Why couldn't have Romo been lucky, like Foles?

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
And team building, Foles didnt do it alone, good OL , Very good defense , overall team with not too many holes . Basically no Jerry , no JG ( whos scheme is so outdated) and coach who was not afraid to experiment

Beating Tom and Bellicheck in SB is no small feat. NYG (& Eli) did it with their Elite defense and some luck ( miracle stick catches)

Even though I like beloved Tony , I am sad that we as Cowboys( team and fans) didn't win a SB , let some good individual performers( Witten ,Ware ...) down since Jerry & co didnt build a solid team around them.

I feel where the eagles succeeded and Dallas has failed is the backups. Backups in the nfl do not get much respect. In basketball, your bench is all the talk but it doesn’t get much love in football. How many times has one starter going out seemingly doomed a Cowboys season? Romo, Tyron Smith, Zeke, back to Kyle Kosier... the roster has been very top heavy for years and the backups, unable to play

Praxit

Reaction score
..most of you hit it on the nail.
2007 - 13 Pro Bowlers on the team. In the playoff game Tony was 18 of 36, 1 TD and 1 INT. Rating of 64.7.

Didn't help himself in that playoff game, lost to a Giants team they had beaten twice in the regular season, playing at home.

He was young then, and no doubt that factored into it, but still he didn't play well.

Love Tony, but you have to admit he had a great chance that year...
..this was the only season and 14", that I feel Tony had a shot.

Big_D

Reaction score
Cause the owner is a jack***. His decisions ruined the team before they even got started. Wade and Garrett? lol trading up every other year. Sending 3 picks to Detroit for RW. The special teams draft. The list goes on and on.. Jerry is the reason why 'his' team can't win in the postseason. Maybe Stephen will have better luck?

Big_D

Reaction score
the domino effect of smart decisions vs the domino effect of poor decisions. And the Eagles turned it around pretty quickly on top of it.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
And team building, Foles didnt do it alone, good OL , Very good defense , overall team with not too many holes . Basically no Jerry , no JG ( whos scheme is so outdated) and coach who was not afraid to experiment

Beating Tom and Bellicheck in SB is no small feat. NYG (& Eli) did it with their Elite defense and some luck ( miracle stick catches)

Even though I like beloved Tony , I am sad that we as Cowboys( team and fans) didn't win a SB , let some good individual performers( Witten ,Ware ...) down since Jerry & co didnt build a solid team around them.
Big COPY on that! MY fellow brethren! (Great post in laying it down, too)

That 'scheme' Philly's attack guru laid it out to exemplify the "no brain strengths" of his fielded array was simplistically brilliant in form& execution,,
Melonfeud, footballish scholar & purveyor of other things that are interesting"

***it kinda' was impressive ,watching some of those offensive plays unfoldo_O***

GMO415

Reaction score
Foles inherited a magical one season with Philly. Everything played out to his favor. Tony played his *** off for over 13+ yrs, ends up in the booth.

...Was it bad luck? Destiny? or other (in house, *cough, cough*..) scenarios?

PS.. keep it simple, might help. :omg:
Really?
200.gif

jay94

Reaction score
Was it lucky how many trades they made last year, when has the Cowboys made that many moves? Not anytime soon, not to mention only the Patriots have made more trades than the Eagles the past ten years, that isn't all luck.
I feel where the eagles succeeded and Dallas has failed is the backups. Backups in the nfl do not get much respect. In basketball, your bench is all the talk but it doesn’t get much love in football. How many times has one starter going out seemingly doomed a Cowboys season? Romo, Tyron Smith, Zeke, back to Kyle Kosier... the roster has been very top heavy for years and the backups, unable to play

Well either FO is stupid the coaching staff or and the fans. It's very important and hell we have been one of the healthiest teams in the league too, this team just looks for excuses. The Packers won the Superbowl with the most injured reserve starters in NFL history.

Billyd

Reaction score
Schwartz...Tony got fd in 2014..should have won the MVP Remember Dez caught it!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Although they were few....Romo had his opportunities.
2007...13-3 and home field advantage...lost in first round.
2009...11-5...won wild card game...lost in second round.
2014...12-4...won Wild card game....lost in second round.

Didn’t have enough luck or didn’t take advantage of the opportunities given?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
2007...13-3 and home field advantage...lost in first round.
2009...11-5...won wild card game...lost in second round.
2014...12-4...won Wild card game....lost in second round.

Didn’t have enough luck or didn’t take advantage of the opportunities given?
It depends on how you want to spin it. I could make an argument for both sides.

Romo didn’t have his best games on the biggest stages. And he didn’t have the key support on those stages either.

I think the bigger argument is he didn’t get enough opportunities in his prime. 3 of his 4 playoff appearances came to begin his career starting in 06,07 and 09.

Then injuries begun to take their toll in 2010 and a rebuild in 2011 which in a span of years he had some of his best production on the worst teams he had.

By the time we had built and surrounded him with enough support again he was fragile and unable to sustain which the 2014 team was poised to make a run for several years which also was effected IMO by poor FO decisions after 2014 with Murray and Dez.

It is what it is. Romo was good enough with a better supporting cast. But not elite enough to elevate us further. The same concerns we now have with Dak who obviously needs a greater supporting cast.

And why ultimately given our FO and coaching situation I believe we need a more Elite QB to overcome all of our shortcomings on and off the field. We certainly aren’t helping our dysfunctional situation with less than Elite QB’s.

kskboys

Reaction score
Was it lucky how many trades they made last year, when has the Cowboys made that many moves? Not anytime soon, not to mention only the Patriots have made more trades than the Eagles the past ten years, that isn't all luck.

Well either FO is stupid the coaching staff or and the fans. It's very important and hell we have been one of the healthiest teams in the league too, this team just looks for excuses. The Packers won the Superbowl with the most injured reserve starters in NFL history.
Yeah, and how did they do it? W/ the best DT combo in the NFL. Rothy couldn't handle that pressure up the middle, and Raji caused 2 early picks, one a pick 6. GB won by 5. Ask any QB, he'll tell u that the up the gut pressure is the worst type. And you're not going to get that w/ two 3 tech types!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
A top 5 defense is all Romo needed.

And an OL resembling more of what he had in 2014 throughout his career.
That’s a common belief, but there is no magic formula. Jacksonville had the best defense in the league last year and gave up 35 points to Pittsburgh in the divisional round, then allowed a double digit lead slip away in the 4th quarter against NE in the AFC Championship game. Based upon how our Top 10 offense typically performed in the playoffs, Jacksonville’s defense wouldn’t have made a difference.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
My friend wrote this:

Flacco has a ring and Romo doesn't. Therefore Flacco is clutch and Romo isn't...right?

Our defense to that has always been "well Flacco has a better defense" and someone would respond "Romo has had good defenses". Look at 2009. Hold the hell onto your hats for this one. It's time to destroy that perception BADLY.

Tony Romo: 6 playoff games 8tds - 2ints (team 2-4)

His defense has recorded 4 int's in those games (0 defensive tds) AND even if you add the 3 week 17 elimination games...it's still 4ints and 0 defensive tds.

Joe Flacco: first 6 playoff games 3tds - 6ints (team 4-2) Here's the best part...

In Joe Flacco's FIRST PLAYOFF GAME his team had 4 picks and a defensive td.

So wait, you're telling me that Joe Flacco's defense SURPASSED the production of Romo's 9 elimination game total in ONE GAME????

THIS NEXT ONE WILL DESTROY YOU!

Ed Reed (former Ravens safety) has 64 career ints in 12 seasons.

If you combine Orlando Scandrick, Terence Newman, Mo Claiborne and Brandon Carr's time with Dallas it's just 4 games shy of 28 seasons. In that time they have a combined 51 ints. Add in the 8 playoff games Dallas has been in during that period.. it's still 51. In other words, Ed Reed is better than Dallas' entire secondary. What a great way to support Romo. Defense wins championships.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s a common belief, but there is no magic formula. Jacksonville had the best defense in the league last year and gave up 35 points to Pittsburgh in the divisional round, then allowed a double digit lead slip away in the 4th quarter against NE in the AFC Championship game. Based upon how our Top 10 offense typically performed in the playoffs, Jacksonville’s defense wouldn’t have made a difference.
It still supports what’s needed to take the next step appearing in a championship game which Romo never made due to mostly not having that level of defense.

Which supports the argument I’ve made for years to make it to championship level( which doesn’t necessarily mean winning it but simply appearing) you need either an Elite Defense or QB. IMO we have had neither and still don’t.

We probably had a good enough QB and offense with an Elite Defense. That’s subjective of course. And why I’m for going after that Elite QB if we can’t build an Elite Defense. Because as you referenced those Elite QB’s still handled the Jags Elite Defense.

Having both can elevate you all the way but at least one can take us to a level we haven’t been this era.

Last edited: