Why did Dallas draft Leighton Vander Esch?

cowboyed

Reaction score
I don't know why we are characterizing LVE as injury prone. The team is being extra careful with him because he suffered a deep nasty stinger. They brought him back to soon, so LVE basically re-aggravated it, and they have been giving him more time to heal. The only one that deserves the injury prone badge in recent years is Sean Lee.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Leighton Vander Esch has spinal stenosis. Had it his whole life.

That's the same condition that ended Michael Irvin's career. And he wasn't a head-butting middle linebacker.

This condition was why many NFL teams took Vander Esch off their board before the 2018 draft. He was deemed too risky to take early in the draft.

Apparently dating back to high school and college, he's had continuous issues with neck injuries just like he's going through now. I wonder if his poor play is partly because he's mentally trying to protect his neck at all times.

Why would you draft a linebacker with a severe neck injury risk in the first round? What are we doing early in these otherwise good drafts in recent years?

We could already be looking at the end of his career sooner rather than later. He could end up in the same scrap heap as Randy Gregory, Taco Charlton, and Trysten Hill in the end.

Erod, I am surprised that you didn't get scorched for making this statement. The usual forum agitators, must be on vacation.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Leighton Vander Esch has spinal stenosis. Had it his whole life.

That's the same condition that ended Michael Irvin's career. And he wasn't a head-butting middle linebacker.

This condition was why many NFL teams took Vander Esch off their board before the 2018 draft. He was deemed too risky to take early in the draft.

Apparently dating back to high school and college, he's had continuous issues with neck injuries just like he's going through now. I wonder if his poor play is partly because he's mentally trying to protect his neck at all times.

Why would you draft a linebacker with a severe neck injury risk in the first round? What are we doing early in these otherwise good drafts in recent years?

We could already be looking at the end of his career sooner rather than later. He could end up in the same scrap heap as Randy Gregory, Taco Charlton, and Trysten Hill in the end.
where is the link for the spinal stenosis? I searched and the top link on google for this is your post.

After more clicking i came to a website that we cant name here and it basically said he doesnt have any illness that at the combine they took a bad ct scan and speculation went from there but it was cleared up. He missed some time his sophmore yr but from a concussion. Cleared that up with visits to a chiropractor.

The rules say dont be posting false things lol

erod

Reaction score
where is the link for the spinal stenosis? I searched and the top link on google for this is your post.

After more clicking i came to a website that we cant name here and it basically said he doesnt have any illness that at the combine they took a bad ct scan and speculation went from there but it was cleared up. He missed some time his sophmore yr but from a concussion. Cleared that up with visits to a chiropractor.

The rules say dont be posting false things lol
Multiple teams took him off their draft board. I've heard at least Mike Fisher mention that he was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, although there are degrees to that condition.

He doesn't wear that neck brace on his shoulder pads for nothing. He's had this injury multiple times.

John813

Reaction score
Anyone actually spend money on Fishers subscription?

Would have to think he would be pushing some type of exclusive content on LVE via his twitter if this was the case.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Multiple teams took him off their draft board. I've heard at least Mike Fisher mention that he was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, although there are degrees to that condition.

He doesn't wear that neck brace on his shoulder pads for nothing. He's had this injury multiple times.
I just posted why some teams were concerned. At the combine the medical people took a bad ct scan. But it was cleared up. And this came straight from him. Not speculation from people like fisher. He mentioned that a person did post about a medical scare but did it for clicks. Sounds like Fisher. Could it have been a leak from the Cowboys to scare teams away from their pick?

erod

Reaction score
I just posted why some teams were concerned. At the combine the medical people took a bad ct scan. But it was cleared up. And this came straight from him. Not speculation from people like fisher. He mentioned that a person did post about a medical scare but did it for clicks. Sounds like Fisher. Could it have been a leak from the Cowboys to scare teams away from their pick?

If he doesn't play another game this season over a stinger, I think we have cause to worry.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If he doesn't play another game this season over a stinger, I think we have cause to worry.

He just did a interview about this, and said he's playing it safe and not wanting to have it linger and cause any real damage. Says this is about me wanting to play more than 10 yrs and not 4. He says it was a bad stinger but says this now is about not rushing back. I thinkthis team has come to grips that this season is lost, so why rush him back.

This is smart, just look at career and recent of ware and tyron both rushed back and the neck and back injuries have cut and are cutting their careers short

erod

Reaction score
He just did a interview about this, and said he's playing it safe and not wanting to have it linger and cause any real damage. Says this is about me wanting to play more than 10 yrs and not 4. He says it was a bad stinger but says this now is about not rushing back. I thinkthis team has come to grips that this season is lost, so why rush him back.

This is smart, just look at career and recent of ware and tyron both rushed back and the neck and back injuries haev cut and are cutting their careers short

Truth be told, the team is better without him this year. He and Jaylon are just awful this season. Thomas and Lee are both better options. I'm even up for seeing more Gifford.

Linebackers have been a severe weakness on this team.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Truth be told, the team is better without him this year. He and Jaylon are just awful this season. Thomas and Lee are both better options. I'm even up for seeing more Gifford.

Linebackers have been a severe weakness on this team.
Is it them or is the interior DL awful?

All you gotto do it watch and see how SMith, Vander Esch, Lee, Thomas, and Even the Safties are being pounded by the Interior OL. The DTs are supposed to be there to cover them, and they arent because this scheme is taking them out of the play leaving them exposed.

erod

Reaction score

All you gotto do it watch and see how SMith, Vander Esch, Lee, Thomas, and Even the Safties are being pounded by the Interior OL. The DTs are supposed to be there to cover them, and they arent because this scheme is taking them out of the play leaving them exposed.
No, it's them.

They overrun everything and miss tackles at an alarming rate.

Jaylon looks like he's on roller skates. Chicago and Buffalo just looked for him on every play and threw right at him. He can't cover at all.

Vander Esch looked hurt every game. His aggression is gone.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
No, it's them.

Jaylon looks like he's on roller skates. Chicago and Buffalo just looked for him on every play and threw right at him. He can't cover at all.

I see this over and over but i see 1 or 2 plays like and fans take that and say its the whole game. To me what ive seen is the more responsibility that Richard has gotten the worse this defense has gotten.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't know why we are characterizing LVE as injury prone. The team is being extra careful with him because he suffered a deep nasty stinger. They brought him back to soon, so LVE basically re-aggravated it, and they have been giving him more time to heal. The only one that deserves the injury prone badge in recent years is Sean Lee.
Read the OP and you'll see why.

kskboys

Reaction score

No, it's them.

Little bit of both. It seriously does not have to be one or the other.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

"Extra careful"

That's what happened to him in college. This isn't the first time - except LVE seems to be a liar about his past injury.