Why does an athlete need $30m instead of $20m?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Can I just have 20 million and let’s see what happens. I will let you know if I need that other 10 mil. If not I will give it to you guys.

The first 10 to respond can have a million a piece. I will share.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And the owners *could* get rid of the salary cap. They don't because they want to make $250 million (this is just the revenue sharing portion, there are likely more in profits) and still have a shot at winning. Why should player "X" sacrifice money in order to win, when the owners aren't willing to?

Owners own the team, take all the risks, created the league, put it all together. All players do is stay in shape, practice, and show up for the games.

rags747

Reaction score
Owners own the team, take all the risks, created the league, put it all together. All players do is stay in shape, practice, and show up for the games.
And for once I can honestly say that I agree with CowboyRoy, very unusual.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And for once I can honestly say that I agree with CowboyRoy, very unusual.

All the players do is ride the wave that the owners have created. They get all the glory, get to play the game of their dreams, get all the chicks, get the life that everyone dreams about...……………….and get paid million beyond reason.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Players take risks every time they step on the field, and they won't still be raking in NFL millions in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and beyond.

No one buys a ticket to watch an owner.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Players take risks every time they step on the field, and they won't still be raking in NFL millions in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and beyond.

No one buys a ticket to watch an owner.

And what risk is that? Do they take any more of a risk then some guy commuting to work 2 hours a day in traffic?

A roofer? Truck driver? Give me a break. ANYONE would take those risks for 10 million per year. That point is laughable.

Players come and go. Its the franchises that people come to see and that stand the test of time.

The players ride the wave that the NFL has created.

Another disgruntled employee? If you don't like it, try starting your own business and putting your life savings on the line. Lets see if you talk so tough then.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Why an athlete wants 30 million instead of 20
million is not my business.

ESisback

Reaction score
Why do the OWNERS grub for every extra penny they can get when they're already billionaires? It's funny how nobody asks that, but quibbles over players getting millions for accepting actual risk of harm on the field.

Owners have a lifetime to earn more money too, while players on average just have a few years.

In normal life if you ask a guy why he doesn't work for less and he'll tell you to pound sand. In that respect the mindset of the players is no different than anybody else.

Virtually every owner of every big company in the world are obscenely wealthy—just like NFL owners. The only difference? NFL employees are mostly millionaires. Employees at other companies make PEANUTS!

fansince68

Reaction score
Not another Dak thread - but someone please explain to me, from the perspective of a pro athlete, just what makes $30 million/year so badly necessary more than $20 million/year?

Yes, I know, more is always better. Yes I know, inflation. But there is virtually nothing you can want with $30 million/year that you couldn't have with $20 million/year, especially considering that there is no state income tax in Texas (unlike, say, an athlete in California or New York). You want big mansions? You got 'em - you can buy several every year. You want Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes, Bugattis, Maseratis? You can buy a dozen each year. You want hordes of women flocking to you? Well, you would have had that with even just $2 million a year, let alone $20 million. You want to send your kids to private school, make sure your family is financially set for life? Again, you sure don't need an income of $30 million a year to do that.

This isn't even taking into account the fact that many such athletes are making plenty of money on the side through advertisements, endorsements, and other ancillary income.

Where I'm going with this is: The difference between $20 million/year and $30 million/year is virtually nil for a pro athlete - either way, he's positively bathing in wealth. But it makes a big difference to a pro team's salary cap, on the other hand. The $10 million difference could mean the difference between an NFL team being able to sign additional talent that could propel them over the top, or not being able to.

Is it simply about "Such-and-such an athlete got so-and-so much, so I want just as much?" Or, "I want to be THE highest paid so I can feel like No. 1?"
Its simple.....10 extra million goes to his "agent".

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
And what risk is that? Do they take any more of a risk then some guy commuting to work 2 hours a day in traffic?

A roofer? Truck driver? Give me a break. ANYONE would take those risks for 10 million per year. That point is laughable.

Players come and go. Its the franchises that people come to see and that stand the test of time.

The players ride the wave that the NFL has created.

Another disgruntled employee? If you don't like it, try starting your own business and putting your life savings on the line. Lets see if you talk so tough then.
What did the current Rooney, Mara, Davis etc. family risk while inheriting an NFL team? What does Goodell risk for his exorbitant salary, or many other business executives for that matter? Why should most of the business execs make the kind of salaries, bonuses and pensions they make?

The players make the franchises, NFL owners aren't going to get rich selling tickets to watch Jenny in accounting log purchase orders. The owners may be selling a "team" concept, but it was the Staubachs, the Lilys, the Dorsetts, the Aikmans, the Smiths etc that made the teams and they are the reason fans go to see and pay their money.

Don't kid yourself that's it's just about the franchise. Why do you think that the NBA trying to put rules in place about resting players for road trips? Why would fans get upset if Lebron, or Kobe, or Curry didn't play but instead sat out the game? Why would a minor league baseball team suddenly have SRO games, when it hasn't happened all season? Oh yeah, a big name from the major leagues is due to play a game or two or get a few innings worth of work. Why aren't all those fans at every game, if it was all about the franchise? If it was all about the franchise, why didn't the replacement players thing work out for the owners? I've never heard one fan ever say, that their favorite member of a franchise was an owner.

jay94

Reaction score
Money is crap if you actually educate yourself, the Fed just endlessly prints and this favors the rich. They leverage their debt onto the masses and pay next to no taxes. The endless printing has just caused an economic inequality gap, that is widening faster and faster. The dollar will cra
Can I just have 20 million and let’s see what happens. I will let you know if I need that other 10 mil. If not I will give it to you guys.

The first 10 to respond can have a million a piece. I will share.

Just ask the FED to print it. Our phony money is coming to an end soon.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not another Dak thread - but someone please explain to me, from the perspective of a pro athlete, just what makes $30 million/year so badly necessary more than $20 million/year?

Yes, I know, more is always better. Yes I know, inflation. But there is virtually nothing you can want with $30 million/year that you couldn't have with $20 million/year, especially considering that there is no state income tax in Texas (unlike, say, an athlete in California or New York). You want big mansions? You got 'em - you can buy several every year. You want Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes, Bugattis, Maseratis? You can buy a dozen each year. You want hordes of women flocking to you? Well, you would have had that with even just $2 million a year, let alone $20 million. You want to send your kids to private school, make sure your family is financially set for life? Again, you sure don't need an income of $30 million a year to do that.

This isn't even taking into account the fact that many such athletes are making plenty of money on the side through advertisements, endorsements, and other ancillary income.

Where I'm going with this is: The difference between $20 million/year and $30 million/year is virtually nil for a pro athlete - either way, he's positively bathing in wealth. But it makes a big difference to a pro team's salary cap, on the other hand. The $10 million difference could mean the difference between an NFL team being able to sign additional talent that could propel them over the top, or not being able to.

Is it simply about "Such-and-such an athlete got so-and-so much, so I want just as much?" Or, "I want to be THE highest paid so I can feel like No. 1?"
ego bottom line EGO

but worse here in big D with cheap real estate and less taxes why cant they take less? they also get more sponsorship money and other add ons just playing under the prime time ;lights more etc.. it boggles the mind these dudes dont give but more of home town discount here..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What did the current Rooney, Mara, Davis etc. family risk while inheriting an NFL team? What does Goodell risk for his exorbitant salary, or many other business executives for that matter? Why should most of the business execs make the kind of salaries, bonuses and pensions they make?

The players make the franchises, NFL owners aren't going to get rich selling tickets to watch Jenny in accounting log purchase orders. The owners may be selling a "team" concept, but it was the Staubachs, the Lilys, the Dorsetts, the Aikmans, the Smiths etc that made the teams and they are the reason fans go to see and pay their money.

Don't kid yourself that's it's just about the franchise. Why do you think that the NBA trying to put rules in place about resting players for road trips? Why would fans get upset if Lebron, or Kobe, or Curry didn't play but instead sat out the game? Why would a minor league baseball team suddenly have SRO games, when it hasn't happened all season? Oh yeah, a big name from the major leagues is due to play a game or two or get a few innings worth of work. Why aren't all those fans at every game, if it was all about the franchise? If it was all about the franchise, why didn't the replacement players thing work out for the owners? I've never heard one fan ever say, that their favorite member of a franchise was an owner.

So I take it you aren't a business man?

Did you start rooting for the Cardinals once Emmitt went there or did you still root for the Cowboys?