Why draft a back 4th overall if you’re not willing to pay him?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Most of the guarantee has been paid anyway. The 5th year (next year) is a team option, so he just had to make the team this year. Zeke barely plays in preseason anyway, so what are the odds he got hurt and didn't get the money?

Extremely high , ... for his agent ; I suppose .

Skillit

Reaction score
Yup. Takes a team to win, not one player, no matter how great.

That’s a different situation. There was basically garbage around him.

This team is a SB or bust team. Can we do it without Z? (Granted- we are not favorites to do it with him) but I don’t think we can control the clock without Z.

I’m not out/down on Dak. Troy went 0-2 in Emmit’s holdout season with Irvin, a great D and one of the best O lines ever assembled. So it’s not an indictment of Dak. We need Z to win it all. That’s why I say pay him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.

They are being prudent because he has 2 years, 2 YEARS, left and has had brushes with the law. Not a model citizen. They are being smart. Finally. I hope Jerry goes all the way.

kskboys

Reaction score

This team is a SB or bust team. Can we do it without Z? (Granted- we are not favorites to do it with him) but I don’t think we can control the clock without Z.

I’m not out/down on Dak. Troy went 0-2 in Emmit’s holdout season with Irvin, a great D and one of the best O lines ever assembled. So it’s not an indictment of Dak. We need Z to win it all. That’s why I say pay him.
I think if we pay him what he wants, our window slams shut in the next 2-3 years.

Skillit

Reaction score
I think if we pay him what he wants, our window slams shut in the next 2-3 years.

You may be right.....but the cap increases over time as well. It comes down to this—

Would you endure a few years at 5-11 for a ring or two? Or at least 3-4 years of deep playoff runs?

Skillit

Reaction score

C’mon- you know what I’m saying. As currently constructed—we are thinking championship. We are not an odds on favorite- the media doesn’t love us until we’re in first place by two games, then we’re back, while the Eeegs are picked to just run away with it.?!?

I think we are in the same boat as the rams—you ride this as long as you can.

Them

Reaction score
Why draft a back 4th overall if you’re not willing to pay him?..

I don't really understand the point of this question...Yes Zeke was drafted, but he still had to make the team.
Then he signed a rookie contract (5 years). Zeke has fulfilled his contract for the most part, and JJ has stood up for Zeke a lot. Obviously Zeke is 2 years away from the original contracts termination...Dallas has many other player contracts in the works. Imagine what those other players will want if JJ just completely caves in to Zeke's demands...$$$ Chaos.
I want Zeke on the team. But if he wants to rock the boat on a team that is finally sailing on a ship that might stay afloat all season, then he should take whatever decent offer
JJ and the Cowboys submit ...(if he truly is only worried about being hurt or whatever)...IMMHO of course
:star:

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
did ZEKE and agent sign the contract in 2016? YES. Does he have 2 seasons remaining on his deal? YES. What makes anyone think in the world we live in called reality, he is being treated unfair? He is due 3 mil in 2019 and over 9 mil in 2020. HARDLY CHUMP CHANGE. His agent is asking too much and I am guessing they are hoping Dallas caves in and trades him to a team willing to sign him for a max contract...and eat at least 1 year of his salary. My theory is the agent is trying to get him out of Dallas. ITS A CHICKEN **** WAY TO DO BUSINESS.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I have little time to look over our cap situation...but the simple math says we aren't even close to being able to afford all 3 max signings this year. Cannot be done. SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED. Math says somebody has to either wait til next year, or be traded.

LittleD

Reaction score

Then just figure and bet on bust. History is on the bust side. Garrett & Moore combo almost guarantees the bust side. My money is on "BUST"!

LittleD

Reaction score
did ZEKE and agent sign the contract in 2016? YES. Does he have 2 seasons remaining on his deal? YES. What makes anyone think in the world we live in called reality, he is being treated unfair? He is due 3 mil in 2019 and over 9 mil in 2020. HARDLY CHUMP CHANGE. His agent is asking too much and I am guessing they are hoping Dallas caves in and trades him to a team willing to sign him for a max contract...and eat at least 1 year of his salary. My theory is the agent is trying to get him out of Dallas. ITS A CHICKEN **** WAY TO DO BUSINESS.

Yea, someone else gets it! No deal for Zeke...no trade for Zeke. Stephen gives him the Melvin treatment and Zeke will eventually come a begging.

LittleD

Reaction score
Why draft a back 4th overall if you’re not willing to pay him?..

I don't really understand the point of this question...Yes Zeke was drafted, but he still had to make the team.
Then he signed a rookie contract (5 years). Zeke has fulfilled his contract for the most part, and JJ has stood up for Zeke a lot. Obviously Zeke is 2 years away from the original contracts termination...Dallas has many other player contracts in the works. Imagine what those other players will want if JJ just completely caves in to Zeke's demands...$$$ Chaos.
I want Zeke on the team. But if he wants to rock the boat on a team that is finally sailing on a ship that might stay afloat all season, then he should take whatever decent offer
JJ and the Cowboys submit ...(if he truly is only worried about being hurt or whatever)...IMMHO of course
:star:

That's what player insurance contracts are for. Zeke should know this.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You're not getting the point. The yards mean nothing it's the effectiveness of the player, teams didn't gameplan for McFadden or Murray. Nobody ever said they were scared of either of them. Wasn't nobody afraid of the play action with those two.

LOL.. Yeah, it's me who doesn't get it. Sure, your story, you should tell it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You are right, this is about business and the business side of the NFL says Zeke is way underpaid for the production he puts up. That is just a fact.

The Cowboys know he is way under paid as well, that is why they are out there saying that the Gurley deal is the starting point in the negotiations. I dont see Jerry or Steven or anybody else taking the hard line you are.

The Cowboys will make Zeke the highest paid RB in the NFL before the season starts, and it really doesn't matter if you or me agree with it. Its Jerry's team and he really doesn't care if you dont approve.

I don't agree. The business side of this says that you take advantage of the over production because once Zeke is an FA, the team is at a disadvantage and will likely have to over pay. You don't pay more then you have to, before you have to, in business. That makes no sense at all and I've personally never seen it, unless there is a compelling reason to do so. For the Cowboys, there is no compelling reason to do this. Zeke is locked up for another two years and really, 4 years should the Cowboys decide to extend it. I just don't buy into that at all and if the Cowboys believed that, Zeke would already have a new contract in place, IMO. I suppose we will see how this works out.

kskboys

Reaction score
You may be right.....but the cap increases over time as well. It comes down to this—

Would you endure a few years at 5-11 for a ring or two? Or at least 3-4 years of deep playoff runs?
If it was guaranteed? Of course, silly question.

However, let's turn it around. Paying these guys decreases your super bowl window. Would you let Zeke sit out if your window increases from 3 years to 10?

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL.. Yeah, it's me who doesn't get it. Sure, your story, you should tell it.

You don't, you don't understand football. Yards are hollow. It's how effective you are. It's that simple . You need a lesson in football....lol

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Unnamed sources say Zeke has lost all faith in Garrett , and wants to 'take his talents' to a team with a real head coach .

This is why he is a 'no-show' and why negotiations are stuck .