Why are big contracts so hard to negotiate 2024?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
After pondering for months, like the rest of us, I still don’t understand why they don’t try to get out ahead of these contracts (Lamb, Prescott, Parsons) and get them signed. To us laymen, it doesn’t make sense. The question begs, “how could they be so ignorant?”. I mean they did with other players like Diggs and some others so why not with these guys? It’s an interesting question and one in which I have no answer. The easy answer you see here daily is, “they’re a bunch of idiots, etc.” But could it be more than that? The GB GM stated how hard these big contracts are and how they take time. Tua may sit out. Aiyuk still unsigned and others. Cowboys aren’t the only team having big contract settlement issues.

It’s going to take someone way over my pay grade who knows the inside and out of NFL contracts 2024 and the CBA. Is there anyone here?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After pondering for months, like the rest of us, I still don’t understand why they don’t try to get out ahead of these contracts (Lamb, Prescott, Parsons) and get them signed. To us laymen, it doesn’t make sense. The question begs, “how could they be so ignorant?”. I mean they did with other players like Diggs and some others so why not with these guys? It’s an interesting question and one in which I have no answer. The easy answer you see here daily is, “they’re a bunch of idiots, etc.” But could it be more than that? The GB GM stated how hard these big contracts are and how they take time. Tua may sit out. Aiyuk still unsigned and others. Cowboys aren’t the only team having big contract settlement issues.

It’s going to take someone way over my pay grade who knows the inside and out of NFL contracts 2024 and the CBA. Is there anyone here?
It's not always because of the team or even the player.

In some cases player agents know that another similar quality player's contract is coming up and they want to wait to see what that player gets before setting an amount they want for the player they represent.

In other cases, new media deals may be coming up for renewal with the NFL which will increase the salary cap so they want to wait until those deals are completed and future salary cap predictions come out based on it before signing a contract.

In other times, it's simply because the player wants X years and the team wants Y years.

There are also other factors that come into play for teams such as existing dead money, other upcoming big contracts that they deal with, etc. and for players there are things like wanting to wait based on current coaching staff extensions or upcoming coaching changes, other players receiving extensions that may impact the team's performance, etc.

It is never as simple as fans think it is though a lot of people love to simplify the process down to "team is being cheap" or "player is being greedy".

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not always because of the team or even the player.

In some cases player agents know that another similar quality player's contract is coming up and they want to wait to see what that player gets before setting an amount they want for the player they represent.

In other cases, new media deals may be coming up for renewal with the NFL which will increase the salary cap so they want to wait until those deals are completed and future salary cap predictions come out based on it before signing a contract.

In other times, it's simply because the player wants X years and the team wants Y years.

There are also other factors that come into play for teams such as existing dead money, other upcoming big contracts that they deal with, etc. and for players there are things like wanting to wait based on current coaching staff extensions or upcoming coaching changes, other players receiving extensions that may impact the team's performance, etc.

It is never as simple as fans think it is though a lot of people love to simplify the process down to "team is being cheap" or "player is being greedy".
That kinda sums it up succinctly as possible. The bottom line is that there are so many variables, many of which we don’t even know about, in this year of 2024 and NFL contracts at the QB level.

JBS

Reaction score
It makes perfect sense to anyone that has any sense of business / negotiation skills.

Blitzen

Reaction score
They could have done any of these deals before free agency began in March. Especially Dak. All that would have needed to happen is huge guaranteed money, 4 years, perhaps more dead cap years, and high AAV numbers.

There is a tiny amount of truth on waiting for other guys to sign, but who cares. The difference in money of what I stated before is likely only 1-2 million-and it’s no guarantee you get the extra 1-2 million.

They say they hold off because deadlines bring people to the table. They have paid huge record setting money on deadline deals prior to this so the strategy has been proven absurd. Any changes in future cap implications can usually be navigated with a contract restructure. It’s so bizarre to wait on the deals.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He’s dealing with a paternity suit. Yeah. He’s a genius.
Are you worth $13 billion?

IMG-0493.webp

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That kinda sums it up succinctly as possible. The bottom line is that there are so many variables, many of which we don’t even know about, in this year of 2024 and NFL contracts at the QB level.
I wouldn’t say we don’t know anything about it. Many of these variables he mentioned we have discussed or the media and journalist have presented.

You asked a great question . And Reality provided a solid response . Not all fans are truly interested in all the details. They just want action.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn’t say we don’t know anything about it. Many of these variables he mentioned we have discussed or the media and journalist have presented.

You asked a great question . And Reality provided a solid response . Not all fans are truly interested in all the details. They just want action.
Yes, many. And when you combine them all together it’s like:

IMG-0518.gif

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They aren't. The problem is the Jones clan thinks they are the smartest people in the room.

As the Big Dog said earlier, contracts in 2024 aren’t hard to negotiate for teams that are prepared.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, tell that to the Packers, Dolphins, Saints, 49’ers, etc.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...e-lamb-amari-cooper-among-big-names-to-watch/
Yeah but there’s also the chiefs who signed super talented DT Chris Jones to a huge contract despite having the highest paid QB in the NFL on the payroll. Or the Vikings who signed their top WR weeks ago setting the market ahead of the Cowboys who now must pay Cedee Lamb at least as much as John Jefferson. Or the hated eagles signing Saquon Barkley and edge rusher Bryce Huff to big deals despite having a huge QB contract with Hurts.

My point is it’s not as hard if you plan on how and when to do it. Waiting almost always makes it harder and worse - cost more.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah but there’s also the chiefs who signed super talented DT Chris Jones to a huge contract despite having the highest paid QB in the NFL on the payroll. Or the Vikings who signed their top WR weeks ago setting the market ahead of the Cowboys who now must pay Cedee Lamb at least as much as John Jefferson. Or the hated eagles signing Saquon Barkley and edge rusher Bryce Huff to big deals despite having a huge QB contract with Hurts.

My point is it’s not as hard if you plan on how and when to do it. Waiting almost always makes it harder and worse - cost more.
Well, if you think it’s not difficult, then please become Cee Dee’s agent.