Why can’t they get rid of the salary cap?

conner01

Reaction score
What you don’t like the party. The league wanted parity that’s what they got. No more buying Super Bowls
Parity is good for the game and the cap creates more parity
But the biggest factor is really about stopping some owners from blowing up the profits
The cap defines the revenue split and guarantees profits
No cap hurts small teams and would escalate salaries and cut profits

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Parity is good for the game and the cap creates more parity
But the biggest factor is really about stopping some owners from blowing up the profits
The cap defines the revenue split and guarantees profits
No cap hurts small teams and would escalate salaries and cut profits
Thank you for breaking down what I actually said . I thought it was common knowledge my cowboy brother.It’s all about competition to go further. But the bottom line was. We can’t buy the Super Bowl. Make no mistake about that

GenoT

Reaction score
Maybe just add a penalty tax for those teams willing to exceed the cap.
That would negate the whole reason for the cap.

Deep-pocketed, big-market owners could then do what they did before the cap...buy a championship by out-spending other teams.

Guys like Jerry Jones would simply pay the “penalty tax” and then chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

Small-market KC just won the SB and didn’t have to overspend to do so. How’d they do it...? By being “football smarter” than people like Jerry Jones.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I've wondered about a "position" cap which in turn if you're going to overpay a starter at a position it would ultimately reduce the quality of backups or even amount of backups at a particular position......it would force teams to do more than just write checks, it would force them to manage each position better not just one cap #.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I would be in favor of allowing teams to exceed the cap by a small, set % (say 15% for the sake of discussion) to keep "home grown" players.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've wondered about a "position" cap which in turn if you're going to overpay a starter at a position it would ultimately reduce the quality of backups or even amount of backups at a particular position......it would force teams to do more than just write checks, it would force them to manage each position better not just one cap #.
All that babysitting. I get it opens too many doors

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
I doubt the owners would ever completely do away with the salary cap. Unless you (or your family) has owned a franchise for 40 years or more, you have to be a billionaire to become an owner in this league. You don't become a billionaire by being an idiot in business. The largest expense for virtually every business is compensation...and that expense is now capped (protecting them from themselves).

I have long been a proponent of one of two options;

1) Having a soft cap with a luxury tax, similar to the NBA. If an owner decides to say screw it, its only money...they can.
2) Having one (preferably two) exemptions. This would probably require adjusting the cap for the other players, but it allows a team to actually build around a player or two. The exemption would need to be for the career of the player (with that team) and would only apply to players who have been on your roster for three or more seasons (to stop teams from gaming the system).

Just my thoughts

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why cant they get rid of the cap. Have a hard cap on teams trying to buy a Super Bowl but no cap on players you drafted or signed as UDFA. This way we keep players we want without having the animosity we have like Zeke last year and now Dak and coop this year. You can keep teams altogether and not be punished for drating well and coaching players up. Honestly we should start a union for fans so we have a voice in all this. After all we are the driving force for all of this, we should have a voice at the table or use what would hurt most, boycott games and dont show up or watch.
well, that was the discussion a couple of decades ago. they wanted to create a system that would be fair to small market teams, because teams like NY, Dallas, SF with money dominated the market, kept a lot of talent deep on the teams. so they created the current salary cap structure. that was to avoid teams like dallas and SF buying superbowls and providing opportunity for teams like NO, GB, etc. to play on equal fields....I think the salary cap is fine. it may need a little tweaking given the QB salaries are getting out of control. it puts great emphasis on the draft specially hitting on your first rounders. the recent trend has been teams winning with top notch players on their first contract. building a team through FA doesn't work since the talent gap on the teams becomes too hard to over come. I am OK with the current salary cap structure. I think it evens the field for all the teams. again some small tweaking not a lot.

and you have a voice...like you said. don't watch. but there needs to be a large number of those voices and given continued growing of NFL popularity, says most don't agree with you...…but just like Jones who got forced to get rid of garrett, given the public forces that pushed him into a corner (he wanted to keep garrett as he loved being in the coaches room involved)…..if things get really bad in the NFL, they will change.

I will continue to watch.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The cap on s best for the owners why wouldn't they want a cap? It limits how much a player can make and how much you can spend on your roster. It's best for the fans as well. However having a cap sucks for the players.
"fans" of a large market team.

Javier

Reaction score
You want the same 4-5 teams winning the SB year after year like every soccer league in the world?

No

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Why cant they get rid of the cap. Have a hard cap on teams trying to buy a Super Bowl but no cap on players you drafted or signed as UDFA. This way we keep players we want without having the animosity we have like Zeke last year and now Dak and coop this year. You can keep teams altogether and not be punished for drating well and coaching players up. Honestly we should start a union for fans so we have a voice in all this. After all we are the driving force for all of this, we should have a voice at the table or use what would hurt most, boycott games and dont show up or watch.
Because the owners don't want to appear cheap as many would in an uncapped league.

It isn't happening.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
They should. Owners will not allow it. Will use excuses like helping small market teams, more parity, allow more competition, blah blah blah ... sounds good on the face of it, but a lot of stink sits behind it.

:cool:

kskboys

Reaction score
The cap on s best for the owners why wouldn't they want a cap? It limits how much a player can make and how much you can spend on your roster. It's best for the fans as well. However having a cap sucks for the players.
It really doesn't. W/ the cap comes a lower limit also. So, while a few players may suffer a bit from the cap, many players benefit from it.