Why don't they just sign Dak already?

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Jerry always seems to play hard ball with certain players when it comes to money. You do the math. From Emmitt to now Dak. He gonna have to sign him so why keep playing around. Once signed then you know how much you have left for free agency.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
apparently Dak wants only a 4 year deal but Dallas wants to spread out the cap hit to a 5th year. That's the sticking point. Seems chicken **** to me. JUST SIGN HIM ALREADY. Plus, I think they need to up their offer per year. We are playing with fire letting him twist in the wind. Under the tag, come weds, its very possible we field offers for him from the top 3 teams in the draft. If Cincy calls us, would we listen? I think I would. It would need to be a crazy good haul/offer for me to trade Dak.
Some of y'all love average. Bet you drive a honda accord or the truck, minivan, etc equivalent lol

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Then you deserve credit, I thought it was nuts and would put a significant bet down that the contract ends up looking horrible for Miami.

He's 6'2, an ultra athlete, and is one of the best cover guys in the league..

Those guys are rare and Dallas just waived theirs goodbye.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He's 6'2, an ultra athlete, and is one of the best cover guys in the league..

Those guys are rare and Dallas just waived theirs goodbye.

I think a lot of that was Richard's scheme. In a different defense I think his play will drop off.

erod

Reaction score
I think a lot of that was Richard's scheme. In a different defense I think his play will drop off.
So Jones was the only one to benefit from Richard's scheme?

Because the rest of the secondary sucked.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Oooh, butt kicking during a freezing and rainy/sloppy game against the Patriots where even our receivers and RB were struggling to gain any yards. Yeah, that's Dak's fault!?!?
:facepalm:
Injured both with a torn shoulder labrum and a fractured index finger...BOTH IN HIS THROWING ARM/HAND. But...but...but that's still Dak's fault!?!?

Oooh...oooh...oooh...the Saints game where our receivers were dropping passes or committing stupid penalties...and where our dumb kicker who could make 63 yarders BUT MISS 30-40 YARDERS...so we lost by 2 points. But...but...but...that's Dak's fault!?!?

One's "brilliance" really shines in these forums. :facepalm:

Its kind of a catch 22 for Dak supporters isn't it? They have to play up how super important he is and at the same time, point out that everyone else is determining wins and losses. Its really not consistent but that's the only way people can justify giving the QB of an 8-8 team that much money.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Its kind of a catch 22 for Dak supporters isn't it? They have to play up how super important he is and at the same time, point out that everyone else is determining wins and losses. Its really not consistent but that's the only way people can justify giving the QB of an 8-8 team that much money.
I hope the Cowboys do it your way and get rid of Dak so it can bite them in the arse... and I can come here and tell you, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

Flamma

Reaction score
Who are they kidding with these negotiations?

They know they are going to sign Dak no matter what and they know his price is only going to rise..

So why play this little game? For attention?

The Jones's ALWAYS cave during negotiations.

They caved to Zeke 2 years before his deal was up, they caved to Amari Cooper yesterday, and you know they will eventually fold and give Dak whatever he wants as well.

Stop all of this stupid posturing Jerry/Stephen and just sign Dak. Keep this country club in tact and lock down this roster that brings mediocre results.

You'll almost certainly get in the playoffs every year now since almost half the league gets in and we all know you have the recipe for mediocrity.

I'm with you on this. Jerry is more concerned with what he has to dish out than the Cowboys cap in general. I've mentioned this before, the Zeke contract is actually semi Cowboys friendly, but very unfriendly to Jerry's wallet. I'm thinking he doesn't want to repeat that with dak. The exclusive tag is a joke. No way he should have done that.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Dak wants the most money possible so yeah he is going to hold up.. The Cowboys are throwing up beach balls for him and he is hitting it out of the park.

If you want to win on a deal bring Brady in for a visit.. Bring in one of these FA's... Then let's see if Dak wants to lose the Cowboys brand..

Dallas isn't serious in negotiations and that is why Dak's team is just playing the long game.

That's really difficult because Dak in on a tag, taking up $33 million. So they can't offer anothee $30 million to another qb. And if you rescind the tag Dak is a free agent, which I'm sure he would be happy with.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
After looking at the contracts signed this offseason. They might be rethinking what was offered.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They know they are going to sign Dak no matter what and they know his price is only going to rise..

They caved to Zeke 2 years before his deal was up, they caved to Amari Cooper yesterday, and you know they will eventually fold and give Dak whatever he wants as well.

Stop all of this stupid posturing Jerry/Stephen and just sign Dak. Keep this country club in tact and lock down this roster that brings mediocre results.

You'll almost certainly get in the playoffs every year now since almost half the league gets in and we all know you have the recipe for mediocrity.

What difference does it make? He is already going to get a max contract. He won't get more even if he wins the Super Bowl (not more as a percent of the NFL cap). Russell Wilson got 18.6% of the cap for the year he signed. That would be about 37M per for 2020.

Wood

Reaction score
Jerry always seems to play hard ball with certain players when it comes to money. You do the math. From Emmitt to now Dak. He gonna have to sign him so why keep playing around. Once signed then you know how much you have left for free agency.

very easy to read Jerry. He pays money (probably too much) for star players who show elite skill set for their position. Dak doesn't really have single trait that is elite and Jones just don't jump at over-paying for those players. I think $33 mill year is their max offer for Dak. I see them franchising him for 2 years or letting him go next year if he doesn't lower his number.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Because it takes two parties to make an agreement?

1972COWBOY

Reaction score

Seems to me its Dak thats playing hardball and trying to squeeze as much out of JJ that he can.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They always cave because that is what they do.

They may know he isn't worth it but they will sign him anyways.

Of course they think he’s worth it. It makes no sense to sign him if they don’t. It’s not as if there is some voodoo curse compelling them to sign players they don’t think are worth it.

Now, whether Cooper actually proves to be worth it remains to be seen.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Of course they think he’s worth it. It makes no sense to sign him if they don’t. It’s not as if there is some voodoo curse compelling them to sign players they don’t think are worth it.

Now, whether Cooper actually proves to be worth it remains to be seen.
Cooper is worth it because he makes Dak worth it. Without Cooper Dak might not even be the starter here now

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I hope the Cowboys do it your way and get rid of Dak so it can bite them in the arse... and I can come here and tell you, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

Personally, I think the Cowboys are screwed now that Dak wants a ridiculous contract. If they get rid of him, it will be bad. If they keep him, it will be bad. I'm not one of the ones that thinks that Dak is terrible and is easily replaceable. He just isn't good enough to carry a team by himself (as you accurately noted) and giving him a massive deal makes it significantly harder to put a great team around him.

Hope springs eternal though. Hopefully Mike McCarthy can radically improve things and we have a great draft.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Personally, I think the Cowboys are screwed now that Dak wants a ridiculous contract. If they get rid of him, it will be bad. If they keep him, it will be bad. I'm not one of the ones that thinks that Dak is terrible and is easily replaceable. He just isn't good enough to carry a team by himself (as you accurately noted) and giving him a massive deal makes it significantly harder to put a great team around him.

Hope springs eternal though. Hopefully Mike McCarthy can radically improve things and we have a great draft.
When did I ever say Dak can't carry the team? I've seen him carry the team many times throughout the past 4 years since he was drafted.

blueblood70

Reaction score

why dont DAK just SIGN the deal in front of him.. F him brah..look around the league rivers 25, TB 30, Teddy 21, brees 23, Kirk restructure lowers AAV by starters, Big Ben as well.. Im betting NE finds a brisett or other QB under 25 etc etc idc what they try and claim the market is but Dak can choke on the tag for all I care or sign the latest deal he was offered.. im not sweating it..

Dak picked bad year to dig in IMO he went 8-8 as our supreme leader regardless of the reasons, hes been offered a veru solid deal..this is NOT a FO issue..If im the FO I apply more pressure and get Jurts around 3 or 4 and make him the backup and possibly groomed for 2021.. Im telling daks agents the last offer is it and no more will be offred..