in the box rather than 8 or 9.

Yep.

Garrett loves his decoy players.

That's all Amari will be here with the occasional big play.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
And no running game in Oakland either. I think it's foolish to make a comparison to what's been happening in Oakland and what we do here.

Until Cooper and Dak prove to be a realistic tandem, I suspect the better defenses are going to continue to focus on Elliott until we start exploiting coverages with Cooper and Dak.

You act like cooper is dez lol. Now that's a guy worth leaving 1v1!

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Amari's value will be in pulling a safety out of the box, leaving Beasley in 1-1 or giving Zeke more holes.
That's fine for a 2nd round pick. Not good enough for a first. I don't blame him for that, I blame our incompetent management

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
With all this high expectation some people might be heading for a big disappointment.
Our issue is not just one wide receiver away from being great
the quarterback is the weakest link.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
With all this high expectation some people might be heading for a big disappointment.
Our issue is not just one wide receiver away from being great
the quarterback is the weakest link.

Actually the weakest link is Jerry, followed by Garrett. Dak gets a pass for now because these idiots cant find the kid good coaching.

Who knows what he can really accomplish with just that.

Sydla

Reaction score
You act like cooper is dez lol. Now that's a guy worth leaving 1v1!

No, I just look at this from a realistic perspective and not with homer goggles on.

The focus of other defenses will continue to be stopping Elliott until Dak and Cooper can prove that they will make defenses pay.