Why didn't the Cowboys fight back like the 49ers did?

Zordon

Reaction score
Both the Cowboys and 49ers were playing at home. Both teams were down by multiple scores.

One roared back behind timely defensive stops and a few momentum changing plays. The other went out with a whimper.

What is the source of the contrast? Is it talent? Is it intestinal fortitude?

I'll say this, Shanahan looked like you could fry an egg on his forehead at the end of the 1st half. He was visibly perturbed. I wish I could hear his halftime speech because his players, his leaders like Deebo, came out with a chip on their shoulder in the 3rd quarter. Top, down they have something that is a completely foreign concept in Dallas - football character.

Cowboys need to spend all offseason dissecting what is preventing them from fighting back when they are put in a corner like the 49ers did last night.

Last edited:

Redline360

Reaction score
The niners came out the second half with an attitude and were gonna *** win this game mentality. In no playoff game besides the bucs or the 2016 packers game have I felt the cowboys come out with that attitude and determination. Always feels like the other team gets more hyped up then us and come out of the gate swinging.

Some quarterbacks get nervous and jittery and finally settle in. Once Dak goes "deer in the headlights" look you might as well mail it in.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Both the Cowboys and 49ers were playing at home. Both teams were down by multiple score.

One roared back behind timely defensive stops and a few momentum changing plays. The other went out with a whimper.

What is the source of the contrast? Is it more about talent or intestinal fortitude?
The lights are too bright for the players on this team and before someone tries to make excuses for the offense and say they tried to make a comeback, but the defense didn't hold. The score was 48-16 with 6 minutes left in the game, at that point the Packers had taken out multiple starters on offense and defense

Zordon

Reaction score
Niners were down by 17. We were down by 27.

We have a QB who is a deer in the headlights. The team knew it. After Dak's first INT at the 20, everyone and their mom's knew the game was over. Same story ... same ending.
A lack of poise from the QB position is a big part of it. Ideally, you'd like your QB and highest paid player to be the one leading the charge of a comeback.

Cmac

Reaction score
Niners were down by 17. We were down by 27.

We have a QB who is a deer in the headlights. The team knew it. After Dak's first INT at the 20, everyone and their mom's knew the game was over. Same story ... same ending.
Niner's D shut down Lions in the second half to provide a chance......our D was still being ran through, around, and wide-open on a continuous mode or like a brothel on pay day.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The Cowboys players had already checked out mentally to the off season personal branding and social media opportunities. They wanted no part of this playoff business.

The 49ers players got caught underestimating the Lions, but since they actually want to play and win in the playoffs they were able to come back.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Both the Cowboys and 49ers were playing at home. Both teams were down by multiple scores.

What is the source of the contrast? Is it talent? Is it intestinal fortitude?

I'll say this, Shanahan looked like you could fry an egg on his forehead at the end of the 1st half. He was visibly perturbed. I wish I could hear his halftime speech because his players, his leaders like Deebo, came out with a chip on their shoulder in the 3rd quarter. Top, down they have something that is a completely foreign concept in Dallas - football character.

Cowboys need to spend all offseason dissecting what is preventing them from fighting back when they are put in a corner like the 49ers did last night.
We've seen it and heard it all season. They are front-runners. I dont know how you build that football character or that fortitude. Im guessing it starts with the leadership, or lack thereof.

The Natural

Reaction score
Outside of LB it's more about mental makeup than talent. We're just a soft, front running team. QB always has the deer in the headlights look when faced with adversity in a big game, and if the defense isn't playing with a lead they fold. You'll notice Brandon Aiyuk and DeeBo were not pouting when they were down, Shanahan didn't have to walk over and console anyone in Q1 of a playoff game. Down 3 scores Bosa wasn't sulking, Warner and Greenlaw were still flying around, walking with a swagger after making hits. They're everything we wish this team was.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Dan needs to learn to kick FGs. That game was on him and the WRs. Goff was throwing dimes all over the field and those guys couldn't catch a cold.

Why didn't Dallas come back? Same reason they were getting the butts kicked. Can't stop the run and the QB is a choke artist.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
A lack of poise from the QB position is a big part of it. Ideally, you'd like your QB and highest paid player to be the one leading the charge of a comeback.
This X 1,000,000,000

The Niners believed in their QB/Captain and played accordingly

Our guys clearly did not

That's why they thought they could still win and we folded. So sick of hearing about daks over hyped "leadership" cred. What a joke. There's maybe 5 guys in that locker room that truly trust him. Everyone else knew it was over the minute he threw that pick 6.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I started harping on the team's seemingly lack of grit after the Arizona debacle. To win, your team (really your franchise from top-to-bottom) must have it. San Francisco had it this season and for several years. Likewise with Kansas City.

Dallas does not have it. Dallas has tried-and-failed to attain it for nearly 30 years. Pizzazz and smack talk does not attain it. Intelligence and true inner drive wields it.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We are soft. We get punched in the mouth and then we fold. I don't even know if we come back in a game like this even with Campbell's questionable moves. I knew the game was over after the first drive. You could see it in their eyes especially Dak's..

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
This X 1,000,000,000

The Niners believed in their QB/Captain and played accordingly

Our guys clearly did not

That's why they thought they could still win and we folded. So sick of hearing about daks over hyped "leadership" cred. What a joke. There's maybe 5 guys in that locker room that truly trust him. Everyone else knew it was over the minute he threw that pick 6.
I think CeeDee knew it before the game even started.