Why doesn't Jerry Overrule Stephen?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Regular season wins get you in the playoffs. Obviously they are good. What you do in the playoffs is ultimately how you are judged. If you never win a divisional playoff game - as we haven’t done in three decades - those regular season wins look a lot less shiny.
Despite how bad it’s gone for the Cowboys in the playoffs for almost 30 years they still get judged favorably. The luster never seems to wear off the Cowboys. Their roster is always picked as one of the best. Many still pick them to be in the playoffs and win the division most years. Those regular season wins still keep the team looking shiny to many. The Cowboys are still leading the way as the richest franchise. No team gets talked about as much as the Cowboys.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Jerry's been known in his years of owning this team, to never shy away from making moves. Over the last however many seasons, I guess Stephen has been given all authority to run this team. Is this team really set up to where Jerry may want someone, but Stephen says "no it's going to cost us too much, we need to think about the future" or whatever excuse he's giving to Jerry, in which Jerry says ok son, you're right!! I just don't get it. You'll hear Jerry say "if there's a player that I really like, it wouldn't stop me from getting that player" (paraphrasing). In Stephen's defense, we don't have to get every BIG NAME free agent, but at least put in some effort to bring guys in for a cup of coffee. Please give me your thoughts, can Stephen be overruled??? Doesn't Jerry want to see another Superbowl? He's not getting any younger!
He did. He traded for Trance.

shabazz

Reaction score
Regular season wins get you in the playoffs. Obviously they are good. What you do in the playoffs is ultimately how you are judged. If you never win a divisional playoff game - as we haven’t done in three decades - those regular season wins look a lot less shiny.
Agree 100% with your first sentence because it's plain factual however, the wins have to be looked at a bit deeper to form how indicative they really are.

Tampa Bay got in the playoffs 2 seasons ago with an 8-9 record so it was pretty easy to see how it would end for them but with the Cowboys the 12 win seasons may be the biggest fools gold ever sold

Weak years of NFC East in which 4-5 wins were almost guaranteed ( despite the eagles 1 great season), and several seasons of having the bottom 5 easiest schedule, accounted for a lot of these "wins".

When people don't take these kind of things into proper account they are "shocked" that the last 7 playoff games went 2-5 for us.

No easy schedule this season.....the AFC North is on their way to test us

shabazz

Reaction score
Funny how fans act like they know what’s going on behind closed doors between Jerry and Stephen. :rolleyes:
I don't claim to know, but it seems like it would be an underwhelming and disappointing experience.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This post just put an odd thought in my mind...........We all agree we have not seen an offseason like this one since Jerry purchased the team in 1989. Is it possible plans are going on privately to restructure ownership/GM power at the end of this season? Let's be honest, this has been a very UnJerry-like off-season. He has always been transparent and kept the public in the loop.
I said that a few months back. Jerry seen how much Snyder cashed out for. NFL is in a major lawsuit and we are most likely heading for a depression. It may be the best time to get out.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Put it this way: If Jerry has a choice between winning another SB or getting slot machines in the Death Star, which would he proritize? You know the answer.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Coogs, in response to the question in the OP, we all have to realize at some point that in a dysfunctional organization, it is very difficult to make anything make sense.

I have two questions for the owner of this franchise:
  1. ”How much evidence do you need to see that your GM and VP of Player Personnel don’t know how to put together a roster that can win multiple playoff games?”
  2. And “How much evidence do you need to realize your GM and VPPP don’t know how to maneuver effectively in the salary cap era?”
As a Cowboys fan for six decades, I will never understand why this owner is ok with having a front office that is unaccountable for failure and is borderline incompetent. He’s obviously not bothered enough by any of that.
Great post but you forgot a key component it's the MONEY, marketing etc

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Back in the 2014 NFL Draft when Jerry wanted to select Johnny Manziel with their first-round pick, Stephen was steadfastly against that idea and convinced Jerry that an offensive lineman would fulfill a bigger need. After a tense back and forth between the two, Jerry finally agreed with his son. They decided on the BEAST of a lineman from Notre Dame Univ., Zach Martin at pick #16; It turned out to be a GREAT CHOICE as Martin will someday be enshrined in the NFL HOF., but sadly "Johnny Football" NFL career only lasted two seasons with the Cleveland Browns. I presume the lesson learned was ole Jerry realized that it's best to have a collaborative effort when making those types of decisions.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Jerry's been known in his years of owning this team, to never shy away from making moves. Over the last however many seasons, I guess Stephen has been given all authority to run this team. Is this team really set up to where Jerry may want someone, but Stephen says "no it's going to cost us too much, we need to think about the future" or whatever excuse he's giving to Jerry, in which Jerry says ok son, you're right!! I just don't get it. You'll hear Jerry say "if there's a player that I really like, it wouldn't stop me from getting that player" (paraphrasing). In Stephen's defense, we don't have to get every BIG NAME free agent, but at least put in some effort to bring guys in for a cup of coffee. Please give me your thoughts, can Stephen be overruled??? Doesn't Jerry want to see another Superbowl? He's not getting any younger!
We are three years with 12 wins.....the problem is, that we still arent close enough that a couple of players would take us to the Superbowl. Pretty much everyone, this time last year, was confident, with high expectations....

I was all in favor of trading for Henry (even as it would of cost us a 1st), but in hindsight that would of: Not gotten us past GB (run game was down the list of reasons for defeat), left us with no 1st Rd pick (No Guyton, no trade own = No Beebe).

Last year was the 'Watershed', that was the year to get to the Championship match and at least given the 9ers a game and build this year......that failure has resulted in this soft reset.