Why don't the Cowboys run more RPOs?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak has historically struggled versus zone concepts, so I'm puzzled as to why the Cowboys don't implement more RPOs. It's essentially an extension of the running game, but it'd be a good way to get Lamb involved early, get the ball out of Dak's hands quicker, open up the running game, and so forth. We see the occasional read option, but Prescott and the coaching staff probably want to limit the exposure to hits with the ankle.

Thoughts?
Not true so stopped reading.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nope. Typically the run option is to the RB. You're thinking of the read option, where the QB either hands it off to the RB or keeps it himself and runs; he's just reading the edge defender to the side the QB would tuck the ball and run.
That's the wildcat lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, I always thought that a RPO was the QB can either run the ball himself or pass depending on what he sees the defense in. That is why they call it Run, Pass Option. Maybe someone smarter than me can fill me in, I might have had it all wrong.
Don't let him confuse us all. RPO is an option to keep it, pass it, or hand it off

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't let him confuse us all. RPO is an option to keep it, pass it, or hand it off
No, I get what he is saying, however, I have seen Dak do that, not much but what he is talking about, so I must have been thinking wrong. It does not really mean the QB either runs or passes. Watch his vid. Dak's been known for not reading the defense properly at time.

(hater time coming up)

HungryLion

Reaction score
RPO=. Run/pass option.

QB has the option to hand the ball off or pass the ball depending on the movement of the linebackers.

Read option=. Is always a running play. QB reads the DE and either hands the ball off or
Runs with it themselves based off the DE’s movement.

The answer OP’s question. I’m not sure. I wish the OC’s would. The Eagles pretty much rode the RPO to a Super Bowl in 2017. Nick Foles was highly successful with it during their Super Bowl run.

Of course the eagles running game was great that season so opposing defenses the LB’s were cheating up to the line like crazy.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
RPO=. Run/pass option.

QB has the option to hand the ball off or pass the ball depending on the movement of the linebackers.

Read option=. Is always a running play. QB reads the DE and either hands the ball off or

The answer OP’s question. I’m not sure. I wish the OC’s would. The Eagles pretty much rode the RPO to a Super Bowl in 2017. Nick Foles was highly successful with it during their Super Bowl run.

Of course the eagles running game was great that season so opposing defenses the LB’s were cheating up to the line like crazy.
It probably has more to do with McCarthy’s traditional WCO, no? I wish they would implement more, especially in situations when the running game isn’t going well or Dak is getting pressured. At least it puts more power in his hands with what to do with the ball.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It probably has more to do with McCarthy’s traditional WCO, no? I wish they would implement more, especially in situations when the running game isn’t going well or Dak is getting pressured. At least it puts more power in his hands with what to do with the ball.
Yeah I think the concept is more trying to win off timing and quick releases. The one negative about RPO is you aren’t able to get rid of the ball as fast.

Personally I think it would be nice to see more of as you say, because it puts a lot of pressure on opposing LB’s who get caught between a rock and hard place.

TheSport78

Reaction score
Yeah I think the concept is more trying to win off timing and quick releases. The one negative about RPO is you aren’t able to get rid of the ball as fast.

Personally I think it would be nice to see more of as you say, because it puts a lot of pressure on opposing LB’s who get caught between a rock and hard place.
I hear you. RPOs might help against aggressive defenses, especially in the playoffs (cough cough Niners cough cough).

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
We have a better chance of successful running the RKO with Randy Orton. Oh, we also don't have a capable RB1 to make this a play worth drawing up

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Technique, footwork, reads are all very different for your qb. Nothing against the plays but you really need the right personnel to run them with any frequency.

TheSport78

Reaction score
We have a better chance of successful running the RKO with Randy Orton. Oh, we also don't have a capable RB1 to make this a play worth drawing up
The Eagles did it with a RB by committee approach for their SB run. A better RB wouldn’t hurt, but it’s not a prerequisite/requirement to run it successfully, IMO.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
RPO=. Run/pass option.

The overall point is you're reading someone on the defense and making your decision

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's been afraid to do a lot of cutting since the injury and I do not blame him.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Preface: I've said this for years, but it bears saying again. Dak does a lot of things well, but the one thing that he absolutely does NOT do well is quickly process information.

The RPO requires one VERY important thing that the Dallas Cowboys simply do not have: A QB that can process information VERY quickly and make the right choice.

Dak can't do that. He would decide, based on pre-snap alignment, where to go with the ball. Any DC worth their salt would turn an RPO offense with Dak in charge into a horror show.