Why Hasn't Dalton Shultz Signed A Long Term Contract Yet

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's no way he's playing this year under the franchise tag 10.9 million.. He isn't worth it. From his point of view it's 10.9 million guaranteed for one year, He can bet on himself and get paid again next year. Dallas can A. sign him and get the cap hit down. B. Draft a replacement C. Sign or trade for another TE. Then rescind the tag.
He just signed the tag a little over 2 weeks ago. If everything was that ready to sign up they wouldn't have used the tag at all. Give it a bit.

Nexx

Reaction score
its 100% worth it to lock him up for one more year and not have to commit huge long term contract or a high draft pick to replace him this year.

JBS

Reaction score
They tagged Shultz because he is a top 10 NFL tight end that would have received a big contract on the open market. Just because the Cowboys are looking at tight ends in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds does not mean they don’t want resign him. The Cowboys offense is at its best in 12 personnel (two tight end). The Cowboys want Shultz or they would not have tagged him. The problem is the front office like some fans don’t understand that Shultz is a 12 million dollar tight end on the open market. Also the injury to Jarwin knows killed all doubt that he was coming back.

you know what means they don’t want to sign him? The fact that they aren’t even talking about an extension w Daltons reps. ZERO communication. That’s why they won’t sign him bc they don’t want to. Der

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Keep sipping that Cowboys Kool-Aid if you think Schultz was the reason.

Shultz, Gallup, Lamb were the reason. Cooper and his salary were the reason. If you want the facts I can show them to you. Or you can look them up for your self.

Cooper was the #3 pass catcher on this team at a salary of 22 million per year. The writing was on the wall. Easy call.

It basically came down to who are you going to keep? Cooper or Shultz and Gallup. Basically matching salaries.

Very very easy decision there. Especially considering having Lamb on top of it.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
you know what means they don’t want to sign him? The fact that they aren’t even talking about an extension w Daltons reps. ZERO communication. That’s why they won’t sign him bc they don’t want to. Der
How do you know they have not talked to him? From the same rumors that we were going to sign Wagner, Honey Badger, and Z.Smith? :omg::facepalm: There is no evidence at all that says the Cowboys don’t want him back.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys are fishing to see if there is an in-line blocking TE who can also catch available in the drafts.

Everyone else in the league is on the same hunt. Dallas just bought themselves another year of fishing for a reasonable price.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Only in name was he a TE. A TE can block in line. He could not block in line. He could not block in the open field. He did catch the ball well, but there was not a DC in the league that made him more than the #4 option when trying to cover guys. Dallas had legit WR's last year, and Dak took what he was given. This isn't to put down Schultz as a receiver, nor Dak as an inaccurate passer............ As the year went along they figured out that with the injured OL and inability to run outside due to the inability of Shultz to block, they made Dallas one dimensional. Dak is not the most accurate passer. I don't think that is questionable. So, as the season went along, teams started zoning and doubling the WR's and making Dak throw to tight windows (which he couldn't) or drive the field by checking down to the TE who caught well, but acted more as a 4th WR than a TE as he caught 5-7 yard catches and fell for a few more -- apparently about 10.

Schultz is what he is. Dak is what he is. If you want to improve, you fix the OL so you can run, and that includes the TE. When you aren't one dimensional, you can control the ball, control the clock, and control the game.

Keep doing what they have been doing and expect the same results that they have been getting.
well, not all TEs are good blockers. not all good blocking TEs can catch...the good ones ala Kittle, Kelce, Goedert are elite and get paid elite money....

and he took what was given. took advantage. got the yards. got the catches. they didn't game plan for him, but they had to account for him.

and what you said, goes for most of the TEs in the league, except the top 4,5 I consider elite (although Pitts can't block neither....).....they are paid in the 15M range.....like I said several other TEs hit FA and they all got tagged. teams, just didn't want to deal with the escalating market. so if he is worth what? 7,8,9M. its better to pay the 2M and not create another great need given we lost two other pass catchers. we already have plenty of holes to address. the cowboys I am sure will draft one, if they don't extend Schultz.

JBS

Reaction score
How do you know they have not talked to him? From the same rumors that we were going to sign Wagner, Honey Badger, and Z.Smith? :omg::facepalm: There is no evidence at all that says the Cowboys don’t want him back.
You aren’t paying attention. Look and you will see reporters talking about it.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The reports are speculated. Shultz will be a Cowboy next season. I have you heard Cowboys management or Shultz agent say anything? Jeff Cavanaugh and Fish can speculate all they want. It does not matter.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really doesn't mean that at all. The Cowboys have tagged people before that it took time to get signed to a longer term deal. Other teams have as well. Schultz just signed his tag a little over 2 weeks ago, and this buys time. Dez Bryant, DeMarcus Lawrence, and most famously, Dak Prescott all were tagged before signing a longer term deal.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thinking is why tabloid media exists. There are always people eager to bite onto what ever bait is tossed out.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
well, what is he worth? 8,9M per year (according to fans). McKeon is a JAG at this point. we lose cooper, wilson, 2/5 of the recieving group with great production between them (30%). losing Schultz would have really hampered the pass catching group (the three had about 50% of total recieving yards), and specially leave us thin at TE.....

three other TEs similar to Schultz also got tagged by their teams this year, so there wasn't much in the market and please please please PLEASE don't mention OJ Howard, given he is at best a half decent back up and was relegated to 3rd string duties on his old team who didn't want to keep him. He got a minimal contract to be back up with Bills.

schultz in terms of production was 4,5th in the league in most categories. he is not elite. he is not Kittle, Kelce or Mark Andrews. those guys are in the 15M per year range. Pitts was a top 10 pick and on his rookie deal. Schultz is right behind them. so 10.8M, for second tier TEs is not too bad. given we haven't given him a long term deal nor are there any talks that I am aware of, tells me we probably will draft a TE, see how McKeon progresses and in the mean time make sure we don't create another hole in offense. there are only so many draft picks. so giving up an extra, what? couple of million is not a bad approach. this was one off season move I didn't disagree with it.
He is a serviceable TE and has gotten better every season

jnday

Reaction score
There's no way he's playing this year under the franchise tag 10.9 million.. He isn't worth it. From his point of view it's 10.9 million guaranteed for one year, He can bet on himself and get paid again next year. Dallas can A. sign him and get the cap hit down. B. Draft a replacement C. Sign or trade for another TE. Then rescind the tag.
He has signed the franchise tag paperwork. If I was him, I would not sign anything until next years’ offseason. With the tag, he is making double the money that he is worth. I wouldn’t consider signing anything that would prevent me from making the big bucks during this season.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
If i was Schultz....i would play on my franchise tag...put up big numbers with Dak at QB since he will be checking down even more this season, then get the heck out of Dodge to the highest bidder. Or someplace i can win. He went to Stanford so i am sure he is a bright guy.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He has signed the franchise tag paperwork. If I was him, I would not sign anything until next years’ offseason. With the tag, he is making double the money that he is worth. I wouldn’t consider signing anything that would prevent me from making the big bucks during this season.

Correct.

people also have to remember that Schultz isn’t going to accept any long term deal unless the guaranteed money far outweighs the current guaranteed money in the franchise tag.

which would not be a good contract for the cowboys to offer because Schultz just isn’t worth that.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
They have months to get him signed. Right now free agency and the draft is the priority. Why would they even be talking to him right now? All in good time.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Knowing this FO they want him long term but are too stubborn to finalize the deal and will pay more later.
Hopefully I’m wrong but we’ve seen this song and dance before

Agreed we know they want to set the market but play around until the player says I DON'T LOVE YOU ANYMORE JERRY!! JERRY CAVES IN!!

Proof

Reaction score
TE's have a much smaller price point for franchise tags then WR's. It was a great move to be honest.

what does that have to do with anything? they signed gallup outright, so it's not like it was an either or situation lol.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

We need to give Shultze what it takes to keep him. He is a legend in the NFC East.