Why Collins all of a sudden long term deal?

Wood

Reaction score
Only explanation I can give is Dallas sees Collins as ascending player who got back on track after Colombo came back as OL coach. He is still inconsistent in pass protection so that needs to clean up. Most had Collins in the 11-15 range for RT. Getting highest guaranteed money for being outside of top 10 is a bit odd.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Excuse me if I don’t take your word for it and instead believe in Will McClay and the scouting department.

Generally I'm on the same page as you in regards to fan evaluations being a little... offbase, partly due to the lack of info we fans have compared to people paid to study film and talk to players all week.

But this signing and its price tag are surprising. I can understand a certain disparity in rating between the populace and the front office but my understanding is that Collins just received a historic contract. Is he that good? I'm not so sure.

Speaking of which do we have any real info on the contract details? I've only seen some tweets citing record guaranteed money but no hard details.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was unnecessary. At least make the guy prove he's top 5 at his position before gauranteeing him 35 million.

There is merit to your argument.

A certain amount of this (from the Cowboys perspective) is "How high of a ceiling does this player have?"

If he becomes a top 5 (or even top 10) guy this season, then he's going to be paid by someone else like a #1 guy in free agency. That's how this works. The Bills have the highest paid center in the game now but he was arguably maybe top-10 at best for KC last year. Some desperate team will always bend over for good (but not great) talent.

You either try to sign these guys early before they peak or you'll have to pay beyond their value after they peak.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I know you’re the champion homer here…all things sunshine all day everyday day.

Just curious…Do you ever pause your homerism to give any sort of critical analysis to your favorite team? Or is everybody just good or great?
I’m pretty happy with just about all of the players. Not a big fan of Garrett and I hate negative posters. I’d rather be a homer than a hater.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We've had an incredible run of success the last 24 years, hater.
You have the best deadpan humor on this board. You literally have me cracking up because some fans don't know what to make of you. :lmao:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It just kind of came out nowhere.

But its a solid deal. Below market value

The price is good, the context is not. We're piling money on the oline, when we have high oline draft picks who can take over. Does McGovern or Williams ride the pine next year?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I’m surprised by it because Collins has been only solid, not anywhere approaching top shelf. But I guess he is young, has improved each of the past couple seasons and starting level OLinemen don’t grow on trees. Plus it will be easy for the Cowboys to get out of if they get buyer’s remorse in a few seasons.

Whatever, it’s not my money.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I’m pretty happy with just about all of the players. Not a big fan of Garrett and I hate negative posters. I’d rather be a homer than a hater.

But there is a lot of gray area in between a homer and a hater… And anytime someone says anything the least bit critical, you think of them as a hater.

Neither extreme is good… Haven’t you ever heard the term the truth lies in the middle?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
My gut is that Tyron is about to retire this year or next. They may draft his replacement for cheap.

This signing makes me wonder. It would suck, though. 2020 and 2021 are way below market for Tyron.

And he looked healthier in 2018 than he had in 2017. Said he felt better than he had in years in the early offseason.

But he could figure he's sucked up the discomfort on the back long enough, and doesn't need another 10mil.

Or maybe the team is looking to move on from the uncertainty. We moved on from Ware.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The price is good, the context is not. We're piling money on the oline, when we have high oline draft picks who can take over. Does McGovern or Williams ride the pine next year?
One of them does. Williams has to prove himself this year, or else McGovern might take his job.

Im guessing they dont see Williams as a viable option at RT

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did zeke have anything to do with this? Did he demand that la'el be paid now? Just seems odd, did we expect collins to get a long term, like this instant? Before or just before zeke may get his multi year deal? Hmm I'm thinking zeke said something to the likes of "la'el needs to be paid, i feel comfortable running behind him." "If I'm gonna take any less then X, la'el needs to get paid." And so on so forth with demands that I can only imagine were said and denied or accepted by the Jones's...lol. Who knows :huh::laugh:
It was a team friendly deal much like Jaylon's deal was. If a player and agent approach the Jones with something like that, they jump at it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Based on this logic, every move the Cowboys make is good.

LOL
Well, unlike the you and a host of others, I know my limitations. QB and RB are really the only positions us fans can be fairly accurate on. For the QB position, many posters however are influenced what the national media take is as long as it’s negative.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
But there is a lot of gray area in between a homer and a hater… And anytime someone says anything the least bit critical, you think of them as a hater.

Neither extreme is good… Haven’t you ever heard the term the truth lies in the middle?
No, I only criticize the ones that are ALWAYS negative so don’t lie.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One of them does. Williams has to prove himself this year, or else McGovern might take his job.

Im guessing they dont see Williams as a viable option at RT

Could be, although I don't know why not. I think he's a more natural T than G, and lots here want him and Collins to swap positions.