Why aren't the Cowboys looking at the bigger DT's?

ShortRound

Reaction score
I feel transported back in time. We've been asking this question for years.
uRgCGpM.gif

plasticman

Reaction score
These players are not easy to find. They are quite rare with not even enough to go around.

Over the past three seasons, there are 33 defensive tackles weighing 300 or more pounds that started 32 or more games over that period.

20 were listed at 310 LBS or more.

9 were listed at 320 LBS or more.

Draft status:

ten 1st round
five 2nd round
eight 3rd round
three 4th round
four 5th round
two 6th round
one 7th round pick

7 of the top 9 in sacks were 1st round draft picks.

6 of the top 8 in solo tackles were 1st round draft picks.

9 of the top 13 in QB hits were 1st round picks.

If the Cowboys want to get a dominant DT, a tradition for them in earlier years, then they must obtain the draft capital. The Cowboys got Randy White with the 2nd overall pick when they traded Craig Morton to the Giants.

John Dutton was a #5 overall. Russel Maryland was #1 overall. Tony Casilles was #2 overall.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Traitor Dan Quinn got rid of our young big NTs in Bohanna and Ridgeway. Ironic since Dan Quinn left to the Commanders and now has Ridgeway. Wish he would follow suit and cut Ridgeway so we could pick him up the way he did to us Cowboys. I bet he won't. That traitor also forced Mazi to lose almost 50 pounds and become useless playing inside at NT. I bet traitor Quinn won't make Daron Payne, Jonathan Allen and John Ridgeway lose weight in Washington the way he made Mazi lose so much weight in Dallas. Dan Quinn is a bonafied traitor who hurt the Cowboys.

jrumann59

Reaction score
These players are not easy to find. They are quite rare with not even enough to go around.

Over the past three seasons, there are 33 defensive tackles weighing 300 or more pounds that started 32 or more games over that period.

20 were listed at 310 LBS or more.

9 were listed at 320 LBS or more.

Draft status:

ten 1st round
five 2nd round
eight 3rd round
three 4th round
four 5th round
two 6th round
one 7th round pick

7 of the top 9 in sacks were 1st round draft picks.

6 of the top 8 in solo tackles were 1st round draft picks.

9 of the top 13 in QB hits were 1st round picks.

If the Cowboys want to get a dominant DT, a tradition for them in earlier years, then they must obtain the draft capital. The Cowboys got Randy White with the 2nd overall pick when they traded Craig Morton to the Giants.

John Dutton was a #5 overall. Russel Maryland was #1 overall. Tony Casilles was #2 overall.
weights mean nothing without context. Yeah those numbers seem to show "run stuffers" the issue is most of your high pick DTs play 3T they are considered the 3rd pash rushing DL in a 4-3 and can play the run. Most teams are not drafting 2 down 320+ 1T DTs early in the draft.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Player evaluation and the players ability to achieve is the problem. What is it about this team that they either don't want better talent, or depends too much on DE's and LB's?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys are apparently hoping that their DL problems will be resolved by standing pat with their current DTs. If that's not the case, they'd be making changes to their current defensive lineup at DL. They're hoping Mazi succeeds in making the necessary adjustments that are reeded. If indications are such that he doesn't show evidence of improvement, perhaps a DT acquisition would be attempted at a later date.

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The Cowboys are apparently hoping that their DL problems will be resolved by standing pat with their current DTs. If that's not the case, they'd be making changes to their current defensive lineup at DL. They're hoping Mazi succeeds in making the necessary adjustments that are reeded. If indications are such that he doesn't show evidence of improvement, perhaps a DT acquisition would be attempted at a later date.
Same thing i'm thinking, they're so hopeful that everything will work itself out

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean I get to to an extent if they liked Mazi last year enough to be a first rounder then yeah they should still like him now.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I mean I get to to an extent if they liked Mazi last year enough to be a first rounder then yeah they should still like him now.
That's surely on the FO's mind, from all indications, but that liking could easily change dramatically if his performance continues to stall. I'm sure he'll be watched closely in TC and preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if the team makes a DT acquisition after the final cuts, if his failings continue.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Here’s what I think is happening, at least this year. Remember Zimmer was a decent and functional secondary coach and burgeoning DC. After Parcells taught him his 3-4 (which like Belichick’s is amorphic and versatile even within a 4-3), that’s when Zimmer took off and became and upper tier DC and then a HC. Watch those Viking D-line formations and you will see that 3-4 throughout their games.

What position did Parcells “collect”? LBs.
Dallas has several of varying abilities.
How about OLB athletes who play the run well and rush well? D-Law and Micah (acting as Spencer and Ware).
Right now Dallas has the NT players and the 3-4 DEs including Osa, Fehoko, Golston, or even Kneeland but also Mazi.

For a standard 4-3, Dallas seems really underwhelming and anemic. But for a 3-4, the current roster could work.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's surely on the FO's mind, from all indications, but that liking could easily change dramatically if his performance continues to stall. I'm sure he'll be watched closely in TC and preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if the team makes a DT acquisition after the final cuts, if his failings continue.
I agree on all accounts. They will probably bring in someone cheap at some point. And yeah they could sour on Mazi quick but I think it would be after this season I’m not entirely sure if this team wants to even win this year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I agree on all accounts. They will probably bring in someone cheap at some point. And yeah they could sour on Mazi quick but I think it would be after this season I’m not entirely sure if this team wants to even win this year.
With each passing day, I'm getting increasingly convinced (as if I'm not already) that winning isn't really a pressing factor with Jerry & Son. Well, I mean, it's already been 28 years since we won a Super Bowl. If that's not enough to cause serious doubts about this team's dedication to that end, who knows exactly what it might take! I see today's version of the Cowboys as a lost cause as a contender. Please, say it ain't so.

Last edited: