Why do fellow fans root against our team?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Is it trendy or something? It baffles me. I see it all the time and just can't comprehend the mindset.

Someone will predict that we'll lose or just simply root against a win because they hate someone or something that comprises our Cowboys.

Then ....

When we win, said "fan" disappears. Straight milk carton. :rolleyes:

I just don't get it.

When I die, my coffin will be lined with half full glasses of that special Cowboys sauce.
they would rather lose and be right than win and be wrong

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Is it trendy or something? It baffles me. I see it all the time and just can't comprehend the mindset.

Someone will predict that we'll lose or just simply root against a win because they hate someone or something that comprises our Cowboys.

Well lets just make it clear there is a difference predicting we will lose and rooting against the team. not that I did it against the Eagles. But sometimes you have a team like the Saints, and then given how inconsistently we have played during the season, it might be just the realist in some people that would predict a loss there. Someone who predicts we win every game no matter our record and the opposing team's record would just be a homer.

Htown-Cowboy

Reaction score

Then ....

I just don't get it.

When I die, my coffin will be lined with half full glasses of that special Cowboys sauce.

IT BOGGLES THE MIND!
giphy.gif

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score

Then ....

I just don't get it.

What about the ones that want to throw away next season for a chance (not even a guarantee) at Tua in 2020. Those are the worst to me.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I get some of the negativity during a game when a guy misses a block, drops a pass, misses a tackle, throws a bad pass or fumbles. But after the game, when everyone has pulled together and left their guts on the field to win a game, I just don’t get why some fans must fill every thread with doom and gloom and hate. You have allfreakin week andduring the game. Why can’t you enjoy the aftermath of a victory the way the players do.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I generally predict us to win...like today.
If I think the odds are we will lose, I usually dont predict at all.:grin:

basilhayden

Reaction score

Then ....

I just don't get it.

Yes, being 8-8 for a decade may be the dream of some fans,
but many of us will take a tanking or 2 to shake up the staff and start over with new hope for a SB.

I'm glad you cleared up what makes a real fan.
I'll reflect in meditation...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody roots against the Cowboys in here Bleu. But everybody in here roots for an end to mediocracy.

We get a franchise QB and the defense sucks.
We get great defense, running game and elite wide receiver and our QB is suspect.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to fix what doesn't work and it doesn't diminish us as fans for wanting to do so.

We had many fans actively rooting to lose early in the season because they were convinced this team was going nowhere and had fooled themselves somehow that rooting for the Eagles was actually a convoluted way of rooting for the Cowboys.

It wasn’t, though, and now that the Eagles’ season is effectively done and we’ve likely won the East, it’s just really embarrassing for them to have put themselves in that situation.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Yes, being 8-8 for a decade may be the dream of some fans,
but many of us will take a tanking or 2 to shake up the staff and start over with new hope for a SB.

I'm glad you cleared up what makes a real fan.
I'll reflect in meditation...
Yes. Let me know how that works out for you. If it doesn't work so well. I know a lady that uses a glass half full of some special positivity oil that'll fix you right up.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I am a cowboy fan through and through but enjoy watching all NFL football. I had watched the Saints for most of their games earlier this year, it was a no brainier for me to consider them a better team. I still wanted the boys to win but understood the talent that the Saints possessed were a difficult challenge to a team that was offensively handicapped like the cowboys were in the first half of the season.
I have failed to realize how good this defense had become, I thought Byron Jones was doing well because Awuzie was a easier target for opposing teams(he is compared to BJones) and the fact I have never seen a player turn all pro(not pro bowl) overnight like Jones with a position switch. Remember this one lads for it is truly amazing what we are witnessing.
Brown IMO was just a guy and LVE was still soaking up knowledge like most rookies while trying to reconcile the game at 100 mph.
Maybe I am like some of you, it took me a time to realize this is a defensive team not a offensive one. In years past we discussed how the offensive scheme provided a 12th man for the defense because of our time grinding ability. The defense probably stayed off the field maybe an average of one additional series when we were churning properly. That meant less injures more energy at the end of the game to impose our will. That scheme has flown the coup, we are in dire straits these days with the Oline and TE's and shows with our point margins being so slim each week.
This all played into my decision to pick the Saints, maybe some of you have better intuition than me and less history to shadow your gut feelings.

Flamma

Reaction score
I predicted them to lose in the "just for fun" thread because they always win when I do. They lose when I predict them to win. Even in my pool at work every week I pick them to lose. I am not changing that trend! I don't care what I lose.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I predicted them to lose in the "just for fun" thread because they always win when I do. They lose when I predict them to win. Even in my pool at work every week I pick them to lose. I am not changing that trend! I don't care what I lose.
You keep doing that and I'll keep predicting wins. It seems to be working. :D

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I never root against them....at all................in the prediction thread however I started the year predicting a W every week until I started my tirade against Garrett/Linehan............since that time, I have been predicting a loss..........which, ironically, is the exact week our winning streak began, so since then, every week I have predicted a L and we keep winning, so I will continue that trend until the winning streak ends.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
How is this different then any other team, any other sport? Let me help here, it's not. We are no different, at all. Happens with every team, every sport.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's the desire to be right. People have expressed opinions and value being able to say they were right over the team winning.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I've been doing the exact same thing. I predict blowout losses.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
To be fair, most of the rooting to lose was when we were 3-5 and fans wanted the wheels to come off so Garrett would be fired.

I dont remember seeing any posts before the game today hoping that we would lose.
Bingo. I don't know anyone who's rooting for them to lose now.