Why Hasn't Dalton Shultz Signed A Long Term Contract Yet

blueblood70

Reaction score
Schultz is not a TE, he is the 4th WR that is a descent receiver and the "check down charlie". Dallas paid him this year because they don't have anyone any better.

If they can draft a TE that can catch and block, it will increase their ability to run the ball. Dynamic TE's that can do both well, are much like 1T's that can both stop the run and rush the passer....Hard to find, but everyone thinks they aren't that important.

The value to a team is much higher than the stats provide.
10.9 YPC says otherwise its right there with top TE production clueless responses around here go check his numbers top 3 for all TES..

Written must have been HOF check down Charlie he hardly ever averaged over 10,,

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he went to the back burner once he signed the tag. They knew they were losing Cooper and Wilson so they needed to do something with Schultz as a stop gap and still have time to do a longer term deal after the draft. We'll see what they come away with in the draft and they could just let the tag stay.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There's no way he's playing this year under the franchise tag 10.9 million.. He isn't worth it. From his point of view it's 10.9 million guaranteed for one year, He can bet on himself and get paid again next year. Dallas can A. sign him and get the cap hit down. B. Draft a replacement C. Sign or trade for another TE. Then rescind the tag.

Im sure the Cowboys want to see what he can do for another year while trying to replace him with a draft pick in the middle rounds this year. Why pay him big money long term when you can give him 10 million for one year and let it play out?

As far as Shultz he doesnt have much choice. Is he going to hold out and not play? At the moment he is the #2 option in a great Cowboys offense and one of Dak's favorite targets. It would be in his interest to play for 10 million and have another good year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
10.9 YPC says otherwise its right there with top TE production clueless responses around here go check his numbers top 3 for all TES..

The bottom line is that Shultz is Dak's top or 2nd favorite target. And he is a big weapon in 3rd downs and GL. Cooper was expendable with Lamb as the #1 and Shultz as a top target.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
His cap hit really isn’t a big deal at this point. The cowboys have plenty of cap space, and seem to have minimal intentions to use it.

TE's have a much smaller price point for franchise tags then WR's. It was a great move to be honest.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Schultz is not a TE, he is the 4th WR that is a descent receiver and the "check down charlie". Dallas paid him this year because they don't have anyone any better.

If they can draft a TE that can catch and block, it will increase their ability to run the ball. Dynamic TE's that can do both well, are much like 1T's that can both stop the run and rush the passer....Hard to find, but everyone thinks they aren't that important.

Shultz was the #2 receiver in this offense with 78 receptions. Cooper had 68, Lamb had 79. He led the team in TD's. You could actually argue that Shultz was Dak's favorite target.

Cooper averaged 12 ypc and Shultz was at 10. That is hardly a check down guy. I bet if we looked at the numbers that Shultz was also #1 or #2 on 3rd down receptions.

He was actually a more important part of the offense then Cooper was. Cooper was the #3 receiving option on this team.

Dalmations202

Reaction score

Check down means he didn't run the big seam routes, not that he wasn't a good receiver.

He just wasn't a big enough threat with Coop drawing double teams, CD needing attention and Gallup getting jump balls.

Regardless of his YPC numbers you state, he can't block, and he was at best the #4 option.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Shultz was the #2 receiver in this offense with 78 receptions. Cooper had 68, Lamb had 79. He led the team in TD's. You could actually argue that Shultz was Dak's favorite target.

Cooper averaged 12 ypc and Shultz was at 10. That is hardly a check down guy. I bet if we looked at the numbers that Shultz was also #1 or #2 on 3rd down receptions.

He was actually a more important part of the offense then Cooper was. Cooper was the #3 receiving option on this team.

No just because he caught the ball on 5-7 yard outs and fell for 10 when they didn't cover him because there was a 1 in Coop being double teamed, and a 1a in CD that they were trying to double, and a #2 in Gallup that needed attention, and they couldn't forget about Zeke coming out of the backfield.

Schultz was at best the #4 receiver on almost all plays, and he was the one who Dak had wide open every play because they didn't respect him.

Easy to be the check down guy who gets open when they don't respect you enough to really even cover you. 7 defenders if they don't blitz. One has to stay with Zeke. Double Coop, Double CD. Thats five. You going to double Gallup or try to single him and single Schultz.

On most plays Schultz went against the 6th best pass defender on their team. Please --- no more Coop was #3. He was always the one doubled, and Dak inaccuracy didn't allow him to throw in tight windows, so he "checked down" to the TE who was going against the 6th or 7th best pass defender on the defense. Hence the statement "check down Charlie".

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No just because he caught the ball on 5-7 yard outs and fell for 10 when they didn't cover him because there was a 1 in Coop being double teamed, and a 1a in CD that they were trying to double, and a #2 in Gallup that needed attention, and they couldn't forget about Zeke coming out of the backfield.

Schultz was at best the #4 receiver on almost all plays, and he was the one who Dak had wide open every play because they didn't respect him.

Easy to be the check down guy who gets open when they don't respect you enough to really even cover you. 7 defenders if they don't blitz. One has to stay with Zeke. Double Coop, Double CD. Thats five. You going to double Gallup or try to single him and single Schultz.

On most plays Schultz went against the 6th best pass defender on their team. Please --- no more Coop was #3. He was always the one doubled, and Dak inaccuracy didn't allow him to throw in tight windows, so he "checked down" to the TE who was going against the 6th or 7th best pass defender on the defense. Hence the statement "check down Charlie".

Another angry Coop apologist I see. The numbers dont lie. Coop was expandable for being the #3 target on the team. Not to mention he was oft injured.

The lie that Cooper was the one facing all the double teams has already been proven to be completely false.

I guess you can go watch the Browns now. They should be awesome. If Watson plays out of the gate, the best running game in the NFL and Cooper at WR they should be a handful.

I like Cooper, but he was expendable based on Lamb and Shultz being the 1 and 2 option here.

Mannix

Reaction score

Thank you!

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Another angry Coop apologist I see. The numbers dont lie. Coop was expandable for being the #3 target on the team. Not to mention he was oft injured.

The lie that Cooper was the one facing all the double teams has already been proven to be completely false.

I guess you can go watch the Browns now. They should be awesome. If Watson plays out of the gate, the best running game in the NFL and Cooper at WR they should be a handful.

I like Cooper, but he was expendable based on Lamb and Shultz being the 1 and 2 option here.
Keep sipping that Cowboys Kool-Aid if you think Schultz was the reason.

kumizi

Reaction score
It’s not like we need the cap space. Why tie yourself to him long term? Based on the pre draft visits, they’ll be looking to draft his replacement.

Flamma

Reaction score
well, what is he worth? 8,9M per year (according to fans). McKeon is a JAG at this point. we lose cooper, wilson, 2/5 of the recieving group with great production between them (30%). losing Schultz would have really hampered the pass catching group (the three had about 50% of total recieving yards), and specially leave us thin at TE.....

three other TEs similar to Schultz also got tagged by their teams this year, so there wasn't much in the market and please please please PLEASE don't mention OJ Howard, given he is at best a half decent back up and was relegated to 3rd string duties on his old team who didn't want to keep him. He got a minimal contract to be back up with Bills.

schultz in terms of production was 4,5th in the league in most categories. he is not elite. he is not Kittle, Kelce or Mark Andrews. those guys are in the 15M per year range. Pitts was a top 10 pick and on his rookie deal. Schultz is right behind them. so 10.8M, for second tier TEs is not too bad. given we haven't given him a long term deal nor are there any talks that I am aware of, tells me we probably will draft a TE, see how McKeon progresses and in the mean time make sure we don't create another hole in offense. there are only so many draft picks. so giving up an extra, what? couple of million is not a bad approach. this was one off season move I didn't disagree with it.

His market value is around 12-13M per year. That's what he's going to want. I doubt the Cowboys pay him that, but someone else probably will.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

schultz was 4th in YPC among TEs.
His market value is around 12-13M per year. That's what he's going to want. I doubt the Cowboys pay him that, but someone else probably will.
probably....that's the market right now, so the 11M is not a bad deal, and if they don't want to go that high for a TE, then its a smart move for one year.

plymkr

Reaction score
well, what is he worth? 8,9M per year (according to fans). McKeon is a JAG at this point. we lose cooper, wilson, 2/5 of the recieving group with great production between them (30%). losing Schultz would have really hampered the pass catching group (the three had about 50% of total recieving yards), and specially leave us thin at TE.....

three other TEs similar to Schultz also got tagged by their teams this year, so there wasn't much in the market and please please please PLEASE don't mention OJ Howard, given he is at best a half decent back up and was relegated to 3rd string duties on his old team who didn't want to keep him. He got a minimal contract to be back up with Bills.

schultz in terms of production was 4,5th in the league in most categories. he is not elite. he is not Kittle, Kelce or Mark Andrews. those guys are in the 15M per year range. Pitts was a top 10 pick and on his rookie deal. Schultz is right behind them. so 10.8M, for second tier TEs is not too bad. given we haven't given him a long term deal nor are there any talks that I am aware of, tells me we probably will draft a TE, see how McKeon progresses and in the mean time make sure we don't create another hole in offense. there are only so many draft picks. so giving up an extra, what? couple of million is not a bad approach. this was one off season move I didn't disagree with it.
Nice post. Got me rethinking the Schultz franchise tag issue. I was pretty down on it till now. I would like to see him sign a multi year contract before July 15 but if he stays on the tag, at least we're not totally getting ripped off.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
There's no way he's playing this year under the franchise tag 10.9 million.. He isn't worth it. From his point of view it's 10.9 million guaranteed for one year, He can bet on himself and get paid again next year. Dallas can A. sign him and get the cap hit down. B. Draft a replacement C. Sign or trade for another TE. Then rescind the tag.
Fair question.
Guessing he wants more money that Stephen is offering.
Shocking, I know.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
schultz was 4th in YPC among TEs.

<snip>.
Only in name was he a TE. A TE can block in line. He could not block in line. He could not block in the open field. He did catch the ball well, but there was not a DC in the league that made him more than the #4 option when trying to cover guys. Dallas had legit WR's last year, and Dak took what he was given. This isn't to put down Schultz as a receiver, nor Dak as an inaccurate passer............ As the year went along they figured out that with the injured OL and inability to run outside due to the inability of Shultz to block, they made Dallas one dimensional. Dak is not the most accurate passer. I don't think that is questionable. So, as the season went along, teams started zoning and doubling the WR's and making Dak throw to tight windows (which he couldn't) or drive the field by checking down to the TE who caught well, but acted more as a 4th WR than a TE as he caught 5-7 yard catches and fell for a few more -- apparently about 10.

Schultz is what he is. Dak is what he is. If you want to improve, you fix the OL so you can run, and that includes the TE. When you aren't one dimensional, you can control the ball, control the clock, and control the game.

Keep doing what they have been doing and expect the same results that they have been getting.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Check down means he didn't run the big seam routes, not that he wasn't a good receiver.

He just wasn't a big enough threat with Coop drawing double teams, CD needing attention and Gallup getting jump balls.

Regardless of his YPC numbers you state, he can't block, and he was at best the #4 option.
sorry those aren't not what TE traditionally due and his YPC 10.9 that chain mover that what TEs do..check out his average on that turn into 1st downs.. says hes getting more then the average YPC then most TE s get off the clueless DS hate train. His salary is not way out of line on the tag, look over the list and the costs of the top 10 paid YEs and he has top 3 production. Makes sense if you aren't trolling.. JW is going to the HOF on the Charlie checkdown type TE.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
OP doesn’t know that they only tagged him so they could have time to find his replacement. He’s gone next year. Not too hard to understand.
They tagged Shultz because he is a top 10 NFL tight end that would have received a big contract on the open market. Just because the Cowboys are looking at tight ends in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds does not mean they don’t want resign him. The Cowboys offense is at its best in 12 personnel (two tight end). The Cowboys want Shultz or they would not have tagged him. The problem is the front office like some fans don’t understand that Shultz is a 12 million dollar tight end on the open market. Also the injury to Jarwin knows killed all doubt that he was coming back.