Why Children's Cartoons Today are Terrible versus the Past

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not trade the Looney Tunes shows from my childhood for anything. Same goes for 80's shows like Transformers and Thundercats that entertained me in my 20's.

In terms of intelligent cartoons, I have always been envious of kids from the 90's and the turn of the century who were blessed with the X-Men and Justice League series. And the present-day Young Justice series (which was revived) is some of the best television entertainment, live or animated, period.

Excellent lead-ins:

One thing shows like The Smurfs and SpongeBob SquarePants do have in common. They DO insult the intelligence of all sentient life, whether they be child or adult. Only people who know me understand just how much I loathe stuff like that.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3tyfvi.jpg

3tyghg.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would not trade the Looney Tunes shows from my childhood for anything. Same goes for 80's shows like Transformers and Thundercats that entertained me in my 20's.

In terms of intelligent cartoons, I have always been envious of kids from the 90's and the turn of the century who were blessed with the X-Men and Justice League series. And the present-day Young Justice series (which was revived) is some of the best television entertainment, live or animated, period.

Excellent lead-ins:

One thing shows like The Smurfs and SpongeBob SquarePants do have in common. They DO insult the intelligence of all sentient life, whether they be child or adult. Only people who know me understand just how much I loathe stuff like that.

Last time I was at Hooters, one of the girls made a joke I didn't understand. I looked at her accordingly o_O and she said, "You know, from SpongeBob!"

"Do you really think I've ever watched SpongeBob???"

"..............................Oh........I guess not.:oops:"

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last time I was at Hooters, one of the girls made a joke I didn't understand. I looked at her accordingly o_O and she said, "You know, from SpongeBob!"

"Do you really think I've ever watched SpongeBob???"

"..............................Oh........I guess not.:oops:"
I understand your reaction and hope it made her think. Unfortunately, I have watched SpongeBob Squarepants. My granddaughter used to watch it a couple of years ago (she is eleven now and has seemingly outgrown it). I would sit with her from time-to-time. hoping to discover what was the show's fascination.

I cannot say how often I would sit for a few minutes and finally mutter to myself, "What the HELL is this???"

One of my personal sayings is 'dog stupid'. I would describe SpongeBob as dog stupid but I prefer not insulting dogs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We were simple and it worked...:) Don't have to be advanced to enjoy yourself. Call it what you want but, this is way better. it had adult humor that the kids never noticed.
Still the funniest ones ever made. I used to work with a guy who's father was friends with Chuck Jones and he got him some original line drawings for him when he was young. They are his most prized possession.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was much better before Scrappy came along, IMO"
I agree even though I am not a Scooby Doo fan. My wife is a BIG Scooby Doo fan. She likes torturing me watching any version of the show she settles upon but even she tends to deviate from the Scrappy version. Do not ask me why. She never offers a reason whenever I ask her. :rolleyes::)