Why do we suck so bad in free agency?

Roland

Reaction score
Right. And nobody would ever admit it on this site lol....but people LOVED this offseason...
I thought we did excellent, thought we had really tried to shore up some weaknesses. I think McCoy and Poe were going to make an impact/difference and I though HaHa was a good pick up. Then McCoy goes down, Poe disaster and HaHa coulnd't even make the team. Talk about swing and a miss. But at least they did try.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I thought we did excellent, thought we had really tried to shore up some weaknesses. I think McCoy and Poe were going to make an impact/difference and I though HaHa was a good pick up. Then McCoy goes down, Poe disaster and HaHa coulnd't even make the team. Talk about swing and a miss. But at least they did try.
Yeah Poe and Haha are the wrong free agents to go after moving forward. I still have a hard time believing Haha couldn't even be a backup here that was rather odd....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I actually think the Cowboys do a great job now with the cap. They just do stupid things like resign a RB for 15 million.
As of right now you'd have to scratch your head on Zeke, Jaylon and La'El deals...maybe even Lawrence. But ti seems Zeke and Jaylon are friendly to get from under.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There are few, Trent Richardson for example, where all the signs point toward success but it doesn't happen. Oddly, the best I can figure out is that he was simply too wide. Big RB's must have an ability to "get skinny" to get through the holes. No RB is going to make a living for long plowing people over.
Man....the 1st round hasn't been kind to any of these running backs...I guess so far so good on McCaffery but man Barkley, Fournette, Gordon, Gurley, Richardson....sheesh......

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think investment is an issue more so just bad picks. Just in the last 5 years you have 3 first rounder on defense (Byron, Taco, and LVE) and Diggs wouldn't of been a reach at #17 in this last draft and they still got him in the 2nd.

All 3 of there recent 1st round defensive picks are either not on the team or never on the field and there top defensive pick in 18 was a project instead of a day 1 starter. That's a difference of 4 starters on todays roster which is hard to over-come (investment has been okay just bad picks)
You just made my point for me though lol....they rarely have done it and when why have they came out with Byron, LVE....and we all know Diggs was on their board at 17 had Lamb not been there.....how do you get premiere defensive talent if you don't draft premiere defensive talent?

Roland

Reaction score
Yeah Poe and Haha are the wrong free agents to go after moving forward. I still have a hard time believing Haha couldn't even be a backup here that was rather odd....
Right, I mean, how bad must he have been to not even take a back up position, when I felt he would probably take a starter spot or atleast a back up. Makes you wonder. Still not sure what happened there. Was he that bad, our guys that good (which I doubt) or was it some other outside factor. Either way, I dont fault them for trying, but the results of that effort was very disappointing

Tussinman

Reaction score
You just made my point for me though lol....they rarely have done it and when why have they came out with Byron, LVE....and we all know Diggs was on their board at 17 had Lamb not been there.....how do you get premiere defensive talent if you don't draft premiere defensive talent?
I read the original quote as "they never attempt to invest in 1st round defensive talent so what did they think was going to happen, you need 1st round picks on defense".

They've invested on defense it just hasn't hit for a variety of reasons

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Teams don’t let go of their best players but they can’t afford to keep everyone. The best of the players they can’t afford to keep are top-tier free agents. Byron Jones was one of our best players but he became a top-tier free agent because we couldn’t afford to keep him. Teams sometimes get up against the cap and have no choice but to let one of their best players go. Losing Byron Jones helped destroy our secondary in 2020. A lot of teams usually spend their free agency money on signing their own free agents. Our biggest free agent signing will be Dak assuming we get him signed.

That's my point though....teams don't let go of top tie free agents. The Brandon Carr's and Byron Jones's of the world are top tie free agents and that's where you screw your team up investing that type of money in guys who aren't worth it.

Losing Byron didn't hurt our defense it was going to Nolan that hurt it. Mind you the defense was bad with Byron too lol.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's my point though....teams don't let go of top tie free agents. The Brandon Carr's and Byron Jones's of the world are top tie free agents and that's where you screw your team up investing that type of money in guys who aren't worth it.

Losing Byron didn't hurt our defense it was going to Nolan that hurt it. Mind you the defense was bad with Byron too lol.

My point is they don’t let go of top-tier players on their team. The best players they let go become top-tier free agents. However Byron Jones was one of our top tier players who became a free agent. Any player who’s one of the top free agents available is a top-tier free agent. Most teams are choosing to sign their own free agents. Had we not re-signed DLaw he would’ve became a top-tier free agent. We screwed our secondary up by losing Byron Jones who appeared to have a solid season for Miami. Nolan didn’t screw our defense up it was already screwed up when he arrived. The scheme change certainly made things worse but we don’t have good players. We’ve gone through a string of DCs to no avail. Our D will continue to struggle until we get better players.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FA's are the trickiest part of the business remember the "Dream Team"? Couldn't miss and many had PHL in the SB.

First challenge in FA is why is his team not keeping him? If it's cap related, they've decided he's one of the expendable's, why?

Next challenge is that I want him because of what he did for them, can he do that for me? Do I have what's necessary for him to even be as good as he was there? Am I placing too much dependency on him to solve my problem.

Same should be applied to the draft. They picked Ware and Spears in the 1st round. Ware was Troy's defense and Spears wasn't even the best player on his defense. Same goes for Charleton.

It's always the same about this game. It's not one big thing; it's many little things.

Valkyr

Reaction score
stephen-in-his-offce-1200x800.jpg
I'll bet he thinks he earned all that, too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Right, I mean, how bad must he have been to not even take a back up position, when I felt he would probably take a starter spot or atleast a back up. Makes you wonder. Still not sure what happened there. Was he that bad, our guys that good (which I doubt) or was it some other outside factor. Either way, I dont fault them for trying, but the results of that effort was very disappointing
I remember reports from camp said he was struggling some but none to the point of where they thought he'd be cut.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I read the original quote as "they never attempt to invest in 1st round defensive talent so what did they think was going to happen, you need 1st round picks on defense".

They've invested on defense it just hasn't hit for a variety of reasons
You think in the past 7 or 8 years they've invested in enough 1st round defensive talent? I'm jut confused...so is the objective to hope and pray that all 2nd or 3rd round picks end up being 1st round talents? Praying and hoping for that is going to have you lacking in talent.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
My point is they don’t let go of top-tier players on their team. The best players they let go become top-tier free agents. However Byron Jones was one of our top tier players who became a free agent. Any player who’s one of the top free agents available is a top-tier free agent. Most teams are choosing to sign their own free agents. Had we not re-signed DLaw he would’ve became a top-tier free agent. We screwed our secondary up by losing Byron Jones who appeared to have a solid season for Miami. Nolan didn’t screw our defense up it was already screwed up when he arrived. The scheme change certainly made things worse but we don’t have good players. We’ve gone through a string of DCs to no avail. Our D will continue to struggle until we get better players.

Our defense was bad because it didn't generate turnovers. Byron was a big part of that because he didn't generate turnovers. It wasn't historically bad though. Not like this unit. This defense needs a Aaron Donald on it. A TJ Watt....not a Brandon Carr or a Byron Jones IMO.

kskboys

Reaction score
Our defense was bad because it didn't generate turnovers. Byron was a big part of that because he didn't generate turnovers. It wasn't historically bad though. Not like this unit. This defense needs a Aaron Donald on it. A TJ Watt....not a Brandon Carr or a Byron Jones IMO.
Agree.

I like Jones, but he was in no way worth what we'd have had to pay him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL...Gotta love nepotism. Makes people feel "worthy" of where they are sitting even if they are far from it, been that way all through history.
The nepotism label is appropriate for the DNA kids but does not apply to Jerry Jones' 31-year (and counting) death grip on the general manager position. That is simply narcissism.