Why do people keep insisting on calling Zeke fat?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
were you agreeing with me, i cant tell..lol
LOL....I think that I'm not.

We have a history of our #2 looking ridiculously bedazzled. Some were in neighborhood of 7 ypc.

Until they assumed the #1 and then fizzled or flaked. Pollard.....SEEMS...to fit right in that mold...in both flash and build. He just doesn't seem the kind of back...in collage AND NFL...to take the #1 pounding. Dual #1 RB's? I dunno..I haven't seen that system here ever. FB maybe, not RBs.

If we don't build the o-line back....you better be careful putting flash at #1 rb. You and me will be starting at QB at this rate.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting he didn't change, it's fairly obvious to assume any player would not be the same as 5 years ago against college caliber players like this "nail in the coffin" attempt of a video of his Ohio days. It makes no sense and it's not even a point to debate that he should be the same.

First of all the assertion that his rookie season was his best must be challenged. I would argue that his third year was at least as good because even though he rushed for 197 fewer yards he replaced that with more than 204 more receiving yards, establishing himself as a more complete back. He scored more TDs his rookie year because the coaches had the good sense to feed him in the red zone .. After that year they have inexplicably decided that shifting into 5 wide empty backfield is the preferred formation in the red zone. I have no explanation as to how they arrived at that conclusion but I have broken three TVs throwing stuff at them when they shift into that crap especially in tight games.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
First of all the assertion that his rookie season was his best must be challenged. I would argue that his third year was at least as good because even though he rushed for 197 fewer yards he replaced that with more than 204 more receiving yards, establishing himself as a more complete back. He scored more TDs his rookie year because the coaches had the good sense to feed him in the red zone .. After that year they have inexplicably decided that shifting into 5 wide empty backfield is the preferred formation in the red zone. I have no explanation as to how they arrived at that conclusion but I have broken three TVs throwing stuff at them when they shift into that crap especially in tight games.
What, you mean you don't like running out of the shotgun or a direct snap to the RB?
:laugh:

kskboys

Reaction score
That's a ridiculous look for a woman, much less a man. "Penny for a gumball, Mickey!"
For Bog's sake, does he not have any friends? Does he not have anyone around him strong enough to tell him that he looks like a complete idiot crossed w/ a moron w/ that do? It's horrific.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What, you mean you don't like running out of the shotgun or a direct snap to the RB?
:laugh:

Man the shotgun draw has been the bane of my existence since Garrett first trotted it out with Marion Barber and Felix Jones. At least back then it was just one aspect of our rushing attack instead of being pretty much all of it as it is now. As I've said many times.. Zeke is absolutely the wrong back to be deployed in that fashion. Pollard looks better running those plays because he is smaller, shiftier and quicker. The problem is that when defenses clamp down and crowd the line of scrimmage he can't push the pile or break tackles the way Zeke can.. People will always see the change of pace back come in with fresh legs and get excited .."Why don't we start him?" It goes back to Michael Wiley, Sherman Williams and Troy Hambrick behind Emmitt. "The other guy" is always the darling. What people fail to realize is that when the guy who actually scares the defense and who they spent 99% of their film study during the week watching and talking about leaves the game the defense exhales.. They may not even remember what the coach said in the 5 minutes they spent on the second guy ..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Man the shotgun draw has been the bane of my existence since Garrett first trotted it out with Marion Barber and Felix Jones. At least back then it was just one aspect of our rushing attack instead of being pretty much all of it as it is now. As I've said many times.. Zeke is absolutely the wrong back to be deployed in that fashion. Pollard looks better running those plays because he is smaller, shiftier and quicker. The problem is that when defenses clamp down and crowd the line of scrimmage he can't push the pile or break tackles the way Zeke can.. People will always see the change of pace back come in with fresh legs and get excited .."Why don't we start him?" It goes back to Michael Wiley, Sherman Williams and Troy Hambrick behind Emmitt. "The other guy" is always the darling. What people fail to realize is that when the guy who actually scares the defense and who they spent 99% of their film study during the week watching and talking about leaves the game the defense exhales.. They may not even remember what the coach said in the 5 minutes they spent on the second guy ..
With Prescott out, is there really a significant threat for the existing QB to beat the defense? I mean, they can stack the line, stop the run now because anyone we have isn't going to beat them. That's one of the reasons we saw different looks when Prescott was playing, like putting Woods in as FB, because it added an additional threat to Prescott running or passing. Or giving it to Elliott. And while I do like Pollard for a change of pace and to relieve Elliott, he's not an every down RB. And there is just no way he's holding up to the mileage.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

. Best season was his rookie year. Most yards, most YPC, and most TDs. They didn't use him as receiver in 2016 b/c Dak barely knew the playbook.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Prescott out, is there really a significant threat for the existing QB to beat the defense? I mean, they can stack the line, stop the run now because anyone we have isn't going to beat them. That's one of the reasons we saw different looks when Prescott was playing, like putting Woods in as FB, because it added an additional threat to Prescott running or passing. Or giving it to Elliott. And while I do like Pollard for a change of pace and to relieve Elliott, he's not an every down RB. And there is just no way he's holding up to the mileage.

He didn't break 100 yards even in the 4 full games he played with Dak. So, oops, there goes that dumb argument.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He didn't break 100 yards even in the 4 full games he played with Dak. So, oops, there goes that dumb argument.
96, 89 and 91. Feel free to nitpick a couple yards. "Breaking 100 yards" wasn't the point you missed. His average YPC were also higher, more receptions and EVERY single TD was when Prescott started.
The point was that our remaining QBs aren't taking any attention off of our RBs.

Still top 10 in yards and TDs.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
96, 89 and 91. Feel free to nitpick a couple yards. "Breaking 100 yards" wasn't the point you missed. His average YPC were also higher, more receptions and EVERY single TD was when Prescott started.
The point was that our remaining QBs aren't taking any attention off of our RBs.

Still top 10 in yards and TDs.

LMAO.. yeah who cares about some arbitrary milestone? After all ask any Dak hater and they will tell you that stats don't mean anything anyway. The fact that Zeke produced like he was in games where we had been forced to pretty much abandon the running game for long stretches is a minor miracle. I have been more than satisfied with how Zeke has run this year given the reduced opportunities and the crappy line play in front of him to say nothing of the brain dead playcalling in the run game. He has been fighting and dragging tacklers every time he gets it. And he has had to.. because the line is not blowing open any big holes these days.. More like 6 inch creases here and there. The only issue I have had was the fumbles and he seems to have gotten that solved. Of course I just jinxed him now.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
You can argue that he isn't fat all you want but there is no denying that dude is a JAG.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
. Best season was his rookie year. Most yards, most YPC, and most TDs. They didn't use him as receiver in 2016 b/c Dak barely knew the playbook.

Yeah I'm sure "the dump the ball off the running back" play is waaaaaaaay back in the back pages of the playbook and they didn't get around to teaching it to Dak until year three. GTFOH.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Didn't have a LOT of receptions in 2016...but when he did, we was bailing Dak out. ("Dak barely knew the playbook")

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
LMAO.. yeah who cares about some arbitrary milestone? After all ask any Dak hater and they will tell you that stats don't mean anything anyway. The fact that Zeke produced like he was in games where we had been forced to pretty much abandon the running game for long stretches is a minor miracle. I have been more than satisfied with how Zeke has run this year given the reduced opportunities and the crappy line play in front of him to say nothing of the brain dead playcalling in the run game. He has been fighting and dragging tacklers every time he gets it. And he has had to.. because the line is not blowing open any big holes these days.. More like 6 inch creases here and there. The only issue I have had was the fumbles and he seems to have gotten that solved. Of course I just jinxed him now.
Same here. The fumbles were an issue. And I'm not going to rant and rave about ONE crappy p[*** block he got beat on or ONE running play the commentator pointed out he suggested he ran threw the wrong hole.
The play calling surprises me. They gain momentum running, which in turn gets the defense winded, and then they would stop and throw in a reverse or wildcat play.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Same here. The fumbles were an issue. And I'm not going to rant and rave about ONE crappy p[*** block he got beat on or ONE running play the commentator pointed out he suggested he ran threw the wrong hole.
The play calling surprises me. They gain momentum running, which in turn gets the defense winded, and then they would stop and throw in a reverse or wildcat play.

The thing about that play was Collinsworth was actually wrong. WHen they showed the replay from field level there was big pileup squarely in the the middle where Collinsworth claimed the play was designed to go. That's probably why they quickly moved off of that replay. Collinsworth called it run middle yet the Cowboys were in unbalanced left which is where Zeke ran. Yes the line action was back to the right but the reason for that is to create isolation on the backside edge defender. The back is supposed to cut off of that isolation block. The unbalance had created exactly the matchup the Cowboys wanted which was Noah Brown against the safe who had come up to basically an OLB position on the edge. Brown misses the block and that guy makes the tackle for a short gain.. If Brown just gets in the way Zeke has a clear path to the edge and is one on one with the corner who was the only other defender in the picture. Everyone else had followed the line action and were being ridden out of the play. Not saying Zeke hasn't missed holes.. Every back who ever carried a football has. But commentators have no way of knowing where a play was actually designed to go and as such they should always stay away from making declarations about a guy running through the wrong hole or running the wrong route etc. If the want to say a hole opened up away from where the runner went that's fair.. but to call it "running the wrong hole" is irresponsible. Hell Barry Sanders ran the wrong hole on about 90% of his career carries.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The thing about that play was Collinsworth was actually wrong. WHen they showed the replay from field level there was big pileup squarely in the the middle where Collinsworth claimed the play was designed to go. That's probably why they quickly moved off of that replay. Collinsworth called it run middle yet the Cowboys were in unbalanced left which is where Zeke ran. Yes the line action was back to the right but the reason for that is to create isolation on the backside edge defender. The back is supposed to cut off of that isolation block. The unbalance had created exactly the matchup the Cowboys wanted which was Noah Brown against the safe who had come up to basically an OLB position on the edge. Brown misses the block and that guy makes the tackle for a short gain.. If Brown just gets in the way Zeke has a clear path to the edge and is one on one with the corner who was the only other defender in the picture. Everyone else had followed the line action and were being ridden out of the play. Not saying Zeke hasn't missed holes.. Every back who ever carried a football has. But commentators have no way of knowing where a play was actually designed to go and as such they should always stay away from making declarations about a guy running through the wrong hole or running the wrong route etc. If the want to say a hole opened up away from where the runner went that's fair.. but to call it "running the wrong hole" is irresponsible. Hell Barry Sanders ran the wrong hole on about 90% of his career carries.
It's just interesting how many latched onto that one play as a way to criticize.