Routes can be monotonous and predictable
Allows too much leeway for defenders to play the catch point
Needs to play bigger in space and use his frame
Lacks speed to attack over top
Struggles to separate against man coverage on intermediate routes
Could have somewhat limited workspace as NFL pass catcher
Not as physical after the catch
Slows feet into contact and won't always fall forward
Strikes first, but will lose initial hand placement when long defenders get into him
Can improve approach angles to help keep angle blocks centered

conner01

Reaction score
He just signed the tag a little over 2 weeks ago. If everything was that ready to sign up they wouldn't have used the tag at all. Give it a bit.
Exactly
And I don’t think they can rescind the tag once he signs it
If a player doesn’t sign it they can

conner01

Reaction score
Dalton's scouting report.

• Strengths
  • Very tenacious and tough as a blocker
  • Well-schooled in blocking fundamentals
  • Leaned on as a vital part of the run blocking unit
so he can't block hum

Weaknesses
Receiving production has been underwhelming throughout his career
Routes can be monotonous and predictable
Allows too much leeway for defenders to play the catch point
Needs to play bigger in space and use his frame
Lacks speed to attack over top
Struggles to separate against man coverage on intermediate routes
Could have somewhat limited workspace as NFL pass catcher
Not as physical after the catch
Slows feet into contact and won't always fall forward
Strikes first, but will lose initial hand placement when long defenders get into him
Can improve approach angles to help keep angle blocks centered
Kinda bass ackwards lol

garyv

Reaction score
He already signed it. Whether they work out a deal by July 15th remains to be seen, but rescinding the tag is no longer an option.

They will either extend him like 3 or 4 year deal for 6 or 7 mil a year or let him play on his 10.9 mil tag this year
draft a TE this coming draft than after this season let him walk amd someone else can pay him. They have options
but just in case they don't draft a TE or sign one they have him for 2022 anyway after that whatever they decide.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
To me he’s the opposite of his pre draft
He’s not a great blocker but he is a solid receiver
His numbers aren’t really average
it's more telling of dak, he can't find his WRs because of fear or slow processing, so he goes to his blanket.

Proof

Reaction score
cuz it’s cheaper to sign Schultz to the franchise and cut cooper. You can actually keep both Shultz and Gallup for the price of cooper. Which would you do?

I take it your not a math wiz?

oh i’m sorry for interpreting and responding to your words directly as presented. you brought up the wr franchise tag when it was never necessary or in play and not justification for using on Schulz

speaking of math, take a look at our current cap space and let me know if coopers contract (before it was easily and wisely restructures) fits there with gallup and schulz signed. if you’d like help, i’ll tell you. yes.

so there really was mo reason for an either or. could have all, and if handled with a little common sense could have all for significantly less.

anywho franchising schulz was dumb. franchising schulz and giving amari away was dumber. franchising schulz, giving amari away and re-signing gallup when he won’t be ready to start the season was dumb and reckless

Flamma

Reaction score
They will either extend him like 3 or 4 year deal for 6 or 7 mil a year or let him play on his 10.9 mil tag this year
draft a TE this coming draft than after this season let him walk amd someone else can pay him. They have options
but just in case they don't draft a TE or sign one they have him for 2022 anyway after that whatever they decide.

When was the last time a player for the Cowboys took almost half his market value coming off his rookie season?

Dalton Schultz Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

conner01

Reaction score
it's more telling of dak, he can't find his WRs because of fear or slow processing, so he goes to his blanket.
He was top 5 in completions, completion pct, TD
I guess he found someone
He was top 7 in yards so I guess they weren’t all dink and dunks

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
He was top 5 in completions, completion pct, TD
I guess he found someone
He was top 7 in yards so I guess they weren’t all dink and dunks
yep, and the game was still on the line when he put these junk stats up. :facepalm:

conner01

Reaction score
yep, and the game was still on the line when he put these junk stats up. :facepalm:
Every QB in the league has junk stats
Why doesn’t it matter when they have them
The league all play each other so junk stats as you call them even themselves out
You can’t be in the top of the league in almost every stat from just junk stats

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
The league all play each other so junk stats as you call them even themselves out

Here's a stat, Tim Tebow's playoff record is better than the baby daks. I guess that means he's better than dak? right, you can't have a better playoff record and not be better.

Tim Tebow had a passer rating of 90.0 with 452 yards and 2 touchdowns in 2 games in the playoffs in his career
1-1

Dak Prescott has a passer rating of 87.9 with 1,048 yards, 6 touchdowns, and 3 interceptions in 4 games in the playoffs in his career
Dak Prescott is 1-3

conner01

Reaction score
Here's a stat, Tim Tebow's playoff record is better than the baby daks. I guess that means he's better than dak? right, you can't have a better playoff record and not be better.

Tim Tebow had a passer rating of 90.0 with 452 yards and 2 touchdowns in 2 games in the playoffs in his career
1-1

Dak Prescott has a passer rating of 87.9 with 1,048 yards, 6 touchdowns, and 3 interceptions in 4 games in the playoffs in his career
Dak Prescott is 1-3
It’s comical that a guy who couldn’t catch on with any team in the nfl and had one good game you compare to a guy actually is and will be for years, an actual nfl QB

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
It’s comical that a guy who couldn’t catch on with any team in the nfl and had one good game you compare to a guy actually is and will be for years, an actual nfl QB
why is it comical when he has better playoff stats than the baby dak.
you know, stats don't lie.

Flamma

Reaction score

You're just using averages here. In week 3 Jalen Hurts threw for 326 yards against us. Do you remember Jalen having a good game? I don't. That's because he got half of them at the end when it didn't matter. Game was already over. Those are junk stats. Some of us seem to notice Dak getting a lot of yards in these situations, and not getting a lot of yards in other situations. Or should I say, when it counts. Barring a few exceptions of course.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
There's no way he's playing this year under the franchise tag 10.9 million.. He isn't worth it. From his point of view it's 10.9 million guaranteed for one year, He can bet on himself and get paid again next year. Dallas can A. sign him and get the cap hit down. B. Draft a replacement C. Sign or trade for another TE. Then rescind the tag.
He over values himself.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
well, what is he worth? 8,9M per year (according to fans). McKeon is a JAG at this point. we lose cooper, wilson, 2/5 of the recieving group with great production between them (30%). losing Schultz would have really hampered the pass catching group (the three had about 50% of total recieving yards), and specially leave us thin at TE.....

three other TEs similar to Schultz also got tagged by their teams this year, so there wasn't much in the market and please please please PLEASE don't mention OJ Howard, given he is at best a half decent back up and was relegated to 3rd string duties on his old team who didn't want to keep him. He got a minimal contract to be back up with Bills.

schultz in terms of production was 4,5th in the league in most categories. he is not elite. he is not Kittle, Kelce or Mark Andrews. those guys are in the 15M per year range. Pitts was a top 10 pick and on his rookie deal. Schultz is right behind them. so 10.8M, for second tier TEs is not too bad. given we haven't given him a long term deal nor are there any talks that I am aware of, tells me we probably will draft a TE, see how McKeon progresses and in the mean time make sure we don't create another hole in offense. there are only so many draft picks. so giving up an extra, what? couple of million is not a bad approach. this was one off season move I didn't disagree with it.

Yeah I don't get the Schultz hate, the franchise tag is a fair price considering market value was 12+ million a season. I get there are some intriguing names that were out there that signed short term prove it deals, but none are better than Schultz.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yeah I don't get the Schultz hate, the franchise tag is a fair price considering market value was 12+ million a season. I get there are some intriguing names that were out there that signed short term prove it deals, but none are better than Schultz.
if Schultz was on another team and we would sign him to that...people would be clamouring and happy that we signed a big name FA...but when he is on our team and we sign him, people scream why...I think its once bitten twice shy syndrome. given the bad contracts we handed out to Dak, Zeke, Lawrence