Why demanding a blowout is silly

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Almost all week, these boards have been full of “If we don’t beat Miami by __ points, we suck.” That notion is silly. Why?

The only reason so many of fans want to see us win by a blowout Sunday is because margin of victory somehow affects how we feel about our team. That's the only reason. We as fans (and football writers) are quick to see a margin of victory in a win as some kind of confirmation of what we believe about our team. But actually, in the NFL, winning itself is the confirmation. Not point spreads. If we win Sunday by one point or fifty, we remain in first place of the NFC east.

This isn’t college football, where point spreads matter to impress voters. Thankfully NFL teams don’t qualify for the playoffs based on a vote of football writers.

What do I expect Sunday? I expect Dallas to win. By one or by fifty. Just win.
It is silly to say we suk if we don’t win by a certain margin. But it’s not silly to expect a blowout. If it doesn’t happen then we move on with a victory. A W is a W in the NFL.

Wining by a certain margin does matter if you’re wagering on the game which millions of fans do..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Almost all week, these boards have been full of “If we don’t beat Miami by __ points, we suck.” That notion is silly. Why?

The only reason so many of fans want to see us win by a blowout Sunday is because margin of victory somehow affects how we feel about our team. That's the only reason. We as fans (and football writers) are quick to see a margin of victory in a win as some kind of confirmation of what we believe about our team. But actually, in the NFL, winning itself is the confirmation. Not point spreads. If we win Sunday by one point or fifty, we remain in first place of the NFC east.

This isn’t college football, where point spreads matter to impress voters. Thankfully NFL teams don’t qualify for the playoffs based on a vote of football writers.

some just dont get it and realize that not one of those wins are impressive for a Resume'.. at this point I also am happy its win but until they start playing the big boys, my enthusiasm is on simmer..

jnday

Reaction score

If this team is as good as advertised, a blowout is not demanded, but it should be expected. In previous years, Dallas has played to the level of competition that they face. This needs to stop. A truly great team plays to the level that they are capable of playing no matter who they face. They should always play up to their full potential. Anything else is a disappointment.

Silly

Reaction score
Cowboys need to maintain the momentum and play a solid game. In the past it seems like JG team's always find a way to piss away games they don't think are important. This needs to change. I don't care by how many TDS they win by as long as they play like champions.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You are confirming BobHaze's point. Miami held the Dolphins to 379 yards. The Pats scored 43 because of 5 Dolphin turnovers. There are no easy games in the NFL.
how did Miami hold the dolphins to 379..lol

I do remember that was a 16-0 game int he 4th so it was easy at first..the TOs did pile up so they piled on..we dont get too many TOs so my expectations is 31-13..

Nav22

Reaction score

Nailed it. The Dolphins are an NFL team with NFL players. I’ll be happy as long as we get to 3-0, style points be damned.

Fire407

Reaction score
We do not know they are historically bad. We know they got clobbered by two of the best teams in the AFC. It was only 7-0 late into second quarter on Sunday. Patriots might have their best team in years.
We do know that the Dolphins management will be pissed if somehow they win this game, or any games this season. Although tanking happens in the NBA, this is a historic tank job for an NFL team.

GenoT

Reaction score
It is silly to say we suk if we don’t win by a certain margin. But it’s not silly to expect a blowout. If it doesn’t happen then we move on with a victory. A W is a W in the NFL.

Wining by a certain margin does matter if you’re wagering on the game which millions of fans do..
As a formerly serious gambler, even in my heyday (early 1970s), I wouldn’t have touched this game with a 10ft pole.

Too many potential variables.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not that anything you said was wrong, Bob, but the real reason it's silly to expect a blowout is because if you're a fan of the Cowboys you know what this coaching staff is going to do with a 3 possession lead: Bench the starters.
Good, and they should still score more than Miami after they do. :laugh:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Yeah seems fans and media alike are just expecting a slaughter. While I understand that Miami is just absolutely atrocious, any given Sunday comes to mind. You just never know.

With that said I do expect an easy win. LOL

Blackspider214

Reaction score
A win is a win in the NFL but the Dolphins are beyond bad. They are an XFL quality team who is actively tanking. If we struggle at home with this type of team, that is very troublesome. I don't care about some huge blowout but no excuse why this game should be close. Patriots slept walk to a 43pt win on the road against them. Ravens were up like 49-0 or whatever at half.

You can spin it how you want but a close win would be bad. A loss? Cancel the season type stuff lol.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't want to see struggles against a team like Miami, so I do want a comfortable win. But "comfortable" simply means we get a lead and stay in control throughout. Whether that ends up as a win by 10, 20. 30 … that's not what's important. Besides, even if we get a big lead it's unlikely we will keep slinging the ball around the field. At some point we would start running a lot to keep the clock running.

nobody

Reaction score
If this team is as good as advertised, a blowout is not demanded, but it should be expected. In previous years, Dallas has played to the level of competition that they face. This needs to stop. A truly great team plays to the level that they are capable of playing no matter who they face. They should always play up to their full potential. Anything else is a disappointment.

Cowboys need to maintain the momentum and play a solid game. In the past it seems like JG team's always find a way to piss away games they don't think are important. This needs to change. I don't care by how many TDS they win by as long as they play like champions.

These. Garrett needs to develop the killer instinct to go for the throat, step on the gas, don't let up that playoff winning teams have displayed over the past 20 years....it's something Garrett struggles with....and it shows.