Why Children's Cartoons Today are Terrible versus the Past

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree even though I am not a Scooby Doo fan. My wife is a BIG Scooby Doo fan. She likes torturing me watching any version of the show she settles upon but even she tends to deviate from the Scrappy version. Do not ask me why. She never offers a reason whenever I ask her. :rolleyes::)
I think Scrappy was brought in to appeal to much younger kids, but they failed to consider that they'd be alienating much of their original viewers by introducing such a corny and incongruous character.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I understand your reaction and hope it made her think. Unfortunately, I have watched SpongeBob Squarepants. My granddaughter used to watch it a couple of years ago (she is eleven now and has seemingly outgrown it). I would sit with her from time-to-time. hoping to discover what was the show's fascination.

I cannot say how often I would sit for a few minutes and finally mutter to myself, "What the HELL is this???"

One of my personal sayings is 'dog stupid'. I would describe SpongeBob as dog stupid but I prefer not insulting dogs.
There are times when I slightly envy people with kids, because of some of the movies they get to watch with them. Some of them are very imaginative and entertaining. But I'm so thankful I don't have to watch or even hear the current kid's TV shows. Every once in a rare while I see part of a show at my brother's house or something, and I'm absolutely appalled at how incredibly bad they are. The kids only even seem to be watching because of the bright colors and motion. They don't even seem to listen and I hope that's the case, because they're as you stated... insulting.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Scrappy was brought in to appeal to much younger kids, but they failed to consider that they'd be alienating much of their original viewers by introducing such a corny and incongruous character.
It never happened but I always hoped one single antagonist in any episode would dropkick him into outer space. Scrappy is a pint-sized, annoying little character.

timb2

Reaction score
Remember Scooby Dum???

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I know this thread has turned into an ode to the past, but I just wanna respond to the topic and say that I'm not so sure if today's cartoons are terrible. I started recently watching some new stuff (movies and shows) because I have a baby (she's only 16 months so we don't get through more than a few minutes before she gets bored). That being said, some of the jokes are really funny and the stories are engaging. I don't think I would've even understood some of the jokes when I was young. Not that they're dirty or anything, but they're just clever and you need to have a little intellect to appreciate them. Anyway, that's my rant.