Why does an athlete need $30m instead of $20m?

rags747

Reaction score
Virtually every owner of every big company in the world are obscenely wealthy—just like NFL owners. The only difference? NFL employees are mostly millionaires. Employees at other companies make PEANUTS!
Usually employees are paid what they are worth, they are paid what the market believes they are worth. CEO’s are paid what the Mkt will bear as well. Exceptional brains make exceptional $, people that are less developed in the brain category are usually not happy with their level of pay for some reason.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Usually employees are paid what they are worth, they are paid what the market believes they are worth. CEO’s are paid what the Mkt will bear as well. Exceptional brains make exceptional $, people that are less developed in the brain category are usually not happy with their level of pay for some reason.

Let me ask you a question about the NBA...…..Owners are not allowed to "collude" with one another. But clearly the players are allowed to talk whenever they want about creating super teams, teaming up, leaving one team and meeting up to play for another.

Is this not "colluding" on the part of the players? I think the NBA is headed down a dangerous road.

I believe the NBA is drifting towards a league where the players control which teams win or lose. You will have 4 or 5 big market teams such as LA Lakers, Clippers, ect….ect…. that all top tier players will flock to in order to win championship. Parody if not dead already, will be completely dead.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What you seem to be overlooking here is the agents role in all of this. It's not the player banging his fist on the table for more money...it's the agent. When these players say they have people that take care of that and they are going to let them do their job, they aren't lying. And the agent gets a percentage of whatever the player gets.

So to answer your question, no there really isn't that big of difference to the player. But the difference to the agent is massive. The money the agent gets on that transaction aside, if he gets that deal for Dak, other players are going to want him as their agent. That's how these agents market themselves...through the deals they get for their players.

And that is what it is all about...
And these players all talk about the agents and one of the best compliments they can get is "the team doesn't have a good relationship with this agent", like we heard about Lawrence's agent. Then he knocks down a 21M annual contract.

And most of the agents are lawyers, that's how the old timers got into it, and most of the owners don't like lawyers to begin with, not even their own.

I would want to be known as the most difficult agent to deal with, a real ball buster, and they'd be lined up at the door and I could cherry pick my clients for my 3%. The other thing I would do is have mandatory money management for my players to keep them from being stupid with their money. It is amazing how much some of these cats can just blow through because they've never had money and don't know how to make money with their money...….. like the real rich do.

rags747

Reaction score
Let me ask you a question about the NBA...…..Owners are not allowed to "collude" with one another. But clearly the players are allowed to talk whenever they want about creating super teams, teaming up, leaving one team and meeting up to play for another.

Is this not "colluding" on the part of the players? I think the NBA is headed down a dangerous road.

I believe the NBA is drifting towards a league where the players control which teams win or lose. You will have 4 or 5 big market teams such as LA Lakers, Clippers, ect….ect…. that all top tier players will flock to in order to win championship. Parody if not dead already, will be completely dead.
You are asking the wrong person about the NBA as I have zero interest since the Willis Reed and Clyde Frazier days, but yes it could become a problem imo.

ESisback

Reaction score

The CEO or owner of Walmart or some other corporations are paid market value, but the owner of an NFL team is greedy and evil and must be stopped?

Far too many people with less developed brains are making big money because they can run fast with a ball. They’re also defended far too often by people with less developed brains, which is interesting.

Will you answer one question? What’s more important, the “market value” of a 25 year old athlete, or the true value of a teacher, nurse, firefighter, police officer, or veteran?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Is there, like, a book that outlines the "market" somewhere? I keep hearing things like going rate and Market Value but I haven't really seen anything that dictates you have to pay anybody anything, in terms of set contract values.

IDK

You can easily go to spotrac or otc and look to see what the market is ie what the existing contracts are.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can easily go to spotrac or otc and look to see what the market is ie what the existing contracts are.
Or ask any agent or player, they know that better than the playbook. That's how they keep their score.

I would like to see what this would look like if they had two flat years and no cap increase. They keep pushing all the positions up, what would suffer in a flat market? Is there no hard ceiling on the cap?

ESisback

Reaction score
Can I ask a question? Are the moderators real people, or simply algorithms that see certain “trigger” words, assume the worst, and then censor with that generic “awaiting moderator approval” crap?

Kage

Reaction score
So if your making $21/hour, you would be okay with $14/hour?

I know theirs is a larger amount, but that is their going rate.

ESisback

Reaction score
I see overcompensated athletes defended with this market value crap far too often. Yeah yeah yeah, I REALIZE that we overvalue actors and athletes, and the “reality” of the situation. While it happens, it’s STILL wrong, and I’m STILL gonna rant. Teachers, nurses, veterans, cops and firefighters SHOULD be valued more than athletes. Pointing this out is almost impossible because of the land mines of ethnicity trigger words.

ESisback

Reaction score

But that’s the point! The impact of the wage disparity is MUCH more life altering at the common man level. Of course 21 is much better than 14–to the working poor! A guy making 25 million and a guy making 30 million are BOTH filthy rich, and that extra 5 million is player ego and/or agent greed, supported by a broken system with distorted values.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not another Dak thread - but someone please explain to me, from the perspective of a pro athlete, just what makes $30 million/year so badly necessary more than $20 million/year?

Yes, I know, more is always better. Yes I know, inflation. But there is virtually nothing you can want with $30 million/year that you couldn't have with $20 million/year, especially considering that there is no state income tax in Texas (unlike, say, an athlete in California or New York). You want big mansions? You got 'em - you can buy several every year. You want Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes, Bugattis, Maseratis? You can buy a dozen each year. You want hordes of women flocking to you? Well, you would have had that with even just $2 million a year, let alone $20 million. You want to send your kids to private school, make sure your family is financially set for life? Again, you sure don't need an income of $30 million a year to do that.

This isn't even taking into account the fact that many such athletes are making plenty of money on the side through advertisements, endorsements, and other ancillary income.

Where I'm going with this is: The difference between $20 million/year and $30 million/year is virtually nil for a pro athlete - either way, he's positively bathing in wealth. But it makes a big difference to a pro team's salary cap, on the other hand. The $10 million difference could mean the difference between an NFL team being able to sign additional talent that could propel them over the top, or not being able to.

Is it simply about "Such-and-such an athlete got so-and-so much, so I want just as much?" Or, "I want to be THE highest paid so I can feel like No. 1?"

You, in my guess, are looking at this from an avg Joe perspective. Avg Joe lives fairly modestly and cant even imagine what having that kind of money is like. This is why YOU can say whats the difference. BUT, this is also not about money. When you have a certain job, you get used to the deal, and now you are looking at things in the very large scheme of things. NFL is HUGE business and you view yourself as part of why they make so much money. Thus, you want your share. Players always say it isnt about the money. They want respect... dont kid yourself, they equate that payday with how much the team respects them.

If play X sees player Y getting 30 mill, and player X sees himself as better.... yep, you bet he is going to want as much, at a MINIMUM. You get used to the world you live in. Someone making 40k a year in California and struggling to pay rent would view the way I live as extravagent. Its all relative to where you are and how you live. Nfl players, especially QBs just live in a different world.

Red Dragon

Reaction score

People keep using this analogy. As Esisback pointed out, it is not a suitable one because there is a massive difference, in terms of livelihood and making the household budget ends meet, in someone who earns $21/hour versus $14/hour. Whereas there is no meaningful difference in livelihood for someone making $20 million/year versus $30 million/year. Such a pro athlete need never worry about rent, groceries, tuition, insurance, loans in either case.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But that’s the point! The impact of the wage disparity is MUCH more life altering at the common man level. Of course 21 is much better than 14–to the working poor! A guy making 25 million and a guy making 30 million are BOTH filthy rich, and that extra 5 million is player ego and/or agent greed.

Why do owners increase advertising and marketing efforts and negotiate higher TV contracts etc … why do they try to make $1B in revenue rather than $800MM, or $2B rather than $1.5B?

And why not look at it the other way - the teams are making a lot of money, so why don't they give in and give up the $30MM? Team owners are going to be filthy rich anyway. They could eliminate the cap altogether if they chose.

Plus team owners can keep making those big bucks until the day they die, whereas most football players will be out of the game before they are 30 years old.

In the end, the players are a commodity, and they make money by selling that commodity for the best price they can get. They are pork bellies and crude oil and soy beans, but on the service side. That's how a free market society works, and it only works if both sides are negotiating rather than one side negotiating and the other side giving in.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
But that’s the point! The impact of the wage disparity is MUCH more life altering at the common man level. Of course 21 is much better than 14–to the working poor! A guy making 25 million and a guy making 30 million are BOTH filthy rich, and that extra 5 million is player ego and/or agent greed, supported by a broken system with distorted values.
I agree, but the real shame is the owner making billions and having the tax payer subsidizing their stadium.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spo...dium&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
Luckily for them they have legions of fanboys and girls that cheer on these excesses and, in fact, get triggered by even the use of words like excess.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I see overcompensated athletes defended with this market value crap far too often. Yeah yeah yeah, I REALIZE that we overvalue actors and athletes, and the “reality” of the situation. While it happens, it’s STILL wrong, and I’m STILL gonna rant. Teachers, nurses, veterans, cops and firefighters SHOULD be valued more than athletes. Pointing this out is almost impossible because of the land mines of ethnicity trigger words.
IM a teacher, and I should not be valued more than pro athletes. Why? Because there are hundreds of thousands of teachers. How many NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL players are there? Is my job more important , on a societal basis, than the pro athlete? Ultimately, yes. BUT, in our current worls, pro sports is far more important to most people's individual lives than me and what I do with my 30 students each day.

I spent 4 years in the military, much of society could do that. Im a teacher, many in society could do that. What is it? 1/10 of 1% can be a pro athlete? I can tell you that I care a whole lot more about the start of the NFL season than I do who the cop is in the city I live. Why should 1 job be viewed as more important than another? I am a teacher, but I often feel useless because I cant fix my AC when it goes down. Society has made a deal with each other. We need the guy that works at Kmart, the hardware store, the mechanic, the plumber.... we need everybody. We all play a role in the world in which we live, and while the Kmart person cant do my job, we need that person nonetheless.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Why do owners increase advertising and marketing efforts and negotiate higher TV contracts etc … why do they try to make $1B in revenue rather than $800MM, or $2B rather than $1.5B?

And why not look at it the other way - the teams are making a lot of money, so why don't they give in and give up the $30MM? Team owners are going to be filthy rich anyway. They could eliminate the cap altogether if they chose.

Plus team owners can keep making those big bucks until the day they die, whereas most football players will be out of the game before they are 30 years old.

In the end, the players are a commodity, and they make money by selling that commodity for the best price they can get. They are pork bellies and crude oil and soy beans, but on the service side. That's how a free market society works, and it only works if both sides are negotiating rather than one side negotiating and the other side giving in.
They are the labor and product and deserve to be paid as such.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Not another Dak thread - but someone please explain to me, from the perspective of a pro athlete, just what makes $30 million/year so badly necessary more than $20 million/year?

Yes, I know, more is always better. Yes I know, inflation. But there is virtually nothing you can want with $30 million/year that you couldn't have with $20 million/year, especially considering that there is no state income tax in Texas (unlike, say, an athlete in California or New York). You want big mansions? You got 'em - you can buy several every year. You want Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes, Bugattis, Maseratis? You can buy a dozen each year. You want hordes of women flocking to you? Well, you would have had that with even just $2 million a year, let alone $20 million. You want to send your kids to private school, make sure your family is financially set for life? Again, you sure don't need an income of $30 million a year to do that.

This isn't even taking into account the fact that many such athletes are making plenty of money on the side through advertisements, endorsements, and other ancillary income.

Where I'm going with this is: The difference between $20 million/year and $30 million/year is virtually nil for a pro athlete - either way, he's positively bathing in wealth. But it makes a big difference to a pro team's salary cap, on the other hand. The $10 million difference could mean the difference between an NFL team being able to sign additional talent that could propel them over the top, or not being able to.

Is it simply about "Such-and-such an athlete got so-and-so much, so I want just as much?" Or, "I want to be THE highest paid so I can feel like No. 1?"

See the Tom Brady quote on $$$.
See how the Patriots are able to get players on short term deals. As they have extra CAP that allows them that.