Why Dallas Deserves To Play Tampa For Season Opener

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I actually think that we win this game.
I think we have a good shot. We’re a talented team and you know the players want to make a statement. The Bucs will naturally be basking in the glow of last season’s title and Brady has historically gotten off to slow starts. I’d rather play them Week 1 than later in the year. Also, with so many new players and a new scheme on defense, the Bucs might not know what to expect from us defensively in the first game of the year with no tape.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Ok. But how did they get branded "America's Team" in the first place?
By winning, and at one time highly regarded as the best sports organization in America.
I'm making a judgement on who's more worthy to play the past year's champions. That seem silly to me.
An announcer dubbed them Americas Team. Not the team nor a player. There’s plenty other things to get your panties in a wad about.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'll never understand why some fans take pride in the "America's Team" thing, as if it's some sort of personal achievement.

I was a kid in the 70s and I thought it was dumb then. Now it just seems silly.

"We haven't sniffed a ring in 25 years but we're still America's Team!" :oldcouple:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL needs a kick off to counter another down year in the ratings and a bizarre season.

It is fortuitous that they have each other on the schedule and I'd bet TB is jazzed to be opening defense of their title against the team with the name they're underserving of with most teams in the NFL.

I don't buy bulletin board motivation but I think some teams do get a little extra fire playing the Cowboys and that is helped by their owner embracing and using the name in promotion.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I'll never understand why some fans take pride in the "America's Team" thing, as if it's some sort of personal achievement.

"We haven't sniffed a ring in 25 years but we're still America's Team!" :oldcouple:
Well, let’s see. It WAS an achievement for the team and we’re fans of the team, so......

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When NFL Films used that tag, they had no idea the residual effect it would have. Landry and probably every coach since then hasn't liked it and every FO has loved it.

I am still baffled as to why that still exists after these last 25 years of nothing. If I were not a long time fan, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch this team. I do not get the attraction but is is there, still there and going strong.

I laughed at Booger trying to spin getting flexed out of prime time to early on CBS, usually the worst rated game of the week. He tried to turn it into a compliment that they needed the help with the earlier games, not that his team sucked and the planet was all of the sudden, all about the Brownies. Damn if that wasn't the highest rated early game all season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, let’s see. It WAS an achievement for the team and we’re fans of the team, so......
Except it really wasn't an achievement because that wasn't the goal. If they'd marketed and promoted the team to get that it would have been different but it just happened and at the time, they really didn't have an explanation as to why. There were better teams with more trophies.

The only thing different Schramm had done was make the Cowboys Mexico's team. He built the strongest radio network in broadcast history throughout Texas, New Mexico and Mexico, he went after those people to make them fans and was very successful. He was also sending merch to the major Mexican cities.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Its all about ratings....

Look closely at the schedule...
We have one Monday game, 3 Thursday games.
We have 5 games in the late afternoon slot (3PM), and 5 games in the evening slot (7PM)

Six of our AWAY games Tampa, Chargers, Pats, Vikings, KC, and New Orleans are in the 3PM or 7PM slot.
At home Philly and Washington are evening games and the Giants are a 3PM game

At Philly, at Washington, at NY Giants, are all early games/noon and home games Carolina, Denver, Atlanta, Arizona are at noon (early games).

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's not at ALL about "deserve."

They qualified per schedule formula that's been in place since the Texans joined the league.

Who were the other options?

The Saints with no QB?

Either the league doesn't buy into Buffalo as a ratings draw, or they didn't see interconference as ideal.

The Cowboys were the logical choice by far and I started a thread on it in January.

I was actually surprised how many didn't agree that Dallas would play in that game.

I personally see it as a lose/lose scenario for us in my own warped way....but we will have 16 other shots to win games.
How did you start a thread about it in January when the game wasn't announced until last month. We didn't even know the Bucs would win the Super Bowl in January. :rolleyes:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually think that we win this game.
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddddde, where the hell have you been?

I agree, SB teams can start the next season flat and even miss the playoffs and TB started off raggedy last season. Do they pick up where they left off or start over?

fivetwos

Reaction score
How did you start a thread about it in January when the game wasn't announced until last month. We didn't even know the Bucs would win the Super Bowl in January. :rolleyes:
Ok....whoops. Must have been early February.

Not difficult to find if you're that interested. The overall point didn't change.

I wasnt trying to shave a month off to sound cool.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Ok....whoops. Must have been early February.

Not difficult to find if you're that interested. The overall point didn't change.

I wasnt trying to shave a month off to sound cool.
Fair enough. January just didn't add up in my mind. February, after the Super Bowl, makes much more sense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Fair enough. January just didn't add up in my mind. February, after the Super Bowl, makes much more sense.
No problem at all.

I'm also not trying to be right....I just noticed the possibility before I heard it elsewhere and when I saw the other options....I knew it would happen.

I'd rather play them any other week than that opener.

They are going to be as fired up as possible and treat it like a second SB in the same spot.

Teams like then often suffer SB hangovers, but it won't have kicked in yet for them in week one lol.

Hope I'm wrong but there are 16 other games.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It's not at ALL about "deserve."

They qualified per schedule formula that's been in place since the Texans joined the league.

Who were the other options?

The Saints with no QB?

Either the league doesn't buy into Buffalo as a ratings draw, or they didn't see interconference as ideal.

The Cowboys were the logical choice by far and I started a thread on it in January.

I was actually surprised how many didn't agree that Dallas would play in that game.

I personally see it as a lose/lose scenario for us in my own warped way....but we will have 16 other shots to win games.

Tampa's other home opener options were:
Atlanta
Miami
Chicago
NY Giants
Buffalo
New Orleans (without Brees)
Carolina​

NFL Executive: "Hmmm. What would generate the most buzz to open the season? I honestly have no idea. Let's just throw a dart at a board."

Not rocket science.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Tampa's other home opener options were:
Atlanta
Miami
Chicago
NY Giants
Buffalo
New Orleans (without Brees)
Carolina​

NFL Executive: "Hmmm. What would generate the most buzz to open the season? I honestly have no idea. Let's just throw a dart at a board."

Not rocket science.
Exactly right lol.

I wonder if Jerry lobbied for this game. I doubt he needed to.

Buffalo is better than us but....back to your point.