Why doesn't Hunter Lupke get carries?

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
The vast majority of the time a person doesn't get game touches is because they're not very good, or others are better.

Just because Pollard and Dowdle have had issues in short yardage doesn't mean Lupke is automatically superior to them in the coaches evaluation. When you're trying to win a game it's not a great time to experiment.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
The vast majority of the time a person doesn't get game touches is because they're not very good, or others are better.

Just because Pollard and Dowdle have had issues in short yardage doesn't mean Lupke is automatically superior to them in the coaches evaluation. When you're trying to win a game it's not a great time to experiment.
Actually, I think if you're having problems in a particular area, you should experiment to see if you can find something that works better, but hey... tomato tomato!

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Actually, I think if you're having problems in a particular area, you should experiment to see if you can find something that works better, but hey... tomato tomato!
That's fair, but that's usually what they determine in practice, not on 1st and goal from the 6 against the Eagles down 7-0.

I do think they should've been using him more when the issue was decided though. Cowboys have had opportunity to give him some garbage time looks. Not sure how many of those they're going to get heading into this part of the schedule.

rambo2

Reaction score

They know Luepke can do it. They have been saving it for later.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Sorry but Luepke is not the power back you all think he is. I would trust Pollard and Dowdle for must-have short yardage before I'd trust Leupke.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree, these coaches and talent evaluators get it wrong all the time only to find out somebody is "a gamer". I'm extremely disappointed at their feeble attempt at a running game. Could be a result of Jerry's approach for "serviceable" OL rather than the maulers that we would need but they told us a power running game was in the works and this is the opposite of a power running game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Is there a reason we dont see Hunter Luepke getting any carries in short yardage situations? I don't get it.It seems like he could be an asset in certain situations.
I honestly don't know why they don't use more I formations with hunter and Rico in the backfield at the same time and either give it to the lead fullback every once in awhile give it to Rico every once in a while all short yardage and goal line and also why don't we see Tony Pollard and Rico in the backfield at the same time like we used to see with zeke I would like to see more of that they need to do something to get the run game going in short yardage cause we've improved our red zone but the one thing we don't have is confidence in the run game inside the five gotta get that going

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I think we should use more I-formation and Pro Sets with Luepke and use him either as a lead blocker more to make a whole, or use PA, fake it to the RB, and hit Luepke out in the flat for some easy yards. Or better yet, find an outside receiver outside the hashes for 15 yards downfield on a timing, stop route...or the TE on a corner route. Simple football. This should easily be a part of the offense, especially once the Cowboys have a lead.

Forget carries, he needs to be used more as a blocker or as a receiver in the flat after Play Action