Why DT Hill should be the pick, not a S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Cons:
Gap discipline is poor.
Often focused too much on getting up the field and less on maintaining and filling his gap. Gave up big plays in the running game due to the poor gap discipline. Inconsistent pad level leads to Hill getting turned and driven off the ball by stronger, more physical offensive lineman. Lacks a true pass rush plan at times which will lead to lack of consistency as a rusher. Struggled to the find the football at times, which would have helped bring up his sack and tackles for loss totals over his career at UCF. Struggles to anchor and spends more time on the ground than you’d like to see with a player of his upper and body strength. Career arch at UCF has been a interesting one. Was by far the best defensive player for UCF in 2018, but started only one game. Work ethic and character has been put in question by former coaches and scouts around the league.

I'd rather have a guy with less talent than a talented guy with those attributes. I'd pass.

JayFord

Reaction score
I'd rather have a guy with less talent than a talented guy with those attributes. I'd pass.

My exact sentiments

A DT with poor gap control is a pass for me...

If you can man a gap you let Quinn and Lawrence go one on one with the tackles and I like those odds

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I don’t get all the angst.

People fall into the trap(as they do every draft) of thinking the player the guy was in college is the player he’ll be as a pro.

All of these guys need development.

The 3rd round starts at pick #65.

Our 2nd round pick is #58.

Think about that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Trysten Hill should be the pick at 58. We should not reach for a S (unless Thornhill or Rapp is there, which are not reaches IMO).

Here is my reasoning:
-Hill fits the athletic profile of the 3-techniques we like. He measured almost 6'3", 308, 33 3/8" reach (good), 5.04 40yard (good), 4.38 shuttle (best DT overall), 7.70 3 cone (bad), 35" vert (best DT overall), 9'7" long (2nd best DT overall), 28 bench (good). By comparison, DT Quinnen Williams (#3 overall by NYJ) ran a 4.83 40, 30.5" vert, and 9'4" broad & DT Christian Wilkins (#13 overall by MIA), ran a 5.04 40, 4.55 shuttle, 29.5 vert, and 8'11" long. There is no denying that Hill is an exceptional athlete for his size.

-We have a real need at 3-Tech with Maleik Collins in a contract year and Tyrone Crawford a potential cap casualty next year. I actually think the 3-Tech need is greater than the Safety need, especially for this defense. We all saw what the Rams did running the ball down our throats. Would have been nice to have another disruptor at DT.

-While it is right to have concerns about Hill's coachability, work ethic and career arc at USF, I am willing to give him a pass. We have no idea how the switch in coaching staff's affected him. While we all would like to think that we would be the same employee if our entire management team got replaced, some of us would not. And we're talking about a 20-year old kid. What is not disputed though, is ON THE FIELD, he gives 100% effort. He chases and runs down plays far from him. To me, the on the field work ethic says more about a player's football character than dust ups with coaching staffs off the field.

-Here is a scouting report from BTB:
Pros:
Twitched up, explosive athlete that fires off the ball at an extremely quick pace. First step and initial burst allows Hill to win with speed on a consistent basis. Once beating the guard with speed, Hill is able to flatten out his rush path by flipping his hips and getting his lead foot facing the quarterback. Plays much more flexible on tape than his 3-cone at the combine suggests. Plays with an extremely high motor when rushing the quarterback, chasing down running plays from the backside, and chasing down ball carriers down the field. Lived in the backfield at UCF despite the less than ideal sack numbers. Active and powerful hands allows him to walk offensive lineman back with his bullrush, but also counter with a push-pull. Upper body strength leaves offensive lineman guessing, which then results in poor weigh distribution on initial pass sets. Blew up a ton of inside running plays by penetrating the pocket as the running back receives the handoff. Squat, thick build that allows him to play with natural leverage when rushing up the field. Very athletic for 308-lb interior lineman. Showcased a push-pull, arm-over, and bull rush as his three top pass rush moves.

Cons:
Gap discipline is poor. Often focused too much on getting up the field and less on maintaining and filling his gap. Gave up big plays in the running game due to the poor gap discipline. Inconsistent pad level leads to Hill getting turned and driven off the ball by stronger, more physical offensive lineman. Lacks a true pass rush plan at times which will lead to lack of consistency as a rusher. Struggled to the find the football at times, which would have helped bring up his sack and tackles for loss totals over his career at UCF. Struggles to anchor and spends more time on the ground than you’d like to see with a player of his upper and body strength. Career arch at UCF has been a interesting one. Was by far the best defensive player for UCF in 2018, but started only one game. Work ethic and character has been put in question by former coaches and scouts around the league.

Overall Review:
In a day in age where teams are looking for their interior defensive lineman to live in the backfield, Trysten Hill is a perfect mold for that role. Hill is one of the more explosive defensive linemen in this years draft class holding the best vertical, best 20-yard shuttle, and second best broad-jump, and for 300lb + defensive lineman at the combine. Would fit perfectly in Rod Marinelli’s defense as a one-gapping 3-technique. Reminds a bit of Maliek Collins when coming out of Nebraska, but athletic traits gives Hill a higher ceiling as a pass rusher. Athleticism, upfield penetrating skills, and pass rush ability are never questioned with Hill, but his consistency as a run defender, pad level, lack of instincts, and character concerns may force him down the board a few rounds later than his tape would suggest.

I believe that Hill, in a rotation at 3-Tech with M. Collins and C. Covington, will have more of an impact this year, and long term, than a Safety, who might not start over Iloka or Heath.

I could care less about measurables. I want football players that show up on the field and on tape.

Don't know much about the kid, but I would think by the end of the 2nd round most good DT's are all gone and would be reaches.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If you want to stop the Rams from running down our throats then draft Dylan Mack.

Thornhill in the 2nd
Trysten Hill in the 3rd. I see no one else talking about taking him in the 2nd.
Take the two fourths and trade up to get Dylan Mack.
in the 5th get a RB
in the 7th get a project CB Derrek Thomas or Chris Westry.

Covington was brought in to help with run defense. What the defense needs is a disruptive pass rusher on the interior. We've got rotational guys, but we don't have a guy that teams have a hard time stopping down after down. If we take Hill, it's because we believe he can be that kind of player. I think the skills are there for it, but he's got to learn how to use them.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Covington was brought in to help with run defense. What the defense needs is a disruptive pass rusher on the interior. We've got rotational guys, but we don't have a guy that teams have a hard time stopping down after down. If we take Hill, it's because we believe he can be that kind of player. I think the skills are there for it, but he's got to learn how to use them.

The post I responded to was saying we need to take Hill to stop teams from running down our throats. Covington shld make a nice rotational player but Dylan Mack is a huge fireplug that also has some pass rushing ability which is rare from a 1 tech.

I like Trysten Hill as a 3rd or 4th rounder. Pick 58 is too rich.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
What Rod wants Rod gets.
That is the problem.

I am less than impressed with his abilities to judge talent.

He would rather get garbage and coach them up so it helps his job security and image.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The post I responded to was saying we need to take Hill to stop teams from running down our throats. Covington shld make a nice rotational player but Dylan Mack is a huge fireplug that also has some pass rushing ability which is rare from a 1 tech.

I like Trysten Hill as a 3rd or 4th rounder. Pick 58 is too rich.

Woods and Covington are our 1-techs. Covington also probably can play some 3-tech, but they are primarily run plugs. Mack would be more of the same.

3-tech is the bell cow in this defense. You need a guy there who is consistently disruptive. We don't got one. We've got a few guys who can give that guy some plays off. Without finding a bell cow in this draft, we're going to be depending on Kerry Hyder to be able to provide a consistent pass rush from the inside or we're going to need Maliek Collins to be healthy and step up his play.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
What Rod wants Rod gets.
Good God please no.Randell Wren and Khalen
Saunders offer a similar skill set as hill and may be better prospects. All this hype and chatter about hill has me nervous

Alexander

Reaction score
Good God please no.Randell Wren and Khalen
Sanders offer a similar skill set as hill and may be better prospects. All this hype and chatter about hill has me nervous
I am more about the value. Top 60 player? Absolutely not.

There are 25 players slated to go in the third. He is not 26.

Sydla

Reaction score
That is the problem.

I am less than impressed with his abilities to judge talent.

He would rather get garbage and coach them up so it helps his job security and image.

The assets we have put into the DT spot is embarrassing.

Alexander

Reaction score
Daniel Jeremiah is profiling Nasir Adderley as a possible Cowboy fit.

What if he somehow tumbles?

Wait, why am I doing this to myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.