Why didn't Emmitt win an MVP in 1995?

MrKennedyKennedy

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith's MVP season in 1993 was something that really interested me and kinda suprised me because he actually had fewer yards than in previous years (He had fewe yards than the previuous two years) and was the only year from 1990-1996 that he did not score double-digit touchdowns.

I feel that he was slighted in 1995; more yards and more TD's.

wick

Reaction score
He missed the first two games in 1993. Without looking it up, I think '93 was his only season of averaging over five yards a carry.

Org1

Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2271594 said:
Emmitt Smith's MVP season in 1993 was something that really interested me and kinda suprised me because he actually had fewer yards than in previous years (He had fewe yards than the previuous two years) and was the only year from 1990-1996 that he did not score double-digit touchdowns.

It was the 0-2 start that locked down the MVP for Emmitt in 93 more than his stats (even though he chased Bettis down for the rushing titile)

Cowboys lost every game that he didn't play in and won them all (exception was that Miami debacle)
They lost 3 without him (if I'm not mistaken I believe he left the ATL game that year in the 1st qrt with an injury)

Not saying you didn't know all that but just highlighting it
He absolutely had to get the MVP that year
Defending champs with all that talent go 0-3 without him...yup
This is also the season I bring up when arguing his importance to the team

In an argument against Emmitt people always bring up the line and Irvin and Aikman but look at how that team, in their prime, could not win without him

As far as 95 though who did get the MVP ? Was it Favre?

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Brett Favre won.

Emmitt might have had a better statistical season, but he just wasn't having enough fun out there on the field like Favre.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;2271641 said:
Brett Favre won.

Emmitt might have had a better statistical season, but he just wasn't having enough fun out there on the field like Favre.

Yeah those interceptions really make Sundays feel gay. :D

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Wolfpack;2271660 said:
Yeah those interceptions really make Sundays feel gay. :D

yeah, 13 picks in a season is terrible when you only throw 38 TDs that year

CowboyMark

Reaction score
MrKennedyKennedy;2271594 said:

The game against the giants in the season finale pretty much wrapped the mvp for emmitt that year. There are always cases for other players to win mvp in a particular season in any sport.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Org1;2271628 said:
It was the 0-2 start that locked down the MVP for Emmitt in 93 more than his stats (even though he chased Bettis down for the rushing titile)

Cowboys lost every game that he didn't play in and won them all (exception was that Miami debacle)
They lost 3 without him (if I'm not mistaken I believe he left the ATL game that year in the 1st qrt with an injury)

In an argument against Emmitt people always bring up the line and Irvin and Aikman but look at how that team, in their prime, could not win without him

Nice post. I think Dallas would have had trouble winning without Aikman and probably Irvin, too. We had no running game without him though so you're right; he certainly deserved it as much or more than anyone else. They got it right.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
Favre did have a great season in 1995, so I don't think you can say Emmitt was shafted that year. It probably also has to do with Favre being young and new. Emmitt was old news by that point.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Org1;2271628 said:

i've always said the exact same thing.. we won without Aikman, we won without Irvin, but we could never, ever win without Emmitt.. pretty amazing that right there in our prime, with all that talent, we start off the season 0-2, and all of a sudden that offensive line doesn't look as good and Aikman doesn't look as good.. then Emmitt comes back and we are unstoppable again.. it's amazing to say with all the records and championships he's won, but i honestly think that Emmitt Smith might be the most underrated football player of all-time..

rcaldw

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;2271950 said:
i've always said the exact same thing.. we won without Aikman, we won without Irvin, but we could never, ever win without Emmitt.. pretty amazing that right there in our prime, with all that talent, we start off the season 0-2, and all of a sudden that offensive line doesn't look as good and Aikman doesn't look as good.. then Emmitt comes back and we are unstoppable again.. it's amazing to say with all the records and championships he's won, but i honestly think that Emmitt Smith might be the most underrated football player of all-time..

With all due respect, and I mean that sincerely, because we all have our view of things, this is the most overrated, over repeated view of Emmitt Smith that has ever been propagated.

Emmitt was GREAT. Aikman was GREAT. Irvin was GREAT. Take ANY of the three away and they don't win 3 Super Bowls, PERIOD. Emmitt had it to himself after Aikman and Irvin were gone, and how good were we? If you say it's because the talent level had dropped off, then you are making my point for me. Football is a TEAM sport. Great TEAMS win. The 2 losses to start 1993 were less about Emmitt Smith as it was about a disgruntled team, mad at Jerry Jones over it, and about the fact THAT A ROOKIE, NEVER MAKING A START BEFORE IN HIS LIFE, AND NEVER DOING ANYTHING WITH HIS FUTURE, NAMED DERRICK LASSIC was who we turned to.

Let me give you the same scenario just 3 years earlier. It was 1990. Dallas had won 4 straight. One more win and they make the playoffs. Troy Aikman went down with a shoulder separation in Philly. Emmitt was there. Irvin was there. Same offensive line was there. Know what happened? DALLAS LOST BOTH GAMES WITHOUT AIKMAN. Want to know why? Because we had a no talent guy named Babe Laufenberg trying to fill his shoes. (JUST LIKE DERRICK LASSIC)

Jones learned his lesson and always had competent backups to Aikman after that, but continued to put stiffs behind Emmitt Smith, why I'll never know.

If we had the equivilent of what the Chargers had last year, for example, with Michael Turner filling in for Emmitt do you think he couldn't have played well enough?

If Aikman's career and Emmitt's career had ended that day in 1990, I could say "The Cowboys could never win a game without Aikman."

All of that kind of talk is just silly. I can show you PLAYOFF games where Dallas won after Emmitt went down with injury in the first quarter. (At home against the Packers and the backup running back was the Penn State guy who never made it, his name escapes me at the moment.)

Was Emmitt the best all-around running back in football during his career? Without question.

Aikman was the general, and Emmitt Smith has said so. Emmitt himself credits the Cowboys greatness in the 90's to Aikman's work ethic, leadership and stellar play.

Why do we have to pit the triplets against each other? I'll never understand it.

Rudy

Reaction score
I'm guessing this thread was sparked because of the NFL Network broadcast of the GB @ Dallas playoff game in 95?!

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
rcaldw;2271960 said:
With all due respect, and I mean that sincerely, because we all have our view of things, this is the most overrated, over repeated view of Emmitt Smith that has ever been propagated.

Emmitt was GREAT. Aikman was GREAT. Irvin was GREAT. Take ANY of the three away and they don't win 3 Super Bowls, PERIOD. Emmitt had it to himself after Aikman and Irvin were gone, and how good were we? If you say it's because the talent level had dropped off, then you are making my point for me. Football is a TEAM sport. Great TEAMS win. The 2 losses to start 1993 were less about Emmitt Smith as it was about a disgruntled team, mad at Jerry Jones over it, and about the fact THAT A ROOKIE, NEVER MAKING A START BEFORE IN HIS LIFE, AND NEVER DOING ANYTHING WITH HIS FUTURE, NAMED DERRICK LASSIC was who we turned to.

Let me give you the same scenario just 3 years earlier. It was 1990. Dallas had won 4 straight. One more win and they make the playoffs. Troy Aikman went down with a shoulder separation in Philly. Emmitt was there. Irvin was there. Same offensive line was there. Know what happened? DALLAS LOST BOTH GAMES WITHOUT AIKMAN. Want to know why? Because we had a no talent guy named Babe Laufenberg trying to fill his shoes. (JUST LIKE DERRICK LASSIC)

Jones learned his lesson and always had competent backups to Aikman after that, but continued to put stiffs behind Emmitt Smith, why I'll never know.

If we had the equivilent of what the Chargers had last year, for example, with Michael Turner filling in for Emmitt do you think he couldn't have played well enough?

If Aikman's career and Emmitt's career had ended that day in 1990, I could say "The Cowboys could never win a game without Aikman."

All of that kind of talk is just silly. I can show you PLAYOFF games where Dallas won after Emmitt went down with injury in the first quarter. (At home against the Packers and the backup running back was the Penn State guy who never made it, his name escapes me at the moment.)

Was Emmitt the best all-around running back in football during his career? Without question.

Aikman was the general, and Emmitt Smith has said so. Emmitt himself credits the Cowboys greatness in the 90's to Aikman's work ethic, leadership and stellar play.

Why do we have to pit the triplets against each other? I'll never understand it.

Blair Thomas I think.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Org1;2271628 said:

luv your sig

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Didn't he hold out that year in a contract dispute for the first 2 games?

Forgive me , I'm old...............

Thomas82

Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2271994 said:
The Jets must feel so proud about that pick.:laugh2:

I thought it was ironic how he ended up being Emmitt's backup in 1994.

Org1

Reaction score
I think it may have been Barry Foster of the Steelers that he chased down in 93
I don't remember for sure

It may have been 95 that Bettis was pushing with the Rams

Org1;2271628 said:

Org1

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2271984 said:
luv your sig

yeah that one is a classic
thanks

it never gets old and it was even more entertaining when Philly was ruling the division because they can just never win it all