Why couldn't have Romo been lucky, like Foles?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
That’s a common belief, but there is no magic formula. Jacksonville had the best defense in the league last year and gave up 35 points to Pittsburgh in the divisional round, then allowed a double digit lead slip away in the 4th quarter against NE in the AFC Championship game. Based upon how our Top 10 offense typically performed in the playoffs, Jacksonville’s defense wouldn’t have made a difference.

Well there is also something to be said about experience and also playing on the road in the playoffs. I would expect that if that Jacksonville D stays together (which they have) and they get to the same point again this season; they would perform better than they did the 1st time they got there, that was a very young team with not alot of experience. Give me that D for 3-4 years with Romo anyday, give me that D with Dak too

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well there is also something to be said about experience and also playing on the road in the playoffs. I would expect that if that Jacksonville D stays together (which they have) and they get to the same point again this season; they would perform better than they did the 1st time they got there, that was a very young team with not alot of experience. Give me that D for 3-4 years with Romo anyday, give me that D with Dak too
Yep.. without that D I don’t think Bortyles is making it to championship game and probably not the playoffs.

GenoT

Reaction score
A certain amount of luck was involved; if Wentz doesn’t go down for the year, Foles never sees the field. But Nick was experienced and prepared, he had a really good team around him and the coaches did a good job of getting him up to speed quickly.

Tony had GM Jerry, Cupcake Phillips and The Clapper. Not enough luck to overcome that much handicap.

kskboys

Reaction score
2007 - 13 Pro Bowlers on the team. In the playoff game Tony was 18 of 36, 1 TD and 1 INT. Rating of 64.7.

Didn't help himself in that playoff game, lost to a Giants team they had beaten twice in the regular season, playing at home.

He was young then, and no doubt that factored into it, but still he didn't play well.

Love Tony, but you have to admit he had a great chance that year...
No, I don't. I watched the game. His OL completely fell apart.

I don't think Romo was the greatest ever, but he never had a super bowl team.

kskboys

Reaction score
A certain amount of luck was involved; if Wentz doesn’t go down for the year, Foles never sees the field. But Nick was experienced and prepared, he had a really good team around him and the coaches did a good job of getting him up to speed quickly.

Tony had GM Jerry, Cupcake Phillips and The Clapper. Not enough luck to overcome that much handicap.
The coach for the Eagles got the tapes of Foles, studied what made him effective, and changed the O to fit his skillset.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't think Romo was the greatest ever, but he never had a super bowl team.

Agreed. But he did have some very good teams, he should have won a few more playoff games and another division title or two...

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
Agreed. But he did have some very good teams, he should have won a few more playoff games and another division title or two...

He had some top heavy teams without much depth.
In 2007, TO played through a high ankle sprain in the playoff game.
In 2009, Marc Columbo was hurt and Doug Free was doing a great job for the second half of the season but the staff insisted on putting Columbo back in for the playoff game and he got beat like a drum.
2014, we all know about the catch.

Those were the only ‘very good’ teams he ever had and they were all pretty top heavy with good players but no depth. Injuries often derail this team because it was in cap hell for so long

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
In 2009, Marc Columbo was hurt and Doug Free was doing a great job for the second half of the season but the staff insisted on putting Columbo back in for the playoff game and he got beat like a drum.

Those were the only ‘very good’ teams he ever had and they were all pretty top heavy with good players but no depth. Injuries often derail this team because it was in cap hell for so long

I said he had "some" good teams, three is "some"...

GMO415

Reaction score
In Cowboys lore....Romo will probably never be mentioned in 15 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
That super bowl D would have got roasted for that performance had they not made one play late. Still they did so..
They did. However, they were playing a top 5 all time QB, which often happens in the playoffs. Doesn't mean they don't have a super bowl D.

NE, on the other hand, has a D that stinks, and it cost them the super bowl.

kskboys

Reaction score

In 07, Glenn kept falling down because he wasn't ready to play, but we simply kept playing him even though he was completely ineffective. Because, as usual, our backups stunk. No depth.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Foles inherited a magical one season with Philly. Everything played out to his favor. Tony played his *** off for over 13+ yrs, ends up in the booth.

...Was it bad luck? Destiny? or other (in house, *cough, cough*..) scenarios?

PS.. keep it simple, might help. :omg:
Jerry

Xelda

Reaction score
I can almost hear JJ breathing down our necks like Darth Vader in episode two where he tells Luke he owns the Cowboys. Or something like that. We all fall down the huge hole yelling NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

So in each of those scenarios, the Cowboys lost one player, or had the one player be ineffective, and that's the reason Tony couldn't win the game?

Sorry, great quarterbacks overcome those types of things, much as I love Tony, he didn't step up in those games, though I will agree he didn't have the best coaching...