Why Hasn't Dalton Shultz Signed A Long Term Contract Yet

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
He would get at least 8 mil more likely 10 mil a year on a Contract. That is probably why.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Schultz might be mediocre, but on this team that means having a ton of leverage. All he needs to do is keep his mouth shut and be decent this season, and this FO would be dumb enough to dump cash on him. And if he gets injured at the end of the year, that will really increase his worth in the eyes of Daddy & Son.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If any of us were Schultz or his agent you don't want to sign a contract untill the money is right. You know you'll have big numbers again cause we have less overall talent at the, we, and OL which will cause Dak to check things down to Schultz. TE's haven't seen the pay raise WR's have been getting but it's coming. Be patient and bet on yourself and the money will come in but he will need to be an unrestricted free agent.

quickccc

Reaction score
[QUOTE="texbumthelife, post: 11828901, member: 11053"

He’ll play on the tag this year. Next off-season Stephen will tell him to go find his value on the open market before he makes him an offer. They’ll then get out priced and Schultz will say he wanted to be in Dallas and would have played for less, but the Cowboys never made him an offer. Stephen will counter with they didn’t think they could afford him.[/QUOTE]

- If we draft a TE as early as 2nd round that alone would put all of the Schultz' future to rest.

- The only other way it could be different is if the Cowboys decide to conjure up this 2 TE offense - ala Philly with Ertz (since traded)/ Dallas Goedert
and that would be odd and foolish to run the offense thru a limited TE such as Schultz.

- if we draft a TE in the 4th round, that's just having backup insurance and 12 personnel workings (the new Blake Jarwin 2.0)
All depends upon what happens in this upcoming draft with the TEs,..

- if a long term deal is evitable, Cowboys have until mid summer to strike a deal. and they are not in a rush at this point.

khiladi

Reaction score
Should have franchised Dak before last year, because Jerry had all the leverage. Not only did the Jones’ boys cave financially, they have him a no-trade clause as well, despite the job being probably the biggest endorsement loving position in all of professional sports while coming off a broken leg. The defining moment proving once and for all how dumb this FO is.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can't help but to suspect that he'll be sent packing next year if we're fortunate enough to find a better TE in the draft.

Of course, if he somehow manages to improve his blocking skills sufficiently, he'll possibly be asked to return in 2023.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Try it this way.....

Is Schultz twice the player Austin Hooper is?

No....and he was there for the taking.

Whatever.....its just....coupling a move like this with being so cheap otherwise.

They could have easily saved cap dollars there, but Checkdown Chuck needs his blankie I guess.

Don't want to put anyone outside their comfort zone now.

Not breaking news here....but Dak Prescott and Kellen Moore are a crappy combo if you're playing reality football. Stats are fantasy football.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10.9 YPC says otherwise its right there with top TE production clueless responses around here go check his numbers top 3 for all TES..

Written must have been HOF check down Charlie he hardly ever averaged over 10,,
Witten could block.....This kid can't or won't.

Loso86

Reaction score
There's no way he's playing this year under the franchise tag 10.9 million.. He isn't worth it. From his point of view it's 10.9 million guaranteed for one year, He can bet on himself and get paid again next year. Dallas can A. sign him and get the cap hit down. B. Draft a replacement C. Sign or trade for another TE. Then rescind the tag.
I don't think they want to honestly. When Barwins news broke that's when they tagged him

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
what does that have to do with anything? they signed gallup outright, so it's not like it was an either or situation lol.

cuz it’s cheaper to sign Schultz to the franchise and cut cooper. You can actually keep both Shultz and Gallup for the price of cooper. Which would you do?

I take it your not a math wiz?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Schultz hasnt signed because he wants big money long-term and he has to play pout this year on the tag to get to URFA.
DAL didn't have many other options so paid him the one year to the kick the can down the road a year but will try to replace him in the draft.

Schultz is very much worth his tag price. Look around at what others got paid.
But Dallas is too cheap to guarantee him that type of money long-term.

conner01

Reaction score
There's no way he's playing this year under the franchise tag 10.9 million.. He isn't worth it. From his point of view it's 10.9 million guaranteed for one year, He can bet on himself and get paid again next year. Dallas can A. sign him and get the cap hit down. B. Draft a replacement C. Sign or trade for another TE. Then rescind the tag.
Why wouldn’t he play on tag
He signed it
I don’t get why he’s not worth it but worth signing to a long term deal which is gonna cost as much though it could be spread out more

Rayman70

Reaction score
Why wouldn’t he play on tag
He signed it
I don’t get why he’s not worth it but worth signing to a long term deal which is gonna cost as much though it could be spread out more
My hunch is they will get a deal signed.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Me god, the most gracious the most merciful, hath spoken to me (again). She says the cowboys will use Shultz sparingly in 2022 then allow him to re-sign with the Cowboys or be dumped for his 30 catches in 2022.
Shultze is a legend in his own rind.