Why draft a back 4th overall if you’re not willing to pay him?

Skillit

Reaction score
If it was guaranteed? Of course, silly question.

However, let's turn it around. Paying these guys decreases your super bowl window. Would you let Zeke sit out if your window increases from 3 years to 10?
I’ll bite- paying them may decrease the length of the window, but in no way does adding Zeke no significantly increase our chances of post season success in the near term.

Of course it isn’t guaranteed- but when was the last tome you could say the boys had a real shot?

I’d trade a few bad years down the road for a few years of chances....plus- the FO gets it now. What is the last bad move they made?

I trust them to rebuild quickly now.

Reaction score
The ideal scenario with Zeke was to draft him 4th overall, wear him out for 5 years and let him walk in FA, getting back a 3rd round compensatory pick. But Zeke and his agents are smart enough to know the Cowboys might do that, which is why he's demanding an extension 2 years early.

Personally, I think with how young and good Zeke is, he's worth paying top back money to and then letting him walk after this next contract they're about to give him. But the absolute ideal scenario was definitely to use him up on the rookie deal.

vicjagger

Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.

I don't understand your post.

The dude is under contract for 2 more years. They have no, zero, zip, nada reason to pay him early, especially when they have other key contracts expiring sooner.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys thought they would be in this situation they are in today. Nobody imagined at the time Dak would be the caliber QB he is right now, and were probably assuming they would have a ton of cap room by the time the Zeke Elliots contract was up in 2 years. They probably figured Romo had a few more years in him, and would go after a starting QB in the draft after a few years which would have a couple year gap between Zeke and the QB on the rookie scale.

They also weren't figuring that Byron Jones, Anthony Brown, Maliek Collins, and a bunch of players were not going to be guys who were going to exceed their draft grade.

Where they messed up is by trading for Cooper, because he puts a huge stranglehold on cap space, and IMO if Zeke doesn't take a deal the Cowboys feel is right he will be the odd-man-out considering how he has handled his career off the field, and not showing up to camp. The Cowboys have had his back, and he has turned his back on them, and yes you can argue the fact that they planned on using him up to get rid of him but IMO he is making that claim justifiable at this point.

If I'm the Cowboys I don't pay him Gurley money, draft his replacement next year and let him come back to the table when he realizes oh crap I can't ride this out 2 years straight of not playing and hit FA and expect to hit the jackpot in FA.
He either takes a lesser deal, or he walks, but if I'm the Cowboys I do not give Zeke what he wants based on his personality on and off the field. This allows you to sign your guys like Dak and Amari, and some of your other defensive players who are up for contracts in the next few years. The Cowboys are in great position they are going to add multiple 3rd round comp picks over the next few years to fill those holes if these players play as we expect them too.

Zeke isn't going to win this war, and he is putting himself deeper and deeper in the hole the longer this goes on.