Why are we even talking about the passing game?

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
With the field conditions and the wind and cold it makes no difference how many times Big Ben has been sacked or who can stop who's pass rush. This game is going to be one in the trenches.

It basically comes down to OL vs DL on both sides of the ball. It's going to be interesting, it's the type of game old school football fans want to see. It's also a character game. Your not going to see much from your WR's and QB but you want to know how much guts and how tuff your defense and OL is. Just tune in.

Boysboy

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2456119 said:
With the field conditions and the wind and cold it makes no difference how many times Big Ben has been sacked or who can stop who's pass rush. This game is going to be one in the trenches.

It basically comes down to OL vs DL on both sides of the ball. It's going to be interesting, it's the type of game old school football fans want to see. It's also a character game. Your not going to see much from your WR's and QB but you want to know how much guts and how tuff your defense and OL is. Just tune in.

Ask the Jacksonville Jaguars last year-both times, once in Dec and then in Jan again, they lit them up in the passing game.

OK-the Steelers had some key injuries on defense(their best pass rusher and Troy P being out), but nonetheless the field conditions for both games at Heintz were HORRIBLE.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Not if we have the right shoes for the WRs and TEs. Then it becomes a real problem for them to react to what we do.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Boysboy;2456125 said:
Ask the Jacksonville Jaguars last year-both times, once in Dec and then in Jan again, they lit them up in the passing game.

OK-the Steelers had some key injuries on defense(their best pass rusher and Troy P being out), but nonetheless the field conditions for both games at Heintz were HORRIBLE.

Thats why I dont care for blanket statements/comments.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Hostile;2456126 said:
Not if we have the right shoes for the WRs and TEs. Then it becomes a real problem for them to react to what we do.

I do agree that the running game is most critical in this game, but you're right, if we can get the passing game going it is what we Louisiana raised folks call "lagniappe". Getting the yards that we're not supposed to get because of the elements will give us the W.

Kilyin

Reaction score

I think you're a bit deluded. We will beat the Steelers through the air and with high pressure defense.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think our OL, TEs, and RBs blocking for run and esp pass are going to be the biggest keys in the game. We have to be able to throw the ball in our offense.

SDogo

Reaction score
Kilyin;2456148 said:
I think you're a bit deluded. We will beat the Steelers through the air and with high pressure defense.

I would be willing to bet your not going to see even 350 yards passing for both teams combined in this game

Bizwah

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how this team responds to a tough, hard-nosed team. I think we'd beat the Steelers here....I think we'd beat them on a neutral field. But I really want to see how we respond to 65,000 terrible towels, egg-throwing at the bus, a sloppy field, and a team that slugs it out in the trenches.

If we somehow can overcome all of those things, then I will again consider us a contender.

I also wouldn't automatically adjust our gameplan to be run heavy. I would use a couple of extra blockers...chip with the TE.....

I would start the game with TO, RW, Bennett, Witten, and Barber. I would use short passes as runs.....I think we have to move the ball early. The longer it takes us to move the ball, the harder it will be all game.

Defensively, I would load up to stop the run and bring the blitz. My big worry is the TE....we have to shore up covering the TE, or Pitt will move the ball on us all day long.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score

I'm pretty "old school" but I hate mud & ice games. I hate watching a team like the Steelers put up 6 points over 60 minutes. I'll take the new school high scoring west coast style game any day. That's why the league has progressed toward benefiting the offense over defense. People want to see action.

Kilyin

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2456171 said:
I would be willing to bet your not going to see even 350 yards passing for both teams combined in this game

I'll take that bet. Romo will pass for 200 minimum. Big Bend Over should be good for 100.

SDogo

Reaction score
Kilyin;2456192 said:
I'll take that bet. Romo will pass for 200 minimum. Big Bend Over should be good for 100.

I figure Romo around 200 and Big Ben around 150

I really don't see the ball being put in the air a lot. The wind up there this time of year can be horrible and I have heard some forecasts calling for 25-30mph winds. having lived right off Lake Erie I know first hand how bad it can get.

Both TE's may be the busiest players on the field outside of the RB's.

Tractor1

Reaction score

All games are won and lost in the trenches. I expect the Cowboys to throw early and often before the field conditions get too bad. Similar game plan to the '92 SF.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
you're overrating the bad weather. we may get some light snow or rain. it's not gonna be a freaking blizzard.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The vast majority of NFL games are won by the team that passes the ball more effectively, so it's only natural to talk about the part of the game that almost always decides who wins.