Why do analysts discussing our playoff chances THIS year make reference...

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
All it actually does is say we're more than really due. Which is most likely what these punks will say once we actually do push through this drought. It won't have anything to do with this current team, they'll just say, "we were really due and the odds and forthcoming luck were just apparently on our side."

We just can't win with some of these people in the media and it's just the way it is. So be ready, even if we do win it all.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Givincer;2525351 said:
Want to talk about this year, last year, and the year before that? Go ahead. They're actually relevant to the discussion. That's my take.

We didn't win a playoff game in any of those years either, so what's the difference?

Givincer

Reaction score
TheCount;2525520 said:
We didn't win a playoff game in any of those years either, so what's the difference?

The difference is the past 3 years is relevant to discussing this team's chances this year. The 9 years before that are not.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Dale Earnhardt once said "The booing and haters, that doesn't bother me. When it's total silence in the stands, then your in trouble". Meaning that no one is paying attention to you anymore...............
Stuff like this, doesn't bug me. There's no gray area when it comes to the Dallas Cowboys. Or the Yankees. Or Jeff Gordon. The Celtics, the Lakers.
Dominant and lasting quality and winning more championships does that. You either love 'em to death or hate 'em from hell. One or the other.
There's no "there" there when the Cardinals or Seattle or Cleveland or Atanta don't win a playoff game for 13 years, because it's expected. And, nobody outside of their city limits gives a crap.
People who've had to sit there on a January Sunday and eat crow every time Dallas won a NFC Championship game or a SB, they've been waiting all their lives for days like this. They'll soon be eating crow again, just a matter of time.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I stop watching sportscenter and NFL live for this very reason. I don't waste my time on Cowboy bashers. Look at the game with equal perspective like you are paid to do. If the Cowboys lose, the say "this team is disfunctional." If any other team loses they say "this team is close to getting over the hump and is starting to come together...." I only turn it on ESPN long enough to see the bottom line and catch up on scores.

30yrheel

Reaction score
there's a difference between the cowboys, the self-proclaimed america's team, and the rest of the nfl. people, including the media, either love or hate the boys. you can't whine about it.
if we win and go to the super bowl, the media will be right back on our jocks.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
jackrussell;2524544 said:
It does matter...there is a pattern.

Though players and coaches change, there is one constant, one common denominator.

True, but that common denominator was also present for four consecutive NFC Championship games, and three Super Bowl Championships over that four year span. Why don't those so-called experts talk about that as well?????? It's just as pertinent to the subject as the playoff drought.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
30yrheel;2526932 said:
there's a difference between the cowboys, the self-proclaimed america's team, and the rest of the nfl. people, including the media, either love or hate the boys. you can't whine about it.
if we win and go to the super bowl, the media will be right back on our jocks.

Actually, the term that offends so many, "America's Team", was coined by someone outside of the Cowboys. It was Howard Cosell or Pat Summeral or someone like that if I remember correctly.
Tex Schramm, Tom Landry, etc................however DID NOTHING to play it down or dismiss it, so yeah, the Cowboys are "guilty by omission" by doing nothing to squelch the term.
But screw 'em all anyway, because Dallas IS INDEED America's team, and I'm glad that the term makes all the hater's skin crawl.
Ever notice, like after the Packers won the SB with Favre, or when the Saints went to the playoffs a couple years ago...............the first thing you hear is "The new America's Team". Every time I hear that, and every team they say that about is automatically on my "hate" list from then on out. It's a gimmick that the hater's use to reverse the "skin crawling" back onto Cowboy fans. They tried it with the Patriots a couple times also, but it never stuck.

cowboyz

Reaction score
the most important part

jimmy picked the cowboys :bang2:

but maybe he's using a bookie now :laugh1:

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Star4Ever;2526934 said:
True, but that common denominator was also present for four consecutive NFC Championship games, and three Super Bowl Championships over that four year span. Why don't those so-called experts talk about that as well?????? It's just as pertinent to the subject as the playoff drought.

I totally agree. I referenced this only in a fan context HERE:

the same people who clamor that their expectations are high for this team BECAUSE of their spoiled history of winning, want to deflect history when it becomes a negative benchmark.

To me, both media and fans use history as a convenience. While 'experts' ignore the facts of previous success, fans want to ignore the facts of previous failure.

Niether are correct without using the full context...

tunahelper said:
True, however I would rather have an interested owner willing to spend than ownership squezzing nickels. Also, there is a sense of entitlement amongst fans that Dallas is owed Championships and when something goes wrong then ownership is directing the ship incorrectly.

Fact of the matter is Superbowls are rare and ownership has placed the team into position to win. It may take a year or two to win the Superbowl and would that make the owner a genius then? Yes, the media would celebrate JJ as GM of the year and hype him up and reality nothing has changed it just took time for things to gel.

I do not disagree with any of this. I really can't think of anyone else I'd rather have as an owner. That doesn't mean I think he is infallabable. Bringing in the coaches and players he has in the last 12 years, more to the point, the last couple, may or may not prove to be correct. Just because he spent the money doesn't mean it was spent correctly. On paper he has one of the most talented teams in the league...so while long on talent they could also be short on cohesiveness.

Personally, I'm just not taken aback by the negative press. I believe JJ has pretty much opened the door to alot of the scrutiny. And you have to admit, alot of things that people take as an 'attack' in reality is someone telling it like it is.

I keep hearing all this stuff about 'today's NFL'....well, 'today's press' comes with it. While 'today's fan' seek instant gratification, and 'today's athlete' seek fame and undieing accolades, 'today's press' tries to fill the bill of all, and sometimes in a not so professional way.