Why doesn't Jerry Overrule Stephen?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Jerry's been known in his years of owning this team, to never shy away from making moves. Over the last however many seasons, I guess Stephen has been given all authority to run this team. Is this team really set up to where Jerry may want someone, but Stephen says "no it's going to cost us too much, we need to think about the future" or whatever excuse he's giving to Jerry, in which Jerry says ok son, you're right!! I just don't get it. You'll hear Jerry say "if there's a player that I really like, it wouldn't stop me from getting that player" (paraphrasing). In Stephen's defense, we don't have to get every BIG NAME free agent, but at least put in some effort to bring guys in for a cup of coffee. Please give me your thoughts, can Stephen be overruled??? Doesn't Jerry want to see another Superbowl? He's not getting any younger!

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stephen is making the bottom line look great. $$ is all that matters. Jerry is All-in on keeping that profit coming in while keeping the actual money spent as low as possible. Helps when you have a fan base that will give them their money no matter what.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry's been known in his years of owning this team, to never shy away from making moves. Over the last however many seasons, I guess Stephen has been given all authority to run this team. Is this team really set up to where Jerry may want someone, but Stephen says "no it's going to cost us too much, we need to think about the future" or whatever excuse he's giving to Jerry, in which Jerry says ok son, you're right!! I just don't get it. You'll hear Jerry say "if there's a player that I really like, it wouldn't stop me from getting that player" (paraphrasing). In Stephen's defense, we don't have to get every BIG NAME free agent, but at least put in some effort to bring guys in for a cup of coffee. Please give me your thoughts, can Stephen be overruled??? Doesn't Jerry want to see another Superbowl? He's not getting any younger!
This year is a salary cap reset. Not new news.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Stephen is making the bottom line look great. $$ is all that matters. Jerry is All-in on keeping that profit coming in while keeping the actual money spent as low as possible. Helps when you have a fan base that will give them their money no matter what.
Very good point

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He used too. But Jerry has taken a huge step back in recent years. Yes he still loves to talk and sit in all the meetings, that likely will not change unless his health declines. But Stephen has taken a larger leadership role in running this organization for a few years. It seems on or around the time he stood up to his dad regarding not drafting manzel one could really see the organizational philosophy changed or was changing.

gtb1943

Reaction score
He used too. But Jerry has taken a huge step back in recent years. Yes he still loves to talk and sit in all the meetings, that likely will not change unless his health declines. But Stephen has taken a larger leadership role in running this organization for a few years. It seems on or around the time he stood up to his dad regarding not drafting manzel one could really see the organizational philosophy changed or was changing.
has not made any difference that I can see.
still soft team that fails when it matters

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Over the last however many seasons, I guess Stephen has been given all authority to run this team.
'All' does not encompass every move. Otherwise, Jerry Jones would have asked his son's permission trading for Trey Lance.

It does not matter how much authority Stephen Jones commands in the end, whether real or imaginary. The final decision maker is the Mad Genius. No football-related action is approved with his say so.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Stephen will run things differently when Jerry can't, or does not want to anymore, or is gone.

He maintains Jerry's way to a degree as he is the GM in title.

But something needs to give and change soon. We are starting to see that now, and the way they handled this off season so far.
Yes, one can blame the salary cap issues. But they had / have the power to change and and create room.
I give them credit for not getting contracts done to create cap room, then waste it on FA. So maybe they feared if the cap room was there, they would have buyers remorse down the road.

They had a plan, and are sticking to it so far. I hope they stay with the way things are, other than getting a deal done for CeeDee.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Question: If Jerry was totally out of the decision making & Stephen did the following two things 1) said all player issues go thru the coaching staff & 2) I only speak on things a GM should speak on. Would that automatically make him a better owner than Jerry?

Since those have long been viewed as chief culprits in our disfunction, they would be a huge step right? Now, it doesn't mean that he might not have plenty of other flaws, but it would reset the gauge at least IMO.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Probably because they share similar views.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because Stephan and Will and McCarthy and everybody else in the organization never disagrees with Jerry ........ ever ....... at least not outwardly.

Jerry surrounds himself with yes men.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We aren't close to super bowl yet so just keep drafting and uncovering role players until it's time.

I'm thinking 2026 then whip out the checkbook

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
has not made any difference that I can see.
still soft team that fails when it matters
That part hasn't changed. Some of the reckless contracts Jerry used to do have. Stephen is much more conservative with free agency. It will take new leadership to change this culture of mentally weak players the Joneses have cultivated the last 30 years. Won't happen in Jerry's lifetime, doubtful in Stephens, but possible with whomever is running the show after that if they hire the right people to run the organization.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think Stephen will run things differently when Jerry can't, or does not want to anymore, or is gone.

He maintains Jerry's way to a degree as he is the GM in title.

But something needs to give and change soon. We are starting to see that now, and the way they handled this off season so far.
Yes, one can blame the salary cap issues. But they had / have the power to change and and create room.
I give them credit for not getting contracts done to create cap room, then waste it on FA. So maybe they feared if the cap room was there, they would have buyers remorse down the road.

They had a plan, and are sticking to it so far. I hope they stay with the way things are, other than getting a deal done for CeeDee.
This post just put an odd thought in my mind...........We all agree we have not seen an offseason like this one since Jerry purchased the team in 1989. Is it possible plans are going on privately to restructure ownership/GM power at the end of this season? Let's be honest, this has been a very UnJerry-like off-season. He has always been transparent and kept the public in the loop.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coogs, in response to the question in the OP, we all have to realize at some point that in a dysfunctional organization, it is very difficult to make anything make sense.

I have two questions for the owner of this franchise:
  1. ”How much evidence do you need to see that your GM and VP of Player Personnel don’t know how to put together a roster that can win multiple playoff games?”
  2. And “How much evidence do you need to realize your GM and VPPP don’t know how to maneuver effectively in the salary cap era?”
As a Cowboys fan for six decades, I will never understand why this owner is ok with having a front office that is unaccountable for failure and is borderline incompetent. He’s obviously not bothered enough by any of that.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry should share his thoughts with Stephen