Why don't the Cowboys run more RPOs?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Right. But something like an RPO simplifies the read at times especially in crunch time when things are hectic.
Exactly. It's pretty much a 1 to 3 step drop, on average. It's either hand it off or get the quick pass off, depending on the pre-snap looks and men in the box.

cowboybish

Reaction score
Dak has historically struggled versus zone concepts, so I'm puzzled as to why the Cowboys don't implement more RPOs. It's essentially an extension of the running game, but it'd be a good way to get Lamb involved early, get the ball out of Dak's hands quicker, open up the running game, and so forth. We see the occasional read option, but Prescott and the coaching staff probably want to limit the exposure to hits with the ankle.

Thoughts?
Put Trey Lance in the backfield and hand off to him and he can either run or pass or just be a decoy

sbark

Reaction score
Well, I always thought that a RPO was the QB can either run the ball himself or pass depending on what he sees the defense in. That is why they call it Run, Pass Option. Maybe someone smarter than me can fill me in, I might have had it all wrong.
Yup
Hurts in Philly has run off of it plenty
But injured plenty also
Qb becomes a rb.....looses his protection

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak has historically struggled versus zone concepts, so I'm puzzled as to why the Cowboys don't implement more RPOs. It's essentially an extension of the running game, but it'd be a good way to get Lamb involved early, get the ball out of Dak's hands quicker, open up the running game, and so forth. We see the occasional read option, but Prescott and the coaching staff probably want to limit the exposure to hits with the ankle.

Thoughts?