Why couldn’t/didn’t NY buzz down to correct

JBS

Reaction score
Clueless and yet schooling you on the rules. Produce what you're claiming from the rulebook and then we'll talk. Until then you're posturing in the face of not knowing what you're talking about.

google expanded nfl replay - I’ll hold your hand for you

JBS

Reaction score
We are asking the wrong question.

The question is:

Why can’t the refs make the correct damn call?

and why isn’t there a system in place where there is clear evidence of a potentially game deciding turnover and the refs can’t go ahead and correct the call? Because of a stupid arbitrary rule that plays can’t be challenged or changed unless a team has timeouts.

why can’t the booth challenge a clear play like that? It’s idiotic and freaking stupid.

it does exist. It wasn’t used. My guess is it was decided that it was clear and obvious that it was a fumble. But I’m assuming.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Already a thread for this but the play has to be ruled a fumble. A turnover can be reviewed by the booth buzzing down outside of 2 minutes. Since it was called down and not a turnover, it's not reviewable.
Thanks was wondering about this.

lqmac1

Reaction score
No, he's the one who's wrong. NY could not buzz down because it was not ruled a fumble. A turnover is one of the things that can be called in from New York without a challenge. Since they ruled no turnover, it could not be reviewed outside of 2 minutes.
That’s what I thought, but I didn’t know if the rule had changed.

phildadon86

Reaction score

lqmac1

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, this has been the rule for a while, if not always.
Yeah that’s what I have always thought as well. They’ll buzz down on a play deemed a turnover.

I didn’t know if they had changed the rule to being able to buzz down whenever there was a missed call.

JBS

Reaction score
You gonna produce text or casually back away from my challenge by deflecting? Get the rulebook and show me. Here's a link for you since you love Google.

https://operations.nfl.com/media/5427/2021-nfl-rulebook.pdf

ARTICLE 9. GAME ADMINISTRATION AND CONSULTATION. The Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating department may consult with on-field officials, or conduct a replay review, or advise the game officials on specific, objective aspects of a play when clear and obvious video evidence is present, and/or to address game administration issues, including, but not limited to:
(a) penalty enforcement; (b) the proper down;
(c) spot of a foul;
(d) the game clock;
(e) possession;
(f) completed or intercepted pass;
(g) touching of a loose ball, boundary line, goal line, or end line;
(h) location of the football or a player in relation to a boundary line, the line of scrimmage, the line to gain, or the goal line; or (i) down by contact (when a player is not ruled down by contact on the field).
Nothing in this Article precludes a Head Coach or Replay Official from initiating a challenge or review otherwise allowed under Rule 15, Section 1.

Do you want to continue fighting this losing battle or do you just want to say sorry?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I have always thought as well. They’ll buzz down on a play deemed a turnover.

I didn’t know if they had changed the rule to being able to buzz down whenever there was a missed call.

Nope. Only in certain situations can they buzz down but the ruling on the field has to be within those situations. Here, once they call it down by contact, no one can review without a challenge. At least we spent all our timeouts and spared McCarthy looking stupid by not challenging a play he could have. This website would have overloaded had that happened.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
ARTICLE 9. GAME ADMINISTRATION AND CONSULTATION. The Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating department may consult with on-field officials, or conduct a replay review, or advise the game officials on specific, objective aspects of a play when clear and obvious video evidence is present, and/or to address game administration issues, including, but not limited to:
(c) spot of a foul;
(d) the game clock;
(e) possession;
(h) location of the football or a player in relation to a boundary line, the line of scrimmage, the line to gain, or the goal line; or (i) down by contact (when a player is not ruled down by contact on the field).
Nothing in this Article precludes a Head Coach or Replay Official from initiating a challenge or review otherwise allowed under Rule 15, Section 1.

Do you want to continue fighting this losing battle or do you just want to say sorry?

So where is the turnover review in this rule, bro?

IceBowler

Reaction score
We are asking the wrong question.

The question is:

Why can’t the refs make the correct damn call?

and why isn’t there a system in place where there is clear evidence of a potentially game deciding turnover and the refs can’t go ahead and correct the call? Because of a stupid arbitrary rule that plays can’t be challenged or changed unless a team has timeouts.

why can’t the booth challenge a clear play like that? It’s idiotic and freaking stupid.

Agreed. All of the "Reviewable vs non-reviewable" is insanity and does not enhance the game. Either make it ALL reviewable or get rid of it. I watched Pro ball for decades with no booth review.

JBS

Reaction score
So where is the turnover review, bro?
Omg hahaha. ITS NOT A REVIEW!!!! I’ve said this 2000000times. The replay official CHANGES the call on the field WTHOUT reviewing / challenging. It’s done ON THE SPOT

get a fricking clue. Learn what you are watching. Now go away. I held your hand for 2 hours explaining basic nfl procedure to you

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What I'm saying is they could have corrected it today. But didn't. They also missed a delay of game to seal the deal on the same play but of course you think that was the right call as well Troy even said it was a delay of game and he never questions the refs against the Cowboys
Arizona got away with 2 things on that one play, but the delay of game being one of them, is something that happens a lot. The official keeps an eye on the clock and once it goes to zero, then he looks to see if the ball has been snapped. If the ball is snapped within half a second or so, it usually isn't caught.

lqmac1

Reaction score
Nope. Only in certain situations can they buzz down but the ruling on the field has to be within those situations. Here, once they call it down by contact, no one can review without a challenge. At least we spent all our timeouts and spared McCarthy looking stupid by not challenging a play he could have. This website would have overloaded had that happened.
It would defeat the point of challenges if they could buzz down on missed calls.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Omg hahaha. ITS NOT A REVIEW!!!! I’ve said this 2000000times. The replay official CHANGES the call on the field WTHOUT reviewing / challenging. It’s done ON THE SPOT

Where does the rule you posted show they can do so when there is or isn't a turnover? Come on, you can do this without reaching.

JBS

Reaction score
Where does the rule you posted show they can do so when there is or isn't a turnover? Come on, you can do this without reaching.
If you could read , it’s in the section I posted. But you can’t read

IceBowler

Reaction score
(c) spot of a foul;
(d) the game clock;
(e) possession;

Touche' .. Well played, Sir. :clap:

Reactions: JBS

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It would defeat the point of challenges if they could buzz down on missed calls.

The rule I'm referencing falls under the "automatic review of scores" rule. They used it on Thanksgiving when they ruled that Waller from the Raiders did not fumble after they ruled a fumble on the play. Dallas wasn't charged with an official challenge and they reversed the call on the field after consultation.