Video: Why Dak is the most accurate. NFL Network

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one of those "eye of the beholder" deals. It is not a real stat. Its a flawed and has more to do with the judgement of the QB than accuracy. In fact, in one segment of this video clip, Dak chose to throw the ball in a tight window to witten b/c he flat out missed a wide open Rod Smith coming out of the backfield. Dak throws in a lot of tight windows b/c he's locking onto guys and not seeing the whole field.

Just look at this list. No Brady, Brees, or Rodgers? I can't take a stat seriously that is missing all 3 of those guys.

Ken

Reaction score
This is one of those "eye of the beholder" deals. It is not a real stat. Its a flawed and has more to do with the judgement of the QB than accuracy. In fact, in one segment of this video clip, Dak chose to throw the ball in a tight window to witten b/c he flat out missed a wide open Rod Smith coming out of the backfield. Dak throws in a lot of tight windows b/c he's locking onto guys and not seeing the whole field.

Just look at this list. No Brady, Brees, or Rodgers? I can't take a stat seriously that is missing all 3 of those guys.
Or it could just mean that his wrs are not explosive?

Do you really think Witten and Dez consistently get open? I can tell you watching the tape, it is embarassing how many times Dak drops back and no one is open.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or it could just mean that his wrs are not explosive?

Do you really think Witten and Dez consistently get open? I can tell you watching the tape, it is embarassing how many times Dak drops back and no one is open.

I'm not saying that they are open. I'm saying Dak tends to lock on to to those 2 guys and decides to make those throws. Witten in particular has really good hands and catches everything in his vicinity. But go look at the video this guy is using to prove his point. Wide open Rod Smith crossing under the middle and Dak chooses to throw to Witten with a LB draped on him. Play results in a TD but it was not the smart throw.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'm not saying that they are open. I'm saying Dak tends to lock on to to those 2 guys and decides to make those throws. Witten in particular has really good hands and catches everything in his vicinity. But go look at the video this guy is using to prove his point. Wide open Rod Smith crossing under the middle and Dak chooses to throw to Witten with a LB draped on him. Play results in a TD but it was not the smart throw.

Play results in a TD. But it was not a smart throw?

Hmmm

Also, you’re missing the point of the OP. Many of Dak’s detractors say he is inaccurate and can’t throw the ball. That has nothing to do with his ability to read the defense or make decisions.

So your claim, has nothing to do with his actual accuracy. He can either make the throws at a high rate or he can’t. These stats say he can.

Now of course he has to improve his reads and decision making. He is a young QB.

JeffG

Reaction score
I really love Dak, mostly because I am an unapologetic homer, but I have some problems with this measurement.

1. Look at the other top QBs on this list: Matthew Stafford, Case Keenum, Alex Smith and Big Ben round out the top 5. All good QBs, and I actually think Big Ben is one of the top 3-4 QBs in the league. But where's Tom Brady? Aaron Rodgers? Drew Brees? They're not even in the top 10 on this list.
2. The point of this measurement is that the QBs on this list throw into the smallest windows. So their targets don't have separation at the time of the catch. In the case of this video, the Cowboys WRs have like 0.6-0.7 yards of separation when they make their catches. Wouldn't we be a MUCH better team if our WRs had 5 yards of separation when they made every catch?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Ok, I can see nuanced discussions are beyond your grasp,

Your argument had nothing to do with the OP’s point.

If you want nuanced discussion though.... Witten was Dak’s first read on the play..... by design. Witten was open enough for him to throw it and get the TD. Dak never even looked at the running back, because he didn’t need to. Because his first read was open enough.

That play you cited isn’t an example of poor decision making.

Dak does need to improve his decision making at times. Sure. But your example isn’t a good one.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I like Dak. I championed him during the draft and was very happy we drafted him, but there's no getting around the fact that he was bad last year.
Dak wasn't bad for the entire season last year. He was bad for the second half of the season without Zeke and Dez with a case of dropidis. He's now played two full seasons but you want to count him out for playing bad two months? If I'm a player, I don't want fans to "champion" me if they are going to be so wishy washy with the loyalty. The dude deserves better from his so-called fans.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really love Dak, mostly because I am an unapologetic homer, but I have some problems with this measurement.

1. Look at the other top QBs on this list: Matthew Stafford, Case Keenum, Alex Smith and Big Ben round out the top 5. All good QBs, and I actually think Big Ben is one of the top 3-4 QBs in the league. But where's Tom Brady? Aaron Rodgers? Drew Brees? They're not even in the top 10 on this list.
2. The point of this measurement is that the QBs on this list throw into the smallest windows. So their targets don't have separation at the time of the catch. In the case of this video, the Cowboys WRs have like 0.6-0.7 yards of separation when they make their catches. Wouldn't we be a MUCH better team if our WRs had 5 yards of separation when they made every catch?

Yes on #1. But, the stat only considers the wr whom the QB chose to throw to. It does not consider whether anyone else was more open. It says more about the judgement of the QB than anything. The reason you don't see Brees, Brady, and Rodgers on this list is that they know better than to to throw into tight windows on a regular basis. Just b/c a QB targets a wr on a given play does not mean , particulalry in Dak's case, that nobody else was more open. Go watch the video posted by the op-ed. Of course, he's only going to show you the successes, but you can kind of see the problem anyway in the clip where he throws to Witten for a TD with a LB draped on his back. Thats a low % throw in that window. But, that is the decision Dak made. If you look closer at the clip you'll notice a wide open Rod Smith crossing underneath witten. He would have walked into the end zone. Dak either doesn't see it or just likes to show off his arm and make the tougher throw. In any case, throwing into tight windows is not a stat that should be celebrated.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your argument had nothing to do with the OP’s point.

If you want nuanced discussion though.... Witten was Dak’s first read on the play..... by design. Witten was open enough for him to throw it and get the TD. Dak never even looked at the running back, because he didn’t need to. Because his first read was open enough.

That play you cited isn’t an example of poor decision making.

Dak does need to improve his decision making at times. Sure. But your example isn’t a good one.

Witten was not open and it took a great but LOW % throw to make that play. This is not an isolated incident. One of the reasons Dak took a step back last year was his propensity to lock onto to his primary target and make the throw no matter what. He's not seeing the field.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yes on #1. But, the stat only considers the wr whom the QB chose to throw to. It does not consider whether anyone else was more open. It says more about the judgement of the QB than anything. The reason you don't see Brees, Brady, and Rodgers on this list is that they know better than to to throw into tight windows on a regular basis. Just b/c a QB targets a wr on a given play does not mean , particulalry in Dak's case, that nobody else was more open. Go watch the video posted by the op-ed. Of course, he's only going to show you the successes, but you can kind of see the problem anyway in the clip where he throws to Witten for a TD with a LB draped on his back. Thats a low % throw in that window. But, that is the decision Dak made. If you look closer at the clip you'll notice a wide open Rod Smith crossing underneath witten. He would have walked into the end zone. Dak either doesn't see it or just likes to show off his arm and make the tougher throw. In any case, throwing into tight windows is not a stat that should be celebrated.

The play in question was an RPO, designed for Witten to be the first read on the pass option.

Witten was open enough to throw to, based on TJ fsct that the pass was successful.

Dak never looked at the running back because his first read was open. Dak did what he was supposed to do on that play. He didn’t throw to Witten because he “wants to show off his arm”.

We can find examples of poor decision making, but the play you mention wasn’t a poor decision. Actually it was the right decision. Which is why it was a TD.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Witten was not open and it took a great but LOW % throw to make that play. This is not an isolated incident. One of the reasons Dak took a step back last year was his propensity to lock onto to his primary target and make the throw no matter what. He's not seeing the field. There is a reason the best QB's in the league aren't on this list.

Witten was open. He broke across the defenders body and had body position on the defender. That is open in the NFL. It’s also open when it comes to Witten who is a hall of famer and makes catches like that routinely. That type of catch has been Witten’s bread and butter for over a decade. Witten has a huge size advantage on the defender.

It was the right decision.

I agree that Dak needs to improve his overall decision making. But it’s also not fair to say the primary reason he is so high on the list is because of poor decision making. That doesn’t tell the whole story. And you have no evidence to back it up. The only evidence you provide is a play where he did make the right decision.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The play in question was an RPO, designed for Witten to be the first read on the pass option.

Witten was open enough to throw to, based on TJ fsct that the pass was successful.

Dak never looked at the running back because his first read was open. Dak did what he was supposed to do on that play. He didn’t throw to Witten because he “wants to show off his arm”.

We can find examples of poor decision making, but the play you mention wasn’t a poor decision. Actually it was the right decision. Which is why it was a TD.

The play I mention was simply to make the point that Dak tends toward the more dificult throws. So what if thats his primary target? Thats got nothing to do with anything. You throw to the open guy. Witten was not open and Dak made a low % play and got lucky.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The play I mention was simply to make the point that Dak tends toward the more dificult throws. So what if thats his primary target? Thats got nothing to do with anything. You throw to the open guy. Witten was not open and Dak made a low % play and got lucky.

A slant to Witten who has body position isn’t a low percentage play. That’s the point. Primary target is open. You throw it. It’s not a bad decision.

Now if we talk about all the 9 routes that Dak threw to Dez. When Dez has a defender step for step with him. Yeah. A lof of those were bad decisions. For sure.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

It's not a flawed stat. What it says to me is Brady, Brees and Rodgers don't have to throw in tight windows because their receivers are wide open. And they are. It's not shocking that Stafford and Dak lead this list. None of their guys get much seperation and the have one of the weaker receiving codes.