Why Hasn't Dalton Shultz Signed A Long Term Contract Yet

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
There's no way he's playing this year under the franchise tag 10.9 million.. He isn't worth it. From his point of view it's 10.9 million guaranteed for one year, He can bet on himself and get paid again next year. Dallas can A. sign him and get the cap hit down. B. Draft a replacement C. Sign or trade for another TE. Then rescind the tag.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
He already signed it. Whether they work out a deal by July 15th remains to be seen, but rescinding the tag is no longer an option.

Thanks.. Didn't know. If I was him I would of signed before the tag contract ink dried...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There's no way he's playing this year under the franchise tag 10.9 million.. He isn't worth it. From his point of view it's 10.9 million guaranteed for one year, He can bet on himself and get paid again next year. Dallas can A. sign him and get the cap hit down. B. Draft a replacement C. Sign or trade for another TE. Then rescind the tag.
well, what is he worth? 8,9M per year (according to fans). McKeon is a JAG at this point. we lose cooper, wilson, 2/5 of the recieving group with great production between them (30%). losing Schultz would have really hampered the pass catching group (the three had about 50% of total recieving yards), and specially leave us thin at TE.....

three other TEs similar to Schultz also got tagged by their teams this year, so there wasn't much in the market and please please please PLEASE don't mention OJ Howard, given he is at best a half decent back up and was relegated to 3rd string duties on his old team who didn't want to keep him. He got a minimal contract to be back up with Bills.

schultz in terms of production was 4,5th in the league in most categories. he is not elite. he is not Kittle, Kelce or Mark Andrews. those guys are in the 15M per year range. Pitts was a top 10 pick and on his rookie deal. Schultz is right behind them. so 10.8M, for second tier TEs is not too bad. given we haven't given him a long term deal nor are there any talks that I am aware of, tells me we probably will draft a TE, see how McKeon progresses and in the mean time make sure we don't create another hole in offense. there are only so many draft picks. so giving up an extra, what? couple of million is not a bad approach. this was one off season move I didn't disagree with it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He already signed it. Whether they work out a deal by July 15th remains to be seen, but rescinding the tag is no longer an option.

Wow, did not know that. Part of the CBA now I guess.
Another mistake from the FO, possibly. We will see. I say let him play under the tag, and let him prove worthy of a longer term contract. Unless somehow they can get him extends on. a team friendly deal by the 15th of July.

John813

Reaction score
Knowing this FO they want him long term but are too stubborn to finalize the deal and will pay more later.
Hopefully I’m wrong but we’ve seen this song and dance before

blueblood70

Reaction score
wrong

sorry but with WR and other contract up at 30 per and his stats last year out him in the top 3 of TE production 10.9 to see if hes worth a LTD without big commitment..yes hes worth that..

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/salaries/breakdown/2022/tight-end/

JBS

Reaction score
OP doesn’t know that they only tagged him so they could have time to find his replacement. He’s gone next year. Not too hard to understand.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Schultz is not a TE, he is the 4th WR that is a descent receiver and the "check down charlie". Dallas paid him this year because they don't have anyone any better.

If they can draft a TE that can catch and block, it will increase their ability to run the ball. Dynamic TE's that can do both well, are much like 1T's that can both stop the run and rush the passer....Hard to find, but everyone thinks they aren't that important.

The value to a team is much higher than the stats provide.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Not sure they've offered him a long-term deal. His blocking was pretty bad last year, so they may not want to pay him what he thinks he is worth on a long-term deal. This draft is pretty deep in tight end quality, so I expect us to get one in the third or fourth to be the second TE this year and possibly No. 1 next year. Schultz would need to show that he deserves to be paid like a top TE for them to keep him in that case (unless the drafted TE bombs).

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He’ll play on the tag this year. Next off-season Stephen will tell him to go find his value on the open market before he makes him an offer. They’ll then get out priced and Schultz will say he wanted to be in Dallas and would have played for less, but the Cowboys never made him an offer. Stephen will counter with they didn’t think they could afford him.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
His cap hit really isn’t a big deal at this point. The cowboys have plenty of cap space, and seem to have minimal intentions to use it.

Brax

Reaction score
Why wouldn't he play on the tag, another good year he gets to shop for the best long-term deal. If he's smart he grabs the money and looks to next year.

Motorola

Reaction score
Three months to go until the signing deadline (July 15th ). Plenty of time for haggling.

CWR

Reaction score

I think they like him, but don't love him. He probably wants more long term money than we want to spend. I don't expect he's a Cowboy come next season