Why did Dak become mobile again?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
For the last several games, we've seen Dak make plays with his legs. I think we can all agree that this adds a great dimension to our offense. With that said, we know about the injury he had years ago. Is he now feeling more comfortable in running, or did someone go to him possibly and say we need you to use your legs more? Please give your thoughts

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
For the last several games, we've seen Dak make plays with his legs. I think we can all agree that this adds a great dimension to our offense. With that said, we know about the injury he had years ago. Is he now feeling more comfortable in running, or did someone go to him possibly and say we need you to use your legs more? Please give your thoughts
The line wasn't holding up as in the past - it came out of necessity imo.

In the Wash game the line was giving him all kinds of time so he picked his spots.

This line is not a top line like in Daks rookie season, so he's gotta keep using his legs and also call plays that move the pocket.

Add to that good screens play and he should be good.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My guess is they have discussed and worked on avoiding getting in a bind with the pass rush (sacks/pressures) or forcing a pass into coverage as a result of waiting too long in the pocket for something to open up. They want as quick a decision as possible, so if something doesn't open up quickly after going through his progressions, either move out of the pocket to buy time, or run for yardage himself.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Because we at CowboysZone pushed the issue and he listened. Same with CeeDee Lamb last season. We started talking about how he might not get a second contract and then BLAMO! All-Pro level production. Hope we're proud of ourselves, CowboysZoners!

Redline360

Reaction score
With any injury especially those of his caliber it's more mental then anything else. Granted there are those injuries that just sap players of there natural abilities and they never return to form depending on the position played.

Also with the line playing better he picks his opportunities for big chunks

The offense and Dak look completely different when he uses his legs. That's the style that works best for him

CCBoy

Reaction score
He was protecting progressions, probably team directed, involving positional demands for his play. He has remained without major physical problems. All is in and his inclusion on this team unity and strength...he is throwing all back into the diversity and potential to produce. I like it.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Didn't Dak publicly explain this?

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dak-prescott-hurt-legs-says-coach-dallas-cowboys-qb-run-more

Dak's seven rushing attempts weren't part of the game plan, but rather a result of how the game was playing out.
"I'd say it's how the game unfolded," Prescott said of his running ability against the Chargers. "It was a little bit of a conscious effort by [me], coming off of last week and realizing it's something we could use and, obviously, those guys had some great coverage. … But [our] guys did a great job of coming open and staying alive, the offensive line was keeping their bodies on someone and giving me a chance to get out in different lanes. It's just kind of how it played [out], but I think it's something that can benefit us."

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he has faith in his ankle it's taken a while.
He is effective throwing down field outside the pocket he was super effective in 2016 . He is not a pocket passer beyond 15 yds under any pressure. As we approach these difficult teams and playoffs the more he's on the move the better.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
He was not a great Pocket Passing QB.
His mobility is one reason he was so effective earlier in his career.
Glad to see him getting back to what worked for him .
He also has really good accuracy when throwing on the run.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Because we at CowboysZone pushed the issue and he listened. Same with CeeDee Lamb last season. We started talking about how he might not get a second contract and then BLAMO! All-Pro level production. Hope we're proud of ourselves, CowboysZoners!
when 95% of team fan base was saying they weren't happy with him, it might have triggered a brain wave. why he couldn't come to that conclusion on his own is beyond me.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I remember him saying something going into the bye that he realized it was a part of his game he had not been utilizing, I think it was a conscious realization/effort to incorporate it back into his game.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a good question Coogs. I think it took him a long time to be comfortable again moving around after that awful ankle break he had in 2020. It’s a guess but I think there’s something to that.

I broke my ankle in HS playing basketball and it took me about a year to regain confidence in running and jumping. Again, this is a guess, I could be completely wrong!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Someone said to him instead of standing there like Bledsoe, taking a sack and losing the game how about you run out of the pocket and make something happen.

foofighters

Reaction score
He went over to T-Mobile...duh... Got a better deal on a new iphone and BAM! He's mobile again!!!!

diamonddelts

Reaction score
He stopped running with flippers on.