Why Does Everyone Hate Nickelback?

timb2

Reaction score
I have my theories why? Peer Pressure to like certain music and music singers / groups. Nickelback is an easy target but somehow we are suppose to like Taylor Swift??. I saw this also with the EMO Groups getting bashed but some rapper who mumbles was to be praised.

So why is Nickelback hated,yet groups like Dave Matthews is to be adored.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have my theories why? Peer Pressure to like certain music and music singers / groups. Nickelback is an easy target but somehow we are suppose to like Taylor Swift??. I saw this also with the EMO Groups getting bashed but some rapper who mumbles was to be praised.

Dave Matthews is hated too.

In both cases, rightly so.

Hardline

Reaction score
I don't listen to bands I don't like so I'm indifferent to them.
But then again, I rarely listen to mainstream rock or metal.
If the band gets radio play I probably don't like them.

I listen to bands most people never heard of.

John813

Reaction score
From what I gathered over the years it's due to them having a lot of songs that sound exactly the same and the same topics. But, a lot of bands do that.
I feel it was overblown and just became the cool thing to do during the 2000's.
I don't care for NB, but it's not an instant change the station type of band.

I dislike Dave Matthews way more. Don't know why there, just do.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The internet + human nature.

There always has to be someone/something to hate. People always want to feel part of the crew. NB comes along and puts out some formula rock, (just like many before them) achieves some success and almost randomly becomes the sacrifice to the Gods for the sake of the human ego.

I neither liked nor hated them. Never bought any of their stuff or had any desire to see them. I'll tap along when they come on the radio though.

I always thought Springsteen was the same but in reverse. It was popular to listen his stuff to the point where you would get a ton of flack of you didn't like it. You weren't cool if you didn't like Springsteen.

I'd rather listen to NB than Springsteen.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Springsteen has great live performances and about 30 awesome songs. I don't even know one nickelback song or one member. Comparing these two is silly. Not to mention Clarence Clemons is probably the greatest Rock & Roll saxophone player ever.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
"butt rock" in general was the cool thing to hate on

I think there's plenty worse out there ... They're not my first choice to listen to but I don't buy into the hate they receive.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
They got big and popular, then easy to hate. They got too much air time. The same thing happened to Creed. I was never a big fan, but they had some catchy tunes.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Springsteen has great live performances and about 30 awesome songs. I don't even know one nickelback song or one member. Comparing these two is silly. Not to mention Clarence Clemons is probably the greatest Rock & Roll saxophone player ever.
Just my opinion but there is nothing musically interesting about Springsteen. Great lyric writer, maybe, but the music is bland and boring. The one and only concert I ever dosed off at was Springsteen.

DZSierra

Reaction score
They got big and popular, then easy to hate. They got too much air time. The same thing happened to Creed. I was never a big fan, but they had some catchy tunes.
Honestly, didn't mind listening to either band. I wasn't like "turn this crap off!"

Kingofholland

Reaction score

Coming out of the 90s grunge era, rock just took a different turn in the 2000s. Some went with the rock/rap vibe Limp Biscuit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, then others kind of took on a mostly heavy mainstream sound like Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Three Days Grace, and Seether with a few melodic songs. Then you had bands like Nickleback, Incubus, Three Doors Down that had a lot of crossover success. Frankly a lot of the bands had similar sounds that could have easily belonged to the other band, but every decade has copy cats.

In Nicklebacks case, they looked pretty cleancut, the singer seemed to over sing to get his distinctive voice, they were played all the time on the radio, and they became known as the band your girl probably loved. Success often attracts haters, and for the reasons above probably got more criricism over the others. Personally I've always been indifferent on them. Wasn't a fan, never owned any of their music, but also didn't dislike them. Most probably won't ever admit they had a couple catchy songs because it wasn't cool, but they probably did get way more criticism than they deserved. With today's music scene and the state of rock I would gladly take Nickleback vs a lot of what is being put out today though :).

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

In my 20's I had girlfriend that loved Nickleback. Thats why. How many 20ish year old dudes had some girl jamming that garbage in there ear in the mid 2000's lol. I do still know the girl, we are actually pretty close.

Their early stuff (The State) was actually pretty good. Grungy, but grunge was dead at the time.

After that it seemed they made music for lonely girls. And when that got old, music for strippers

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It's nice when you're at the age when you don't care about being cool.

As I tell my boys, I'm the trendsetter that makes things cool ;)
It is a freeing feeling when you get there. I can't pinpoint exactly when that happened, but probably sometime after after my 20s and got married.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's nice when you're at the age when you don't care about being cool.

As I tell my boys, I'm the trendsetter that makes things cool ;)
This
Who cares what everyone else likes?

And even if it is "cookie-cutter"...again, who cares if you like it.
Just because something is original in no way makes it "good"

As for me.....uh, not really a Nickleback fan, but I don't "hate" them
:laugh: