Why football over baseball?

starfan1

Reaction score
I love baseball. I get as excited watching a Rangers game as the Cowboys.

ive lived here in dfw for 5 years now and haven’t got to a game. For that matter haven’t made a Mavs game either . Heard the new stadium rocks

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
From everything I heard Drew Henson loved baseball more than football but he failed at baseball and went back to football. He ended up failing at football. I never knew he ended his NFL career with the 0-16 Lions in 2008. Had he dedicated himself to football things might have turned out better for him.

DonaldM

Reaction score
Watching grass grow, watching paint dry and watching a baseball game are three activities that could be used to torture me. All three activities are among the most boring activities that are known to man.
Are you ok?

Motorola

Reaction score
Talking about Wilson, Murray, Drew Henson lol.
I get it they loved football more. But you could play second base and make a killing and not get killed. Just a scotch in....
Since the beginning of the NFL in 1920, fewer than 70 athletes played in both the MLB and NFL.
Among the first were Jim Thorpe and Geoge Halas.
Only seven players have accomplished the feat since 1970.
We all know of Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and Brian Jordan.
Two more are D.J. Dozier and Matt Kinzer.

And the last two players that did both___former Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks.
• Chad Hutchinson, UDFA 2002.
• Drew Henson, acquired in a 2004 trade from the Houston Texans (who drafted him a year earlier - but Henson never played for them).

DonaldM

Reaction score
Question answered. Quicker to pay day. Thanks to whoever it was. I owe you a beer

RS12

Reaction score
A lot of guys who are really good at baseball never make it out of the minors. I believe 60% of first round MLB picks never make the show. That's a high fail rate.

Motorola

Reaction score
True, it’s fun to play, and takes considerable skill at all levels.
From early on, I couldn't get the hang of baseball...partly because in the time and place I grew up in, opportunites to learn and play little league baseball were very limited.

shabazz

Reaction score
Funny. And whatever it is 160 games.

True……at least the players don’t have to utilize “load management” to play hookey from games…..nobody would believe they need the rest

kskboys

Reaction score
A lot of guys who are really good at baseball never make it out of the minors. I believe 60% of first round MLB picks never make the show. That's a high fail rate.
The % of football players who never make it might be even higher. At least baseball pays them for trying. NFL does not.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Since the beginning of the NFL in 1920, fewer than 70 athletes played in both the MLB and NFL.
Among the first were Jim Thorpe and Geoge Halas.
Only seven players have accomplished the feat since 1970.
We all know of Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and Brian Jordan.
Two more are D.J. Dozier and Matt Kinzer.

And the last two players that did both___former Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks.
• Chad Hutchinson, UDFA 2002.
• Drew Henson, acquired in a 2004 trade from the Houston Texans (who drafted him a year earlier - but Henson never played for them).
Wow, Chad Hutchinson's Cowboy career is way better than his MLB career. BB Reference shows Chad was in three games with an ERA of 24.75 and a WHIP of 3.75. He gave up an average of one home run per inning pitched.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
From early on, I couldn't get the hang of baseball...partly because in the time and place I grew up in, opportunites to learn and play little league baseball were very limited.
They say the hardest thing in sports is hitting major league pitching. When you are hitting .300 you are successful on 30% of your at bats (just counting hits) and considered a very good hitter.

Motorola

Reaction score
They say the hardest thing in sports is hitting major league pitching. When you are hitting .300 you are successful on 30% of your at bats (just counting hits) and considered a very good hitter.
But in basketball, a player is very substandard \ poor \ inferior if their shooting percentage is below 40% for 2-point attempts, and 35% for 3-point shots.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
But in basketball, a player is very substandard \ poor \ inferior if their shooting percentage is below 40% for 2-point attempts, and 35% for 3-point shots.
But at least in basketball, you’re actually being defended and there is a good chance you are moving either before or during the shot. Batting in baseball, you are just standing there waiting for a pitch.

Motorola

Reaction score
But at least in basketball, you’re actually being defended and there is a good chance you are moving either before or during the shot. Batting in baseball, you are just standing there waiting for a pitch.
60 feet, 6 inches from mound to plate.
At least a half-dozen genuine different pitches at the top-levels of the sport----all with some alernative/modified deliveries.
Coming at you with speeds that vary from 77 to 102 MPH.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
60 feet, 6 inches from mound to plate.
At least a half-dozen genuine different pitches at the top-levels of the sport----all with some alernative/modified deliveries.
Coming at you with speeds that vary from 77 to 102 MPH.
That’s why it’s considered the most difficult thing to do in sports. And that’s not counting the fear factor of getting hit in the face or sensitive area.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think you are not a baseball fan!!!!

Think of it this way. Any sport you are not a fan of is going to be boring to you. You don't see the action in baseball because you don't care for the sport.