Why didn’t they just draft DK in the second round

Hardline

Reaction score
Moss had a bit of a problem child reputation which normally would not have deterred the Cowboys from drafting him. Unfortunately Michael Irvin's antics much of his career made the Cowboys shy away from drafting Moss. The Cowboys had their snoot full of negative publicity not only from Irvin but some other players as well. The Cowboys did not want another talented high profile wide receiving disrupter of the wrong kind. Jerry Jones still laments not drafting Randy Moss as well.
I know but you don't pass up talent like that.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yea they traded for Cooper, but why omg why didn’t they pick Metcalf in the second round? Every time they play that Quick commercial with the bunny ears it rubs it in a little more. All you had to do was play Tecmo Bowl to know they guy was going to be a star.

When he fell to us in the second round I was screaming for them to draft him. I remained mad for not drafting him up until we drafted CeeDee Lamb. Then I forgave them.

To be honest, I'm still mad. But lets be serious. I don't think DK is the type of WR for our quarterback. He would be better suited for a QB like Tony Romo to take advantage of. We have an entirely different type QB. But I'm still mad. At one point DK was ranked between 10-15 on most boards before he dropped.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
He was definitely a possibility with their 2nd round pick if he was there. Trading for Cooper would have had nothing to do with that. Its just not how they operate. Just like it didnt matter when we took Lamb the following year after we extended Cooper
We took Lamb because he was a consensus Top 10 pick that fell in our lap. Metcalfe was not thought of in that way.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Rodgers is great, but has only managed to win one Superbowl and that was with McCarthy as his coach.
How many Super Bowls have we won in the last 27 years. How many times have we made it out of the Wildcard round?

GINeric

Reaction score
How many Super Bowls have we won in the last 27 years. How many times have we made it out of the Wildcard round?

Thats true, but there are 4 or 5 other Quarterbacks i would take right now over him that have ONE superbowl win. Rodgers is great, but...

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Thats true, but there are 4 or 5 other Quarterbacks i would take right now over him that have ONE superbowl win. Rodgers is great, but...
I will make it simple for you. Rodgers or Romo, Dak and a ESPN personality (Swaggoo):laugh:

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Because this management team was comfortable with Cole Beasley as our #1. We only traded for Cooper out of desperation after totally neglecting the position the off-season before.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Every single team in the league has their "shoulda, coulda, woulda's"
The one I always think about is in the USFL supplemental draft. The Giants needed a LT and took one a pick before Reggie White. Could you imagine a young Reggie White with a young LT. Arguably the two greatest defenders ever. The NFC East dodged one there.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Yea they traded for Cooper, but why omg why didn’t they pick Metcalf in the second round? Every time they play that Quick commercial with the bunny ears it rubs it in a little more. All you had to do was play Tecmo Bowl to know they guy was going to be a star.

Our FO aka drunken monkeys told us back then that there are no good WRs in the draft.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I know but you don't pass up talent like that.
I don't disagree, just pointing out why they came to that decision and the Cowboys do regret it. Everytime I saw Randy Moss play, particularly against us it was definitely painful to watch.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Dk has been decent. Crazy athlete. Not someone I'm going to be upset that we didn't draft though.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Metcalf definitely had some flaws coming out. There were a lot of teams that had doubts about him, starting with his route running and the fact that you could time his 3-cone drill with a sun-dial.

He’s better than I thought he’d be but he’s still kind of a one trick pony… but that one trick in pretty nice.

Still, personally speaking, I didn’t want to draft him because terrible 3-cone drills don’t usually equal a good NFL WR. Now, I really liked Deebo a lot but SF nabbed him.

I don’t blame any team for passing on Metcalf. Kudos to Seattle for making it work. I’ll be interested to see if he’s the same now with Wilson gone. Russ is one of the best deep ball throwers in the league.
Put Metcalf in the right situation and he becomes megatron, losing his QB to Denver does him no favors.