Why do we suck so bad in free agency?

kskboys

Reaction score
Drafting is all fine and dandy, we don’t even do that well....

But we are flat out terrible in free agency...get cheap scrubs of whom many don’t even make the team or get cut after a few games
1. We are absolutely terrible in player evaluations.
2. We have a very poor blueprint as to what we are.

stiletto

Reaction score
Spending big in FA is not the way to build a team. You build through the draft. I am actually happy with how they dont go overboard in FA.

Gotta do it right. I'd rather have just ONE guy for larger money (I know Brandon Carr sucked but I'd take another chance in the secondary) than 5-6 other bums like we got this past season. Draft is #1 way to go but if you bring in a can't miss guy on Defense, veteran leader I won't be disappointed.

I am pretty sure KC is happy with Mathieu. How many times did we pass on him? In the Draft and FA. Sickening. I guess the FO is just going to screw up FA no matter what so might as well not sign anyone. LOL

Also, draft can be laughable. Hill over Thornhill (3 of the top 4 safeties in that draft fell to us and they took that loser).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Gotta do it right. I'd rather have just ONE guy for larger money (I know Brandon Carr sucked but I'd take another chance in the secondary) than 5-6 other bums like we got this past season. Draft is #1 way to go but if you bring in a can't miss guy on Defense, veteran leader I won't be disappointed.

I am pretty sure KC is happy with Mathieu. How many times did we pass on him? In the Draft and FA. Sickening. I guess the FO is just going to screw up FA no matter what so might as well not sign anyone. LOL

Also, draft can be laughable. Hill over Thornhill (3 of the top 4 safeties in that draft fell to us and they took that loser).

Yah, I could go for that, but has to be right. McCoy was the big FA pickup and he went down. I have no problem with those kind of pickups. And even though none of them worked out, none of them killed us either or are going to hurt us going forward. The HUGE mistakes Jerry makes is in resigning his own guys. Overpays, caves, and resigns the wrong guys some of the time.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Despite what some claim on here so often, it certainly appeared that this front office was trying to bring in some much needed help. It just didnt work out too well this year
Right. And nobody would ever admit it on this site lol....but people LOVED this offseason...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

-Hill over Thornhill and Rapp
-Taco over TJ Watt
-Zeke over Ramsey

OUCH!!!! OUR defense would look much different at the moment with those 3 moves alone.

stiletto

Reaction score
-Hill over Thornhill and Rapp
-Taco over TJ Watt
-Zeke over Ramsey

OUCH!!!! OUR defense would look much different at the moment with those 3 moves alone.

LOL -- when you screw up the first pick that bad that many times in a given number of years; time to change SOMETHING. You just have to. You have to start coming to one conclusion and just go with the opposite, they'd probably do better.

kskboys

Reaction score

Yup. DJ Reader over everyone we signed in FA, and he would've absolutely transformed our D.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Right. And nobody would ever admit it on this site lol....but people LOVED this offseason...

Why would no one admit it? This was the best offseason in 15 years.

-Garrett and Marinelli fired and replaced with a REAL HC in MM
-Moore retained
-NAILED THE DRAFT!!!!
-Love the McCoy pickup in FA
-FA didnt work out with McCoy getting hurt, but what I did like was the new coaching staff understood most where we needed help. Needed bigger DT's, brought in a safety, ect.....ect....

Like the idea, just injuries and other veterans didnt work out.

kskboys

Reaction score

If McC was already here, we'd have taken a S w/ that pick.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
LOL -- when you screw up the first pick that bad that many times in a given number of years; time to change SOMETHING. You just have to. You have to start coming to one conclusion and just go with the opposite, they'd probably do better.

EVERY single one of those 3 picks right there can be attributed to Marinelli and Garrett's influence. And then Jones taking their advice. Comedy of errors.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why would no one admit it? This was the best offseason in 15 years.

-Garrett and Marinelli fired and replaced with a REAL HC in MM
-Moore retained
-NAILED THE DRAFT!!!!
-Love the McCoy pickup in FA
-FA didnt work out with McCoy getting hurt, but what I did like was the new coaching staff understood most where we needed help. Needed bigger DT's, brought in a safety, ect.....ect....

Like the idea, just injuries and other veterans didnt work out.

I'm speaking on the free agents...they literally cut every single one of them before the season had even ended except Greg the Leg. I mean look at this thread...its full of how we poorly we manage free agency...that's not the entire story.

cowboygo

Reaction score
1. We are absolutely terrible in player evaluations.
2. We have a very poor blueprint as to what we are.
This. Its easy to hit on 1st round talent RB, OG, LB because it is safe.

We had Byron Jones make an All-Pro, but had him playing safety early in his career.

Our blueprint for 2nd round seemed like it was trying to hit the pick out of the park with ambitious decisions of going for injury prone/issue guys.

I really think the blueprint is to "outsmart" the league. And they get too cute doing that.

We traded a 1st for Amari, and also spent a 1st on Lamb. He's a good player, but how come the Colts sent a 1st for Deforest Buckner? They have a plan, even with a QB cap hit of 46M.

Our drafts being good is a misconception.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Lamb, Diggs, Romo, Witten, Tyron, Martin....we have been pretty decent at drafting.
Although Taco over Watt still hurts.
Witten was almost 20 years ago and Romo was never drafted. Offensive drafting overall has been great but defensive has been terrible (D-law is really the only defensive franchise player we've kept in the last 10 years of drafting)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm speaking on the free agents...they literally cut every single one of them before the season had even ended except Greg the Leg. I mean look at this thread...its full of how we poorly we manage free agency...that's not the entire story.

Safety was a flop and so was Poe. I liked McCoy, but he got hurt. McCoy was the biggest FA pickup and it got washed by injury. Not sure that has anything to do with being bad in FA. Poorly managing FA to me is spending huge money on bad contracts that dont work out.

And lets not forget that Aldon Smith was a success. They resigned Gregory and that worked out real nice.

It does get tiring that they never sign anyone of consequence, no doubt.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This. Its easy to hit on 1st round talent RB, OG, LB because it is safe.

We had Byron Jones make an All-Pro, but had him playing safety early in his career.

Our blueprint for 2nd round seemed like it was trying to hit the pick out of the park with ambitious decisions of going for injury prone/issue guys.

I really think the blueprint is to "outsmart" the league. And they get too cute doing that.

We traded a 1st for Amari, and also spent a 1st on Lamb. He's a good player, but how come the Colts sent a 1st for Deforest Buckner? They have a plan, even with a QB cap hit of 46M.

Our drafts being good is a misconception.
THat's not entirely true. Its not "easy" to hit on RB, OG and LB...teams miss on them every year....

JayFord

Reaction score
They believe too much in the guys they already have

im not saying go wild in Free Agency........but they absolutely have to get one of these good safeties in Free agency.....

and you absolutely have to bring in at least 1 DT that has shown he can be a force in stopping the run

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Witten was almost 20 years ago and Romo was never drafted. Offensive drafting overall has been great but defensive has been terrible (D-law is really the only defensive franchise player we've kept in the last 10 years of drafting)

I mean when you don't invest 1st rounders this is what you get. You get 2nd and 3rd round talent. Anthony Hitchens was a good 4th round pick. If Jaylon and LVE can get back to where they were a few years ago I'd say those were solid. I'd say Gregory. Ultimately you need to use 1st rounders on this defense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
One reason we haven’t had success in free agency is we go after low to mid tier free agents who are either no good or washed up. The best chance of hitting on a free agent is going after a top-tier free agent who’s playing at the top of their game. Problem is they get a lot of guaranteed money and some choose to shut it down once they get paid. A lot of these players play for big contracts. You build great teams through the draft not free agency. Free agency is designed to supplement your team but it’s very costly if you go after top tier free agents.