Why do you think RG3's career crashed?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Injuries. He had no business playing at the end of 2012 but Washington didn't care. Played him into the ground literally. His game was based on him being elusive and athletic. Once that was one because of the surgeries, he was never the same after.
yes and that was on shanahan and synder too.
they should have made rg slide, and if he didnt slide every time. bench him for a game.
but they just let him run wild, he got the leg whip knee injury, and then instead of being out for the season , let him come back and play
that was irresponsible.
after that he was never the same.

kskboys

Reaction score
yes and that was on shanahan and synder too.
they should have made rg slide, and if he didnt slide every time. bench him for a game.
but they just let him run wild, he got the leg whip knee injury, and then instead of being out for the season , let him come back and play
that was irresponsible.
after that he was never the same.
RGIII was a subpar passer. W/o his mobility, he was exposed.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I am happy that he rallied and found a place in the league.
He's a really solid backup to Jackson.
Humbled, but landed on his feet.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Opposing defenses adjusted to the scheme they ran with him under center; he never evolved as a QB.

I would hardly call him “stupid,” as he finished his undergrad in three years, was on the dean’s list twice, and was working on his master’s while at Baylor.

Baylor’s offense in those days was notorious for having QBs that put up inflated numbers in the spread-out, one-read scheme. The Skins devised a RPO based offense that suited his skill-set that caught most of the NFL on its heals. As the league adjusted I think he struggled with evolving as a passer; it was too ingrained. Anecdotally, it seems his ego may have also contributed to his struggles.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My opinion on him has not changed. He was never a very refined passer. He had a lot of athleticism for the position but in the NFL, you don't outrun guys long. Eventually, they are going to catch you and when they do, you are going to pay a price. In the NFL, QBs have to be able to throw the ball and run NFL Offenses. Was only a matter of time for that guy.

Proximo

Reaction score
I wonder where most people put him on the list of all time “busts”.
Considering what Washington gave up for him, he has to be pretty high. If the team that was already at that spot had just drafted him with their pick, it wouldn’t be near as egregious. I can’t even remember anymore what exactly they gave up in that trade, but it was at least a couple high draft picks.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I wonder where most people put him on the list of all time “busts”.
Considering what Washington gave up for him, he has to be pretty high. If the team that was already at that spot had just drafted him with their pick, it wouldn’t be near as egregious. I can’t even remember anymore what exactly they gave up in that trade, but it was at least a couple high draft picks.
It's a big reason why they haven't been good for so long.

They gave up THREE 1st round picks (2012, 2013, 2014) and a 2nd (2012)

DFWJC

Reaction score
Here all of the picks Washington used to trade up for RG3

2012 1(6) Fletcher Cox or Luke Keuchly
2012 2(39) Bobby Wagner or Janoris Jenkins

2013 1(22) Deandre Hopkins

2014 1(2) Khalil Mack

They actually Cousins later in the same draft in 2012, so they were good at QB (no way of knowing that though)

Proximo

Reaction score
They gave up THREE 1st round picks (2012, 2013, 2014) and a 2nd (2012)

Wow, I knew it was a haul, but that is absolutely insane.

As a front office, not only do you have to “hit” on that pick after giving up so much, but the player basically has to end up being absolutely great to justify it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wow, I knew it was a haul, but that is absolutely insane.

As a front office, not only do you have to “hit” on that pick after giving up so much, but the player basically has to end up being absolutely great to justify it.
Sorta like MO for us. No, not near as bad, but that trade up did cost us heavily.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Sorta like MO for us. No, not near as bad, but that trade up did cost us heavily.

What’s unique about looking back at the draft day trade for Claiborne is that you don’t have to play the what-if game.

Jerry literally told us at the post draft presser who we would have selected had we not traded up:

Michael Brockers: longtime quality NFL starter
Bobby Wagner: probably Top 2-3 linebackers this past decade

kskboys

Reaction score
What’s unique about looking back at the draft day trade for Claiborne is that you don’t have to play the what-if game.

Jerry literally told us at the post draft presser who we would have selected had we not traded up:

Michael Brockers: longtime quality NFL starter
Bobby Wagner: probably Top 2-3 linebackers this past decade
Mannnn, I know. I didn't have Wagner on my radar, but after I heard that's who we were going to take, I cried a little.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Washington killed his career by having him go play on an injured knee.

I don't know that he would have been great or anything if they just let him heal properly instead of setting him up to shred it, but after that he was a shell of his former self.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
It wasnt really the injury's as much as his sense of entitlement. This is a guy who wouldnt let coaches show his bad plays during film sessions. That type of person is never going to improve.

He got most of his athleticism back. However, the league figured him out ans he never put in the work to grow into a legitimate QB

1.} "I feel like I’m the best quarterback in the league and I have to go out and show that. Any athlete at any level, if they concede to someone else, they’re not a top competitor, they’re not trying to be the best that they can be. There’s guys in this league that have done way more than me, but I still view myself as the best because that’s what I work toward every single day.”

2.) exposed.

3.) done.

Aven8

Reaction score
Bad knees. They generally follow you everywhere, just like they have for Wentz.