Why doesn't Jerry Overrule Stephen?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen is making the bottom line look great. $$ is all that matters. Jerry is All-in on keeping that profit coming in while keeping the actual money spent as low as possible.
How does that work when each team has to spend approx 95% of the salary cap? No real money savings there.

In addition, the Cowboys sell more merch and make more from tickets than any team in the league. Big revenue coming in.

fivetwos

Reaction score
From somewhere between speculation and hope….

I think what could potentially be different under Stephen, assuming they still haven’t gotten to a CG and are quite possibly on that dry hill alone at some point, is that I can see him hiring an actual GM, who would then select the HC, staff, organizational plan, etc…I think the current mish mosh of opinions really hurts at times.

I don’t think he is going to be adamant about being recognized as the orchestrator of it all, and more importantly, I don’t think he will try to intimidate the media when the questions get tougher, and may eventually relent. At least he has someone to blame, and life becomes much easier.

He may even want to go that route as we speak, but we know how Jerry feels about it. They think they are close and there’s no one better than them for the job.

Jerry should be enjoying his last years and the fruits of his labor. Every day on that yacht that he fully earned. Instead that ego drives to forego all that just so he can say ‘I told you so’ to no one in particular. It’s a bit sad in a way.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Just an educated guess, but something tells me Jerry & Son, Stephen, are actually in cahoots with one another -- most of the time! :huh:
They mainly conspire to make money and lots of it. If they were as great at that as winning Super Bowl's, we'd surely have it made. :muttley:

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Funny how fans act like they know what’s going on behind closed doors between Jerry and Stephen. :rolleyes:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Really? We would have had Johnny Football instead of HOF Zack Martin
So you're the one spreading that lie. Will McClay was in that conversation and was recently asked about that situation. He dismissed the premise that Jerry fought for drafting Manzel. Jerry mentioned his name as they discussed who to draft that round but the conversation quickly transitioned to drafting Zack Martin. All voices at the war room table were heard; Martin was the overwhelming choice by far. Jerry had no problem with it. Stop the lies!

Brax

Reaction score
Coogs, in response to the question in the OP, we all have to realize at some point that in a dysfunctional organization, it is very difficult to make anything make sense.

I have two questions for the owner of this franchise:
  1. ”How much evidence do you need to see that your GM and VP of Player Personnel don’t know how to put together a roster that can win multiple playoff games?”
  2. And “How much evidence do you need to realize your GM and VPPP don’t know how to maneuver effectively in the salary cap era?”
As a Cowboys fan for six decades, I will never understand why this owner is ok with having a front office that is unaccountable for failure and is borderline incompetent. He’s obviously not bothered enough by any of that.
Jerry is the front office, the final say is his. He will never admit he is wrong and will go to the grave believing he is a football legend and he has fielded championship teams the majority of his GM run and it’s others fault for the failures. Our guys, friends and family, coaches and their buddies, only accountable to Jerry. You work for Jerry for 1 reason money and you get a head by saying yes Jerry even when you know he is wrong. There is no business who strives for success (football it’s Champions) wouldn’t have fired Jerry at a minimum of 5 or 6 times for his failure to deliver

Brax

Reaction score
Funny how fans act like they know what’s going on behind closed doors between Jerry and Stephen. :rolleyes:
Here’s a sample, Jerry, I think you need to sign this guy. Stevie, you sure Jerry that’s what I said. Stevie yes daddy.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All we need to know is no secret- it’s public knowledge: 4 wild card wins in nearly three decades. No divisional playoff wins in 28 years. What else do we need to know to prove that the Jerry-SJ front office is not effective in putting together a championship roster?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
All we need to know is no secret- it’s public knowledge: 4 wild card wins in nearly three decades. No divisional playoff wins in 28 years. What else do we need to know to prove that the Jerry-SJ front office is not effective in putting together a championship roster?
They put together some real good rosters, all of which have been ranked in the top five amongst the other NFL teams. We’re coming off back to back 12 win seasons, so the talent has been there. However. those teams haven’t been able to put it together in the playoffs. The defense has been a huge problem. We’ve had issues against the run and making critical stops. Our pass rush disappears in the playoffs. One huge problem with the Joneses is they coddle their players and Jerry continues to undermine his head coaches.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They put together some real good rosters, all of which have been ranked in the top five amongst the other NFL teams. We’re coming off back to back 12 win seasons, so the talent has been there. However. those teams haven’t been able to put it together in the playoffs. The defense has been a huge problem. We’ve had issues against the run and making critical stops. Our pass rush disappears in the playoffs. One huge problem with the Joneses is they coddle their players and Jerry continues to undermine his head coaches.
The only real way I can think of to reconcile it is that the reg season win total makes too many (fans, players, media) think the team is better than it is, and results in a lesser effort than necessary come January. Plus they are tired lol. I don’t know anymore.

Either that or Jerry is being held to the deal he made for SB30. Given the way they have lost some playoff games….three times in historical fashion with blown high seeds, I just may side with this one. If karma is at all real it ain’t on his side and we are along for that ride.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The only real way I can think of to reconcile it is that the reg season win total makes too many (fans, players, media) think the team is better than it is, and results in a lesser effort than necessary come January. Plus they are tired lol. I don’t know anymore.

Either that or Jerry is being held to the deal he made for SB30. Given the way they have lost some playoff games….three times in historical fashion with blown high seeds, I just may side with this one. If karma is at all real it ain’t on his side and we are along for that ride.
The problem has been that we fade later in the season. Although we win a lot of regular season games we’re never playing our best football when the playoffs arrive. Despite winning 12 games last season, you could see oil leaking the final month of the season. We barely escaped with a win at home in a shootout to Seattle. We then lost in back-to-back weeks to Buffalo and Miami. The following week we escaped with a win against Detroit at home. I knew we were in real trouble entering the playoffs and when I posted it, I got accused of being a negative.

It’s been a long time since we were playing our best football of the season entering the playoffs. We always seem to catch a team that’s going up when we’re coming down. Green Bay was a hot team entering the playoffs last season. It’s perplexing as to why we continue to sputter out once December and January arrive. DLaw said the team was tired, which is a poor excuse when everyone plays the same 17 game schedule. We don’t look prepared for the playoffs and we don’t seem excited to play in them. We come out flat.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regular season wins get you in the playoffs. Obviously they are good. What you do in the playoffs is ultimately how you are judged. If you never win a divisional playoff game - as we haven’t done in three decades - those regular season wins look a lot less shiny.