Twitter: Why did we get rid of Charvarius Ward?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Because we needed OL depth with Fredrick getting hurt, and while he did play well he was behind, Jomes, Awuzie, Brown, and Lewis. He was at the time an extra in a deep secondary.

Exactly, he was 5th on the depth chart when we were carrying 4 CBs. We needed a backup OG and Ehlinger had a fluke injury after he was acquired or it would be one of those classic depth trades that benefit both teams.

But we should definitely freak out.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It's after the fact knowledge that it was for nothing. They couldn't have known in advance that Ehinger would get hurt.
Who was the better depth player at the time was it ward or ehinger based on play? It was ward. I remember being a little taken back seeing ward get traded after having a very good camp

Plankton

Reaction score
I need assistance here. Is this Will McClay's fault? Jason Garrett's fault? Or Dumb and Dumber's (Jones and Son) fault? It gets confusing trying to keep up.

Kaiser

Reaction score
As an undrafted free agent buried on the depth chart. In those cases a player almost has to make your eyes pop out of the coaches heads to get noticed. That's not just a Cowboy thing. It certainly made more sense to trade him at the time than Jones, Awuzie, Brown or Lewis.

And the people who went nuts over Jourdan Lewis not getting enough snaps would have melted down if Ward got snaps over him.

Another point on Ward being a UDFA is that when I was went to Oxnard that year Ward was a guy Kris Richard was barking at constantly and doing technique work with all the time (I was only there a few days though). You can certainly make an argument that the only reason Ward became valuable enough to trade was Richard's coaching.

Reactions: BAT

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
And the people who went nuts over Jourdan Lewis not getting enough snaps would have melted down if Ward got snaps over him.

Another point on Ward being a UDFA is that when I was went to Oxnard that year Ward was a guy Kris Richard was barking at constantly and doing technique work with all the time (I was only there a few days though). You can certainly make an argument that the only reason Ward became valuable enough to trade was Richard's coaching.
But he's now better not under Richard lol. Richard is a garbage coach glad he's gone

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He was on the team for literally 7 days before screwing his knee up in practice (Ehinger). Ward was balling.

We did wave Ehinger in like less than a year though. I'll never understand that trade, or why we felt the need to go grab scrubs like Tavon Austin and Jamize Olawale.
This is way more problematic than trading Ward.

More specifically, the fact that they went out and got them but then failed to use them is a huge problem.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
This is way more problematic than trading Ward.

More specifically, the fact that they went out and got them but then failed to use them is a huge problem.
Agreed - and it's even more egregious when it comes to Jamize. We traded for him, and paid him, to only use him on special teams?

Isn't he the highest paid FB in the league? He's on a three year deal.

John813

Reaction score
Agreed - and it's even more egregious when it comes to Jamize. We traded for him, and paid him, to only use him on special teams?

4th for AAV.

Kyle Juszczyk leads the league in cap hit for a FB.

The Cowboys under Garrett seemed to have a handful of players they would overhype but then they would never use them or the player peaked as a ST player only.

Reactions: BAT

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

The trade is whatever, it was just swapping late picks.

It just doesn't make sense because they went after him specifically for his skillset as a receiver. Then never tried to use it at all. It was a meh move originally, but it's horrible when you don't even try to make it work.

CWR

Reaction score
Only if you can pry him away from the XFL.

I cant blame Rod for Newman, its just been an ongoing thing Ive noticed in our defensive backfield. He really did look like burnt toast when he left Dallas.

Its crazy how much of an impact coaching and system have on a players career.

I still think Stephen Jackson would have been historically good had we drafted him, LIKE WE WERE SUPPOSED TO. Passing on him when we were in desperate need of a RB was one of my most frustrating draft day moments.